• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Who Even Plays Their Nintendo Wii?

Alanmwp

Reaction score
It's funny this topic surfaced. I've had a wii for years but never really play it. It collects all the dust for me. I prefer online games with a wide community of players. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the services on the wii had been discontinued. It's just another reason to further my attention on more up to date consoles.

Mlady98

Reaction score
I know that the only reason I bought a Nintendo Wii was to play Smash Bros and Mario. Though, even that isn't enough for me purchase a Wii. I have my Nintendo Wii collecting dust in the closet now and still wondering why I bought it. Who here still plays their Nintendo Wii?
I feel so ancient! this post was originally made in 2014 and Wii's were still considered fairly obsolete nearly 3 years ago now. I remember waiting in line at midnight with my parents trying to get a new Wii. The only reason I wanted the Wii was to play super mario games too. Wii-fit was another game my parents tried to convince me to play but it was pretty strange even then. I remember way back when the Wii was cutting edge technology at the time, but in retrospect I'm sure future gamers to come will think playing a game with a remote was pretty dumb.

GameCube

Reaction score
You can practically play anything on a Wii that you can play on other consoles. Therefore, I don't see why it should collect dust in anyone's home.

The only reason I wanted the Wii was to play super mario games too.

I'm wondering how well Nintendo would have ever done with Mario. I don't think it would have done very well.

RedVelvetCupcake2009

Reaction score
I do the same thing, it works great as a movie streaming device in my spare room.
This info is news to me. I thought you could only use the Xbox for that. Interesting. Anyway, I stopped playing my Wii a while ago when my sister broke it. I didn't start playing it again until recently. I thought people still played on it. What else do people use now? I know the 3DS is the rage nowadays.

Ferns

Reaction score
There's one game I would still play on Wii and that's Wii Sports. I think its a really nice concept, there are a lot of sports to choose from and it supports multi-player. The best thing is probably that you get the feeling of a workout session without the process being dull.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I normally stop using a console once it's replaced by its successor, but, surprisingly, it didn't happen with my Wii. It's a great console for kids (my little cousins play with it all the time when they visit), since it's way easier for them to use motion controls rather than joysticks and buttons.
However, what brought it back to life for me was hacking. I'm a sucker for retrogaming, and there's an incredible number of emulators on the Wii. The size of the game library you can get access to is just astonishing, and it feels somewhat better to play games there than on a PC.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I like the console. I'm not into the game, im more into how it can be interactive physically. I'm im still using it

RedVelvetCupcake2009

Reaction score
I normally stop using a console once it's replaced by its successor, but, surprisingly, it didn't happen with my Wii. It's a great console for kids (my little cousins play with it all the time when they visit), since it's way easier for them to use motion controls rather than joysticks and buttons.
However, what brought it back to life for me was hacking. I'm a sucker for retrogaming, and there's an incredible number of emulators on the Wii. The size of the game library you can get access to is just astonishing, and it feels somewhat better to play games there than on a PC.
I think the consoles that more subject to successor replacement are the portable Nintendo consoles, in my experience. This is probably because the Wii is not as limited in its uses as a portable console is. It seems like you have to choose between replaceability and portability when you're picking a console to buy now. I think this will be good advice for new buyers so that they can be satisfied with their purchase.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I think the consoles that more subject to successor replacement are the portable Nintendo consoles, in my experience. This is probably because the Wii is not as limited in its uses as a portable console is. It seems like you have to choose between replaceability and portability when you're picking a console to buy now. I think this will be good advice for new buyers so that they can be satisfied with their purchase.

I agree with you for the most part: up until the DS era, there was not much use for portable devices outside of pure gaming, so it was just a matter of how powerful they were. However, starting with the 3DS the pool of possibilities has expanded quite a lot thanks to improved computational power (and the introduction of a menu, too): for instance, not only you can finally install emulators, but you can also stream to PC via Wi-Fi or enable input redirection (and thus play with external controllers). The same can be said about the PSP or the PSVita (well, that's the only thing that can keep it alive).
Home consoles still have the upper hand, yeah, but I wouldn't say that handheld consoles are still that inferior to them.

megaanmaarie

Reaction score

My little sister and I still play our Wii. She's a big fan of the emulators, so I gotta agree that's what's keeping her playing it. I just really like Animal Crossing so I'm still playing for that, though, I do love the 3DS version of Animal Crossing as well. We had some pretty fun puzzle games to play on our Wii as well, and so even though we've got a Wiii U (somewhere in the house), we still playing on the old Wii from time to time.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
My little sister and I still play our Wii. She's a big fan of the emulators, so I gotta agree that's what's keeping her playing it. I just really like Animal Crossing so I'm still playing for that, though, I do love the 3DS version of Animal Crossing as well. We had some pretty fun puzzle games to play on our Wii as well, and so even though we've got a Wiii U (somewhere in the house), we still playing on the old Wii from time to time.

