• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Who uses a laptop for gaming?

AnonLu

Reaction score
This isn't true, at all. Even if it's your opinion, facts are facts. You don't need to get the best pieces. You can easily build a PC with older parts that will outperform and cost less than the PS4 or Xbox One.

Completely false. Give me a list of new parts, with an OS, and a keyboard and mouse, since a console comes with a controller. You can also factor in PS Plus/Xbox Live, as that makes sense.

NotCasual

Reaction score
Completely false. Give me a list of new parts, with an OS, and a keyboard and mouse, since a console comes with a controller. You can also factor in PS Plus/Xbox Live, as that makes sense.

AMD Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor 83.98$
ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard 44.98$
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory 36.99$
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 44.88$
MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card 127.99$
Cooler Master Elite 342 (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/400W Power Supply 50.99$
Windows serial key 20$
Rip-off gaming keyboard and mouse 20$ (Still offers more than a joystick, no need to complain)

Total: $429.81

PS4 500GB 330$

PSN one year 50$

Total: $380

Well yes, it's a tiny little bit more expensive, almost not worth noting. And for that extra 50$ (which you'll have to pay anyways for another year of PSN) you've got a PC that can do just about anything, whereas a console runs (expensive) games and plays videos.

Oh, I forgot. Steam sales.

fcuco

Reaction score
The thing is, a laptop that could provide you with a good and complete gaming experience, including having decent enough specs on the GPU department is probably be more of a desktop replacement type of machine and therefore, not a very portable and practical device to be carrying around. If technology reaches a point were they can fit something like a GTX Titan inside the body of a MacBook air and make it that portable then we are going to be talking about laptop portable gaming.

AnonLu

Reaction score
AMD Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor 83.98$
ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard 44.98$
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory 36.99$
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 44.88$
MSI GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card 127.99$
Cooler Master Elite 342 (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/400W Power Supply 50.99$
Windows serial key 20$
Rip-off gaming keyboard and mouse 20$ (Still offers more than a joystick, no need to complain)

Total: $429.81

PS4 500GB 330$

PSN one year 50$

Total: $380

Well yes, it's a tiny little bit more expensive, almost not worth noting. And for that extra 50$ (which you'll have to pay anyways for another year of PSN) you've got a PC that can do just about anything, whereas a console runs (expensive) games and plays videos.

Oh, I forgot. Steam sales.

As a PC gives you more that you can do with it, I would personally suggest people get a gaming PC, over a console, if that's what they choose. The truth is, PC gaming isn't for everyone. Hate to break it to you.

As for the build, how long will a GTX 950 be acceptable? Maybe replace it with a RX 460? Also, the power supply with the case? I guess, since it's supposed to be equal to consoles.

pwarbi

Reaction score
As a PC gives you more that you can do with it, I would personally suggest people get a gaming PC, over a console, if that's what they choose. The truth is, PC gaming isn't for everyone. Hate to break it to you.

As for the build, how long will a GTX 950 be acceptable? Maybe replace it with a RX 460? Also, the power supply with the case? I guess, since it's supposed to be equal to consoles.

PC gaming ISN'T for everyone, and no matter how much a PC gamer want's to think that they are superior, the fact is that they aren't. I don't really see the need to play top trumps with equipment, and I really couldn't care less that a person's PC uses a faster processor than a console does and cost's less.

And anyway, isn't the thread about who uses a laptop for gaming, and not why people are classed as second class citizens by some people just because they choose to own a console?

SirJoe

Reaction score
@pwarbi Lol there certainly is a lot of revelry between console players and PC players. I personally don't get it. Isn't the objective to enjoy playing the game no matter what the platform is? Personal choice is just personal choice there isn't a right or a wrong way of playing. At least that's what I believe.

rz3300

Reaction score
I do not really use the laptop all that much, and it is mostly because it is my work machine and so I just do not want to mix the two. I have always been told to keep work and play separate, and I guess I really took it heart a little more than I thought I did. It probably would not be the best machine to use for gaming anyways, though, so I will leave that to my desktop, and at least it gives that old thing a purpose. Thanks for sharing.

pwarbi

Reaction score
@pwarbi Lol there certainly is a lot of revelry between console players and PC players. I personally don't get it. Isn't the objective to enjoy playing the game no matter what the platform is? Personal choice is just personal choice there isn't a right or a wrong way of playing. At least that's what I believe.

You'd have thought so yes. That's why I myself don't really get involved with the 'my gaming system is better than yours' debates. If you are enjoying your games, be it on console, PC, tablet or even mobile handheld devices, does it really matter what others are playing on?

Getting back on topic though, if I had a choice then gaming on a laptop for me would probably come last on my list of devices to use, that isn't because my console and PC are better, I just like to play games for a log time when I play, and a laptop isn't meant to be used for 8 hours plus, solid high end gaming in my opinion.

Corzhens

Reaction score
We have a desktop at home but I have a laptop for my official computer in the office. It's just sad that our office is very strict when it comes to installing software. The USB port of my laptop is even blocked. But anyway, I am looking forward to my husband's plan to buy a laptop and I'm sure I can borrow it once in a while especially when I have trips to the province for work assignments. Maybe the first game that I would install is NBA which used to be my favorite in the olden days.

christopher murray

Reaction score
I do because it's more better to use like if your going any where but it has to be fully charge and ready.

