• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Who uses a laptop for gaming?

jahanzeb ali qureshi

Reaction score
I prefer to play the games on a desktop computer rather than a PC but whenever I am travelling or moving to another city for a few days then I keep my laptop with me. I use to play games on it so I don't get bored on the way.

I love to play games on the desktop because of its performance and proper handling. I like to play on laptop because of portability and mobility.

ulfhedin

Reaction score
The best thing about laptop gaming, is that its mobile, and you can take it anywhere. My Alienware Alpha is nice, for I can take it anywhere as well. I bought a case for my alpha so I could stay mobile and have a powerful PC gaming machine. The only drawback would be the monitor I have to tote around.

Chiara

Reaction score
I used to do that! When I bought my very first laptop it came with a bunch of games and they were very addictive to me. I remember playing most of the "Dash" games from PlayFirst.

Sino989

Reaction score
I sometimes use my laptop for gaming. I don't play games that need a lot of power out of a pc to run because I own a PS4 so I play those games on there but my laptop does a very good job at running games smoothly.

Skybandino

Reaction score
I have an Msi Gaming laptop that I take on the go. Before I made a gaming pc I would use this and older laptops for gaming. This was when I was in university as I needed the mobility. Now that I have settled down with my own gaming pc I barely touch my laptop. I find the desktop experience superior to the laptop experience if I have a choice in choosing.

Pady

Reaction score
Yeah, It is kind of funny but some people uses a laptop.:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: And ones upon a time I tried to play, but I could say that never ever:emoji-rage: ever ever use a laptop to play a game.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
Me. When I bought my laptop I asked the salesman to give me one that can handle games like Fallout 4, so I won't have any trouble. Right now I'm playing on my Lenovo Z50 and I'm satisfied.

Lilith

Reaction score
I have always preferred a desktop for most things. Laptops are nice for getting quick work done on the go. A long time ago I had a job where I would travel to different cities and take photos and upload them (this was before you could just upload from your phone). My laptop was good for that. I do sometimes do casual games on my laptop, but I try to keep it to just work and forums.

The problem is that most people think that laptops are better than desktops. If you want something that you can carry around in a tote bag. Then you have something that is "better" than a desktop but that is just about it. You can't even upgrade most if not all laptops. Owning a desktop is ideal because you can always upgrade it to meet the standards that today's world demands.

Who thinks that laptops are better? I don't know anyone who really thinks laptops are better then desktops, they just tend to be cheaper to start with and take up less space. Everyone I know agrees that if you can have only one a desktop is the way to go unless you don't have room for a desk. Even when I was younger and moved around a lot I always had a desktop. I didn't get a laptop until I was older and could afford both.

Empire

Reaction score
My first Laptop played Halo for hours on in till I got bored and it wasn't an gaming laptop, had XP on it and it was secondhand at the time. Regards to heavy gaming, I used to own an Asus G751 (worth $2,000) and it was an very good system and played allot of games on high settings. I had it for two and a half years until I moved to united kingdom and as I got it back after 7 months not being used it was messed up so bad that I had to sold the working parts as the chip on the main board failed. Ever since then I got my gaming desktop going before I got the Asus.

The all in all that Desktops are made for gaming they are the best for gaming then a laptop.

fl1pz

Reaction score
I have to be the only one in my group of friends that prefers playing on a laptop rather than a PC. I just love the features of a laptop more than a big huge PC. You can bring the laptop with you anywhere you go, the screen is not so big, and it is so easy to setup. I do not have any problems with overheating because I have bought a pretty great fan though, so that makes me adore my laptop even more.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
My friend uses a laptop for gaming. No matter how expensive it is, it still won't compare to a PC. From changeable parts, to a bigger screen, a computer is the pinnacle of gaming platforms and you know it. There's really little negative side to using one, and the only gaming obstacle is for video game franchises who are exclusive to consoles, like Mario Kart, etc. And even then, there are emulators out there that can let you play those games on a powerful enough PC which can run those games from scratch.

dbwv

Reaction score
My only PC is a laptop, so I have no choice. In addition, I have a low end HP laptop that was on sale for less than $300, so you know it isn't very good for games.

However, considering the specs of the laptop, it does an amazing job. Of course, I have to do tweaks of my own with the soecs being so weak. But the thing runs games it has no business being aboe to run....I must give it props!!