Animal Crossing is one hell of an addictive game, that's for sure!
Did you know that you can get all those emulators on the Wii U too? It's a little more convoluted to set up, but using the gamepad as a portable screen is incredibly comfortable, trust me (and you can get a taste of what the Switch must feel like, heh). The Wii U even has a native DS emulator if you manage to get it working!

WildSpirit

Reaction score
I don't play as much as I played a while ago, but I still play from time to time because I think that there are still some very good aspects. It's still worth spending some time playing on it. :wink:

overcast

Reaction score
I have seen most of my friends not liking their console. In fact only some of the friends with their family wanting to play that console keeping it. So those who want to play tennis and some other games are finding it good. I am guessing that for some other games it'd be not so much worth it in that case.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
It's probably not going to be a popular opinion, but I do not enjoy motion controls at all. And since the wiimote is so geared towards that specific play style, I found it was pretty incapable as an input device in that it wasn't able to match the utility of standard controllers. It really doesn't help that the input on the motion sensor was sluggish and imprecise either.

But despite all of this I actually still boot up my wii pretty frequently. For my money, New Super Mario Bros Wii is the best entry in the "new" series. Metroid Prime 3 is very enjoyable despite its reliance on motion controls and really did use the format to its absolute best. Mario Kart Wii is a worthy successor to Double Dash that didn't get the love it deserved. And, call me a casual if you will, but WiiSports was a monster title. It's so accessible and lots of fun as a party game. It got people who never picked up a controller to give the hobby a try, and for that alone it's a worthy entry on this list.

I admit there's less on the Wii than on any other Nintendo console that I find has a lasting appeal. But the few that were good were very good and is plenty of reason to keep the ol' wiimote charged for when I'm in the mood.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I still play the Wii from time to time to get my historic dose of nostalgic satisfaction. The Wii is also a classic console for friends and family but I guess it is being quickly outpaced by other consoles by other companies. Heck, even Nintendo is creating consoles that are making the Wii obsolete *cough* the Nintendo Switch *cough*.

yaorice

Reaction score
Reading these posts are making me hopeful that the Wii won't truly die for quite some time. I definitely remember it was the one console that everyone could gather around--gamer or not--and was a fun place for the kids to gather during family dinners and BBQs while all the adults were talking. I feel like the true accomplishment of the Wii is its accessibility to people who aren't necessarily gamers, and how intuitive the controls are.

vennybunny

Reaction score
This info is news to me. I thought you could only use the Xbox for that. Interesting. Anyway, I stopped playing my Wii a while ago when my sister broke it. I didn't start playing it again until recently. I thought people still played on it. What else do people use now? I know the 3DS is the rage nowadays.

The Wii becomes much more useful with Homebrew. Since it's so small, it is still my go-to multimedia device. Plus, being always ready for Sports/SSBB parties is nice.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Reading these posts are making me hopeful that the Wii won't truly die for quite some time.

Don't worry about that... The life of the Wii it will still be a bit long. :smiley: Of course I can not guarantee this, but the popularity of the Wii is still very high. :wink:

WildSpirit

Reaction score
I still play the Wii from time to time to get my historic dose of nostalgic satisfaction.

The "nostalgia" factor is enough to keep the Wii alive for a long time. One day it will be replaced (that's obvious :sweatsmile:), just like any other, but it won't happen now. :wink:

SeanP

Reaction score
I rarely dust mine off. When I do, it's just to use it as a Gamecube machine, as I no longer have my Cube. I guess I do have some virtual console games on there too. Whenever my brother comes over, I bust it out so we can play some Mario Party 2. I know you can transfer virtual console games to Wii U, but there are a number of reasons why I'm not interested in that. Having to pay is absurd, but not being able to use Gamecube controllers is another huge reason. I don't have the money to shell out on pro/classic controllers.

Overall, the Wii was an awesome system. If anyone in this thread hasn't played Xenoblade Chronicles, be sure to do so.