• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Who uses a laptop for gaming?

niightwind

Reaction score
I use a laptop, but only because its the only thing I have for PC gaming. I can't afford to get a desktop or upgrade my current laptop, so I have to make-do with it. It sucks sometimes though, because it overheats a lot, no matter how often I clean it.

zanderlex

Reaction score
I only use a laptop for my games since that's where I already have my Steam games set up and I have more than 100 games there. I could get a desktop and play there and it might be better in the end, but overall it would take so long to re download all the games.

Pyrlia

Reaction score
I only game on a laptop, since I don't have a desktop PC. I have to admit that it can be a bummer, since it means that I just don't have the specs to play some good games (especially since my laptop isn't specifically a gaming laptop). Still, it means that I get the fun of finding old and indie games that are doable! Have to admit, though, I'll be upgrading to a better set-up as soon as I can afford it.

EntropiaAddict

Reaction score
I use a Surface Pro 3 for both gaming and work while I am away from home. When at home, I use my laptop if I feel like watching TV while playing, otherwise, I use my desktop in my home office. I don't tend to play cutting edge games on the PC though, I play most of those on the Xbox One or PS4, so not even sure if the Surface could handle some of the newer games. However, for the games I do play (SW:TOR, Entropia Universe, GW, GW2, Diablo III, Civilization V, etc.) the Surface works just fine.

Steamroller

Reaction score
I use my laptop to play real time strategy games like starcraft, or just turn based rpg vaporware. I only use my desktop PC for modern games such as Witcher 3 or the new revamped Doom.

Dowls

Reaction score
I used to use a Laptop for gaming, purely because I bought it while being uneducated on the subject. However I also owned a current gen console (360/Ps3) at the time, meaning PC gaming for me was purely games such as WarZ and Minecraft. Even then it was a horrible experience.

I've got a gaming desktop I built myself, have been building PC's for around 7 years now however I'm also in the market for a laptop for web development. Price to performance on laptops is the huge turnoff for me. Even if I was looking to play casually while I was on the road could I really justify paying £700+ for a laptop that will at best run a game as well as a console while sounding like a jet and burning anything it's sat on to death?

taco

Reaction score
I use a laptop and a desktop for gaming, each has its purpose. The desktop handles graphic intensive games, like COD or Ashes of Singularity, and the PC is good for taking to lan parties, playing strategy games, or playing casual games.

gamer2x

Reaction score
I do use the laptop for gaming but only as backup option because actively I play games only on the console.

I use the laptop for games like counter strike and cricket and for the other ones I just stick to my console.

Games in laptop ensures that whenever I am free or traveling I can easily play the games which I want.

AnonLu

Reaction score
Even though I much prefer my desktop PC, I use a laptop (Quad Core i5 2.6GHz, GTX 965M, 16GB RAM) when I can't use my desktop.

SirJoe

Reaction score
At this point in time I don't have any desktops, I have built a few but I am stuck with a laptop right now. I do like the fact that you can play anywhere you go, but I do miss the real full out performance that you get from a desktop.

Casiox

Reaction score
I have never liked using my laptop for gaming purposes since it would not be any good, it is definitely a device I exclusively use for work purposes and serious things, I mostly use it as a hard disk and that's it but I have never liked gaming on a laptop whatsoever, it's pretty uncomfortable and annoying for me, that's my opinion though.

OutOfSpoons

Reaction score
I used to use my old laptop for gaming before I built my current PC. It was the worse thing ever. Playing Minecraft was almost impossible, and I only got around 10-20 FPS. Goat Simulator also did not want to work, which doesn't surprise me. Didn't take me long to realize I needed a new computer. I'm pretty sure the reason my laptop's fan is slowly dying is because of my years of pushing it to the limit playing video games.

NotCasual

Reaction score
I do, unfortunately, I have to. It is quite a hassle to connect or disconnect all ports including the monitor, which I have to do about every day. Then there is the issue of overheating, which seems to be very easy to accomplish on laptops. Even when the fan isn't covered at all.
Since it's either off or on the brink of overheating, I fear the poor thing won't last very long.

If you're mostly into gaming, I recommend you always get a desktop PC. They're cheaper, and the parts are easier replaceable.

