• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Who uses a laptop for gaming?

Saffy

Reaction score
yeah I have a really nice laptop, well I did.. it's getting out-dated now. It can handle gaming really well but I have to have a fan under it because it does get hot after a while but it works like a dream.. well used to until recently. I prefer laptop mainly because I can take it anywhere I go :)

I think I'll go with a mac next time.. or if I can afford it a straight gaming laptop.

Michael

Reaction score
I have a laggy laptop but I semi game, record, and edit.

Martin

Reaction score
I could see myself using a laptop if I had a specific gaming one. However, I only have a student based one so the CPU does the tasks that a GPU would do I believe, therefore there isn't really enough power in the laptop to play video games.

AndroidOS

Reaction score
I use a laptop. To be honest it's a bit rubbish, but it manages to run the games I want to play, and I won't get anything new until it stops doing that.

deltachi2012

Reaction score
I could see myself using a laptop if I had a specific gaming one. However, I only have a student based one so the CPU does the tasks that a GPU would do I believe, therefore there isn't really enough power in the laptop to play video games.

I have a personal computer that I use for college as well, but It is still relatively efficient to play games :) I had to get a computer with high specs for my major, so its not hard to game with!

Michael

Reaction score
With the computer I currently have, it can't even run Minecraft without lag. I plan on building my own custom PC but I'm having trouble finding $1000 for one. It's gonna be OP and I will save up and complete my Steam collection.

chiwasaki

Reaction score
Sometimes I am using my Toshiba laptop to play PC games. Though the specifications of my laptop is quite low compared to my desktop PC, I can still play good games without too much lag in my laptop. I have been using my laptop for a few years now and it is still in good condition.

Razorwind

Reaction score
Currently use a laptop, but back when I had a proper PC I used to game in that all the time, until it got fried. I totally prefer PC over laptop, mainly because you get a better gaming experience, but that being said laptops are not a bad option at all, since you can pretty much play anywhere and there are a lot of good gaming laptops in the market too.

pwarbi

Reaction score
The laptop i've got at the moment is good enough for work and the usual day to day stuff and maybe I could probably get away with playing some games on it, but the specification isn't really good enough to be able to completely enjoy a game.

I'll stick to the desktop PC, PS4 and Xbox ONE, I think i've got enough options there to keep me busy anyway!

ProNine

Reaction score
I prefer a desktop. I definetly would not mind using a laptop, however, the pc feels better. Simply having a desk with any keyboard and mouse I choose to use, along with a custom monitor and custom hardware. It's simply, an overall better choice, to me at least.

RivaCom

Reaction score
I prefer a desktop. I definetly would not mind using a laptop, however, the pc feels better. Simply having a desk with any keyboard and mouse I choose to use, along with a custom monitor and custom hardware. It's simply, an overall better choice, to me at least.
Modular Laptop gaming and external video cards are coming along nicely, so we should see them in the near future.

ProNine

Reaction score
Modular Laptop gaming and external video cards are coming along nicely, so we should see them in the near future.
I guess, but the question is covering the present so that's why my answer is the way it is.

RivaCom

Reaction score
I guess, but the question is covering the present so that's why my answer is the way it is.
Depends on your needs. You can obviously get a laptop with equal power to a desktop for a little more. So if you move around a lot, couple extra hundred for a SLI 980, 4k screen laptop is probably worth it.

Lex

Reaction score
I'm currently waiting for my middle ground solution laptop to arrive. I call it that because it's cheap, it offers good gaming performance, and it would do all of my college needs flawlessly. It has an AMD A10-4600 APU with Radeon 7660G dual graphics and 8 GB of RAM. I won't use it all the time for gaming but it will do fine with a few hours everyday.

RivaCom

Reaction score
Radeon 7660G dual graphics, What does it mean by dual? A 7660 is such a lowend video card, why would you want to overheat with 2 of them?

Ryu

Reaction score
Yeah, mostly. I've got a desktop but it's got an old CPU so I don't like to play on it - too much lag when I multitask.

Lex

Reaction score
Radeon 7660G dual graphics, What does it mean by dual? A 7660 is such a lowend video card, why would you want to overheat with 2 of them?

Dual graphics doesn't mean two of the same card. You're probably thinking of Crossfire. Dual graphics means using the same memory resources as the internal GPU of the APU, or that's how I understand it. Anyhow that laptop ended up out of stock, I'm getting one with Phenom II x4 P960 and Radeon 6650. Like I said Though I'm getting it for college so gaming is just a luxury addition to me. I have a PC for that.

Lex

Reaction score

Dual graphics doesn't mean two of the same card. You're probably thinking of Crossfire. Dual graphics means using the same memory resources as the internal GPU of the APU, or that's how I understand it. Anyhow that laptop ended up out of stock, I'm getting one with Phenom II x4 P960 and Radeon 6650. Like I said Though I'm getting it for college so gaming is just a luxury addition to me. I have a PC for that.

xpictoc

Reaction score
I was able to purchase this gaming beast for a reasonable price about a year ago as a promotion on a certain webstore. It's much better for gaming compared with my main desktop. It has a GTX 780M, a nice CPU and a power brick the size of an actual brick! The only problem I have is that the 17" screen feels a bit small sometimes, but then I just hook it up to my main screen.

RivaCom

Reaction score
Nope, What confused me is Dual is usually referred to the hybrid systems. Like you said, Usually it's Nvidia paired up with the Intel HD series. But I've never seen it labeled Dual before. I actually don't ever recall seeing a Crossfire laptop, only SLI.