This is how I got more power from it:

* I set the graphics and such down

* Before gaming, I shut down as many background programs as possible to free up RAM

* I use a 16 or 32GB (can't remember) USB flashdrive with ReadyBoost to give me about 4GBs of Virtual RAM

* I set it up to free more resources when the laptop is plugged in

* I overclocked my processor and gained around 25% more "power" from it that way

Actually, I did several other things that I just cannot remember because it was last winter. None of this is going to perform a miracle, but you can squeeze extra power out of these things. Each of these things gives only a small boost in performance, but they do add up and I can play games for which my PC does Not even meet the very minimum requirements. It truly amazed me when I went from disappointed that I couldn't play games I bought to playing them and having them run quite smoothly. I wish I remembered everything I did because it made a noticeable difference and I am sympathetic to those who have to make due with what they have.

SirJoe

Reaction score
I have to be the only one in my group of friends that prefers playing on a laptop rather than a PC. I just love the features of a laptop more than a big huge PC. You can bring the laptop with you anywhere you go, the screen is not so big, and it is so easy to setup. I do not have any problems with overheating because I have bought a pretty great fan though, so that makes me adore my laptop even more.
I think that it is the most compelling point about playing on a laptop, it's mobility. The fact that you can play a game anywhere and at any time is probably the reason there are people that buy gaming laptops.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I have used laptop for gaming while I was studying. At the time it was a decent model, but if I did not plan to study at that time I would buy PC instead.

Laptops are not really meant for gaming unless they are exclusively made for gaming. And those usually cost quite some money, too. If you are not a person that travels a lot, your best bet is to build your own PC. If you are unsure how to do so and what hardware to choose, I am sure people on the forum will be more than glad to help.

Laptops can be real pain to deal with. They tend to overheat (not all of them, but a lot of them do). You need to clean it more often. If it has only 1 exit / vent it can easily get clogged up with dust and make it overheat even more. If you are under warranty and do not want to break it, you would want to take it to the service to deal with those issues. If you are not under warranty and you want to do it yourself, it isn't too hard, but certain models have so many screws and you need to take apart the whole thing to clean it up. My roommate had such a laptop and taking it apart took forever. Mine was really simple to open up and clean, I could have done it 4 times in a row while my roommate deals with his laptop.

Do not buy just about anything built by certain shops either. I have seen plenty of shops offering "great deals" but their configurations are far away from being great. Be it the power consumption, issues between each other not being a good combination, to choosing really bad models of processors and such. Your best bet is to research it yourself, order the things you like and know that will work fine together and that's about it.

SashaS

Reaction score
Not that its the best thing for gaming, because it is more a work-oriented laptop, but I use my MacBook Air. It actually tends to run pretty much everything I throw at it with ease and the fans don't even turn on thanks to the optimization OS X provides, paired with that lowered powered i5. Sure, integrated graphics won't let me jam the latest Battlefield or COD, but for the simple games I currently play like CS:GO, Terraria, The Binding of Isaac and Stardew Valley, its great.

I'd love to get a full-fledged gaming rig one day, but money...

Harrysung

Reaction score
I use laptop for most of my gaming together with gaming pad. I play games like FIFA, Pes, GTA, all NFS franchise, and some flash games.

Harrysung

Reaction score
I use laptop for most of my gaming together with gaming pad. I play games like FIFA, Pes, GTA, all NFS franchise, and some flash games.

hermessantos

Reaction score
Despite having a desktop PC and using it to play, I also use a laptop for games.
The great advantage for me is simply the comfort of being able to lie down in bed and play my games. However, I usually use the laptop less often because it does not support all my games.

ShoryukenPizza

Reaction score
Despite having a desktop PC and using it to play, I also use a laptop for games.
I use laptop for most of my gaming together with gaming pad.
Not that its the best thing for gaming, because it is more a work-oriented laptop, but I use my MacBook Air.

Its interesting to see how many people use a laptop for gaming! As for myself, I use one too lol. Its barely near any sort of "gaming laptop". Just an i7 with a basic Nvidia card, but I can run anything on it. I always play on the lowest graphic setting for the maximum performance and fps. I feel like its sort of a taboo in the gaming realm to use a laptop. My laptop constantly overheats when I'm streaming and then I'll be stuck in 5 fps mode until I restart it. My next upgrade would be getting a laptop cooler.

I get about 30-40 fps playing King of the Kill and its totally playable although the game itself doesn't help to optimize performance in any way at all. I get much better fps in Guild Wars 2 though!

overcast

Reaction score
I have laptop at home. And though playing games on laptop is painful. I still do it for many reasons. I have found that playing laptop and gaming is not that bad. Though some of the games are better performing on the console due tog graphics options. I think consoles are better but due to financial issues, my option currently is limited to the PC. I'd switch if I had the funds though.