SirJoe

Reaction score
I used to use my old laptop for gaming before I built my current PC. It was the worse thing ever. Playing Minecraft was almost impossible, and I only got around 10-20 FPS. Goat Simulator also did not want to work, which doesn't surprise me. Didn't take me long to realize I needed a new computer. I'm pretty sure the reason my laptop's fan is slowly dying is because of my years of pushing it to the limit playing video games.
There are laptops that are designed for gaming but most aren't. They are designed to use peek power for little periods of time. Even so I don't think that your laptops fan is getting slow because of that. It could be clogged and all it needs is a good cleaning.

Casiox

Reaction score
I do, unfortunately, I have to. It is quite a hassle to connect or disconnect all ports including the monitor, which I have to do about every day. Then there is the issue of overheating, which seems to be very easy to accomplish on laptops. Even when the fan isn't covered at all.
Since it's either off or on the brink of overheating, I fear the poor thing won't last very long.

If you're mostly into gaming, I recommend you always get a desktop PC. They're cheaper, and the parts are easier replaceable.

That's right, but I doubt these are cheaper than laptops since the best pieces are way too expensive and if you're mostly looking to build a gaming PC, then it's going to cost you some good money. If you're really trying to save money and play the same games, then you should go for a console, indeed. That's my opinion.

NotCasual

Reaction score
That's right, but I doubt these are cheaper than laptops since the best pieces are way too expensive and if you're mostly looking to build a gaming PC, then it's going to cost you some good money. If you're really trying to save money and play the same games, then you should go for a console, indeed. That's my opinion.

This isn't true, at all. Even if it's your opinion, facts are facts. You don't need to get the best pieces. You can easily build a PC with older parts that will outperform and cost less than the PS4 or Xbox One.

Going for consoles isn't smart either when you want to save money on games, as console games are VERY expensive. On PC you've got Steam sales and overall lower prices. Bundles. Etc.

Not to mention you can actually do other things on your PC as well since it runs Windows.

Blue Betta

Reaction score
I do! I like PC gaming because I can switch between doing things easily. I also like the portability of a laptop. I don't have much space where I live, so my laptop is easy to store or take with me.
I hear you on the overheating problem, especially here is SoCal (and we're having a heat wave today!). I have a laptop desk, but it's a cheap one, so it doesn't help much. Sometimes I slide the corner with the vent off the desk so it hangs over a bit, and I've even had to put an ice pack against the underside of my computer in an attempt to cool it down. I usually do my gaming at night to try and help with the overheating problem, but it really is annoying. I think I may need to invest in a laptop desk with a built-in fan.

DylanRowan

Reaction score
I do use one for gaming. I had to move to Mexico, but I couldn't take my PC with me because they did not let me cross with it. I ended up getting an HP Pavillon a10-8700p and Radeon R6 because it was the only one I could afford, and I thought it would be nice to test its dual graphics. It wasn't the best choice I did, but I am comfortable with its performance.

Casiox

Reaction score
This isn't true, at all. Even if it's your opinion, facts are facts. You don't need to get the best pieces. You can easily build a PC with older parts that will outperform and cost less than the PS4 or Xbox One.

Going for consoles isn't smart either when you want to save money on games, as console games are VERY expensive. On PC you've got Steam sales and overall lower prices. Bundles. Etc.

Not to mention you can actually do other things on your PC as well since it runs Windows.

I really understand that, I think I forgot to mention that I'm a PC gamer, but I really consider consoles cheaper than PC parts, I would not really trust those used or old parts as you say.

pwarbi

Reaction score
As I've said previously on other threads, I'm more of a console gamer but I do own a tablet, desktop PC and laptop also, but I would never really consider using the laptop as a gaming machine. The laptop itself is almost brand new (2 months old) so the specification meets the requirements of all of the latest games, but I just think that the desktop PC and console perform better when it comes to gaming.

For me, laptops also have a tendency to overheat as well, and I think that is maybe one of the main reasons I wouldn't consider them as a gaming device, and while the specification might be up to scratch, I'm not sure the laptop is designed for prolonged use that you often need when it comes to gaming.