• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Who uses a laptop for gaming?

luispas

Reaction score
Actually I'm playing a few games on my brother's laptop, and I also play on my friend's laptop. I found it's really normal and for me, the point is to have fun and simply play, I'm not too picky with that.

Miralema

Reaction score
I don't use a laptop for gaming much anymore (I'm rather attached to my desktop) but a few years ago I only ever gamed on a laptop. I never wanted a desktop computer because it just felt too "old-school" for me. I always wanted to have the laptop for portability and ease, and I ended up investing into a very expensive Alienware laptop. Eventually my (desktop only) husband convinced me to build a desktop computer and now I will never go back to laptop gaming! I enjoy using my desktop because it's infinitely more reliable and powerful. I do still have a laptop but I only use it for writing and keeping in touch with people when we go on vacation.

castills

Reaction score
I thankfully got a laptop for college, more suited for business, yet let me enjoy a few MMORPGs, indie. I didn't know it could handle gaming at all till I learned that games are not all GPU/CPU intensive. I started with WoW and RIFT. I've since saved for a desktop so I hope I can rez some game I've banished.
fpuzsl
Namely, I'd like to give Satelite Reign the 2-hour trial I try to give all games I install. At least I got it while it was free!

jahanzeb ali qureshi

Reaction score
I mostly use PC for playing games but whenever I am out my home or traveling then use my laptop for this purpose. Laptop won't let me get bored of travel or living in the hotel room. I love to play games and I am addicted to a few of those.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Back then in 2013, I use my trusty laptop to play games and I am glad that despite its specifications, it is able to withstand some 3D games. It only has a 2GB for its RAM but it can handle DotA 2 and Team Fortress 2 very well, given that the graphic settings are set as low as possible. After some years its internal fan stopped working because of it might have fallen once and that caused some part in the motherboard to burn and stop working. I recently had it repaired and the fan was replaced too. It would be really convenient for me if I could purchase a gaming laptop anytime soon.

huggy212

Reaction score
There are a lot of people that are a lot mobile and away from home, so they don't have a desktop PC. They still want to play PC games, so they play it on their laptop. I for myself don't play a lot of games on my laptop, because it can overheats fast and the graphic card isn't the best. Do you ever use your laptop for gaming, or do you just use the desktop PC to do that?

I am using my laptop for everything. I am working onboard a cruiseship and it is essential that i always bring just a laptop. I mainly use my laptop for gaming i bought it last 2016 and until now it can support most of the advance high spec-requirement pc games. It has a dedicated videocard 950nvidia and I never encounter any lag in it. I can also play online games with it with no problems. I believe most of new generation laptops now dont encounter heating problems because i never had high temp on my laptop. Definitely I am using my laptop for extreme gaming with no problems.

alastor1

Reaction score
I do it because I don't have any other option, I will repair my desktop computer today (I hope so) to finally play on it again. But sincerely I can't find any difference, it you have a good mouse you will feel the same in any type of computer. I'm very versatile.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Getting a good gaming laptop is very hard, and it'll cost ya! A good one lies around 900-1200 bucks and that's without modifications. So no, I use a regular PC for gaming and a laptop for... sitting on my lap :p
It costs more than an actual gaming rig for the PC, which is a total rip-off. I get mobility and all that, but to charge more for an inferior product both in efficiency and in quality is just highway robbery at this point. My brother got his laptop for about $600, when I bought my gaming rig for half that, and I can run the better games. That's just not fair for the people who actually pay for those laptops.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I don't recommend using laptop for gaming due to heating issues. It actually depends on the user's needs. If you need mobility and game in different locations, having a laptop would be preferable. For me, I currently use a desktop for gaming since I only play PC games at home. You can get better price per performance value from a desktop compared to having a laptop. Previously, my laptop failed to support my gaming usage as the board fried after overheating multiple times.

Jack_Dan

Reaction score
I once tried it, and it was uncomfortable for me. I prefer playing it on my desktop, and it's more suitable for me. In my friend circle, no one plays games on their laptops.

Laibrown

Reaction score
I use my laptop to play series of games that are probably to large to play on mobile or I will rather enjoy more on pc than mobile. And I hardly use console this days because I hardly have time to seat before TV at home to play games. So the period that I do get time is in between work. And the only available platform to play is my pc if not my mobile phone.

overcast

Reaction score
I have a laptop with 4GB RAM. And though it is supposed to make a lot of games run. But not a lot of modern games are running on it. So I choose not to make use of the laptop for gaming. I can play obviously but some games this month are released with very heavy configuration. So that's not something I'd choose for.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I have a laptop with 4GB RAM. And though it is supposed to make a lot of games run. But not a lot of modern games are running on it. So I choose not to make use of the laptop for gaming. I can play obviously but some games this month are released with very heavy configuration. So that's not something I'd choose for.
What is the GPU for the laptop ? I find 4GB is barely sufficient for my laptop to play games smoothly.

airfightermax

Reaction score
Eh, I've always gamed on a laptop just because that's what I've had as I've grown up. I'm sure I wouldn't mind a desktop, it would just take me a bit of getting used too.

This is how I played too. We see to have a desktop but it can't really play decent games since it didn't have a dedicated graphics card. Then my parents bought me a laptop with an Nvidia 930 on it so I can play some games on it even though it's a really crappy graphics card. But works with the games I have so I'm all right with playing on my laptop. Wouldn't hurt to have a desktop PC though.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I use to have a Toshiba that I used for Everquest. It had one of those AMD APU's and it did a great job playing Everquest. But It would always get super hot. And I did have a cooling fan but it never really helped. So these days I just stick to a desktop PC. They are cheaper and they almost never overheat.

P.S. The only time I have ever heard of a desktop overheating is when there was a major dust buildup.

airfightermax

Reaction score
What is the GPU for the laptop ? I find 4GB is barely sufficient for my laptop to play games smoothly.
My laptop has a 4GB RAM too but it had a 2GB on the graphics so I guess that's 6GB total? Latest games don't run well on it though since it's an i3 1.7ghz. Really slow processor.

Laibrown

Reaction score
Actually you it's not only large ram that makes a laptop good gaming pc. And another thing is even if you believe the 4G RAM is not enough you can increase the RAM capacity. But check that you have enough space on your disk. The processor also matters but most essential check for the recommendation on the game you want to run on pc. But if you think you pc is not strong enough for the new games you can as well build your pc.

valy

Reaction score
Hi, My favorite device for playing games is my PC. I don't use a laptop for playing games because my laptop gets's heating very fast, or its speed becomes lower sometimes and this irritates me very much. When I travel or I go to my job I prefer to play games on my mobile, in the rest, I am playing on my PC.

airfightermax

Reaction score
Actually you it's not only large ram that makes a laptop good gaming pc. And another thing is even if you believe the 4G RAM is not enough you can increase the RAM capacity. But check that you have enough space on your disk. The processor also matters but most essential check for the recommendation on the game you want to run on pc. But if you think you pc is not strong enough for the new games you can as well build your pc.
Yeah, building a PC is definitely better than buying a premade PC. With a custom-built PC, you get to tailor the hardware to your specifications and to your budget.

Building a PC is also cheaper than buying a premade but you'll need to have someone who knows how to assemble it!