Referal

Reaction score
I sure will laptop then other system games as it has better control and games so for sure PC games also GTA 5 has good MODS

Baconmanz

Reaction score
Personally I use a desktop, not as mobile as some would like as I would like. Personally the desktop seems to always have the best parts and easier to build if your planning on building yours like I did. I do know a few people that do use their laptop for gaming though, my science teacher (yes my teacher!) uses a gaming laptop to play Witcher 3 and Dark Souls and the occasional Civilization 5 or 6, although I have told him that laptops are for losers he digresses with me, and says desktops are for nerds. Both have many advantages and disadvantages, it just depends on what's important to you! PC MASTER RACE FTW!

Nickchick

Reaction score
The PC games I have played would probably run on the laptop (not Sims 3 though) but I guess I like to keep my laptop clean as a laptop can only hold so much. I figure if I have a desktop that is good for gaming I might as well keep using that most of the time since I am usually home. It is easier on a bigger screen. I have played a few games on my laptop as I have a Mac but I noticed the app store sucks when it comes to games. There is only one game on it that I really like so far.

fcuco

Reaction score
Personally I use a desktop, not as mobile as some would like as I would like. Personally the desktop seems to always have the best parts and easier to build if your planning on building yours like I did. I do know a few people that do use their laptop for gaming though, my science teacher (yes my teacher!) uses a gaming laptop to play Witcher 3 and Dark Souls and the occasional Civilization 5 or 6, although I have told him that laptops are for losers he digresses with me, and says desktops are for nerds. Both have many advantages and disadvantages, it just depends on what's important to you! PC MASTER RACE FTW!

Laptops are for losers? how come? that's the first time in my life that I've heard something like that and I lurk and post around a lot of very geeky forums.
Is it because you can't build your own like with desktops? Call me a loser then but I would love to own an Acer Predator 21X if I had the 9000$ to waste as disposable income just out of pure ridiculousness so I can own a laptop that has two GTX 1080 GPUs and needs two power supplies. Come on, something like that has to give you a serous nerdgasm.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I couldn't ever use a laptop for gaming, I don't think they're worth the money you pay for them. Don't get me wrong, they run great and look amazing but I wouldn't ever spend so much money on specs that are worth more than half. For example, the Acer Predator 21X, great laptop with a ridiculous price tag. What's the point in having two GTX 1080s when the laptop is only capable of running 1080p? You may as well have two 1060s, big waste of power and money.

fcuco

Reaction score
I couldn't ever use a laptop for gaming, I don't think they're worth the money you pay for them. Don't get me wrong, they run great and look amazing but I wouldn't ever spend so much money on specs that are worth more than half. For example, the Acer Predator 21X, great laptop with a ridiculous price tag. What's the point in having two GTX 1080s when the laptop is only capable of running 1080p? You may as well have two 1060s, big waste of power and money.
Just like a super sports cars (they even have limited numbers and are part of a numbered series), the Acer Predator is more of a status symbol, something that you most certainly don't need, that is worse than most practical alternatives and yet you buy it because you have the money. Owning a Ferrari makes no sense if you think about it, the fuel economy is a joke and servicing the car costs monthly what you would probably pay for a brand new cheap car. It is a luxury item. Remember that people actually went a bought the 40K dollar Apple Watch, go figure!

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
The thing is, a laptop that could provide you with a good and complete gaming experience, including having decent enough specs on the GPU department is probably be more of a desktop replacement type of machine and therefore, not a very portable and practical device to be carrying around. If technology reaches a point were they can fit something like a GTX Titan inside the body of a MacBook air and make it that portable then we are going to be talking about laptop portable gaming.

This is exactly how I feel because by the time you replace parts within the laptop (graphics card, RAM, etc.) you're left with a type of hybrid machine. Better off just going for a PC setup in general.

On another note, laptops were made for mobility. I'm not really looking for my PC gaming setup to be mobile, which also voids my interest in buying a laptop for gaming.

fcuco

Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel because by the time you replace parts within the laptop (graphics card, RAM, etc.) you're left with a type of hybrid machine. Better off just going for a PC setup in general.

On another note, laptops were made for mobility. I'm not really looking for my PC gaming setup to be mobile, which also voids my interest in buying a laptop for gaming.
Not to mention that more and more laptops don't even allow you to change anything and have components directly soldered in. "Gaming" laptops are the last bastion of upgradable laptops with some of them allowing you to add more RAM or some additional m.2 disk.

Thunderbolt 3 could be a game changer though, you can use it to connect your laptop to a monitor a get power while transmitting audio and video with a single cable, that makes for a very clean set up, not to mention the possibilities when it comes to connecting external GPUs, when you are done gaming you simply unplug everything and have the portability of a laptop.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
Just like a super sports cars (they even have limited numbers and are part of a numbered series), the Acer Predator is more of a status symbol, something that you most certainly don't need, that is worse than most practical alternatives and yet you buy it because you have the money. Owning a Ferrari makes no sense if you think about it, the fuel economy is a joke and servicing the car costs monthly what you would probably pay for a brand new cheap car. It is a luxury item. Remember that people actually went a bought the 40K dollar Apple Watch, go figure!
That is correct, however the status symbol is correct, but there is no point in having all that power for it to only run in 1080p which is nothing to do with the status symbol.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I move around a lot, and a gaming laptop was a mandatory purchase to keep playing. It's not the best computer ever, but that's not a problem since I'm a fan of retrogaming. When I'm on laptop I play older games (or in some case game with low requirements, there a lot of good indie games out there). When I'm home with my good powerful PC, it's time to play high performance games, recent AAA games... This way I always have something to play everywhere.