• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Who Even Plays Their Nintendo Wii?

TheViper

Reaction score
I know that the only reason I bought a Nintendo Wii was to play Smash Bros and Mario. Though, even that isn't enough for me purchase a Wii. I have my Nintendo Wii collecting dust in the closet now and still wondering why I bought it. Who here still plays their Nintendo Wii?

techbeast34

Reaction score
I still do. SSBB parties with friends is pretty common, and with it also being able to have N64, NES, SNES, and GameCube games, that's pretty awesome. What's even more awesome is now that it's not being updated, Homebrew developers will have a stable platform to develop on. Right now, the Wii, when jailbroken, can be used as a media server or a web server, it can emulate a lot of older platforms, like GBA and PS1, and also, you can get tons of mods for games, like Project M for Brawl, which adds Melee-like physics, new textures and soundtracks, new maps, and also characters from Melee, into Brawl. The next step is building our own Nintendo WiFi connect system to play Brawl with those who can't or didn't move to the Wii U yet.

Lights

Reaction score
I actually use mine a lot. There are a ton of great games for it that I can play with my family, like Mario Party and Wii Sports Resort, which are both great fun!

Rhythm Heaven Fever and Pandora's Tower are also some of my favorites.

BPBWessel

Reaction score
I don't play my Wii very often but I'm a bit of a Nintendo fan. I like to have the systems just for the sake of having them. The older systems also seem more robust, I literally took a soldering iron to my N64 in the hops of playing games from a different region. That didn't work... But it still plays games from my region!

Ridge

Reaction score
I still play a little bit of Wii now and then. It is almost always something on the Virtual Console though, so I rarely play an actual Wii game.

BluBird

Reaction score
I played the HELL out of mine until I upgraded my TV to a 52" plasma. The standard def output of the Wii looked so crappy on the bigger screen that it kinda made me not want to play it anymore. I eventually just got out of the habit of turning it on. It now sits in a box from my last move. Very sad.

Dana

Reaction score
I sold mine last year at Game Stop and with the money we got from that plus all of the games we had for it, I was able to get a new 2ds. Not enough for the 3ds, but they didn't have any in stock anyways. Plus I got the new pokemon game at the time and animal crossings.

Kamarsun1

Reaction score
I know that the only reason I bought a Nintendo Wii was to play Smash Bros and Mario. Though, even that isn't enough for me purchase a Wii. I have my Nintendo Wii collecting dust in the closet now and still wondering why I bought it. Who here still plays their Nintendo Wii?
I don't play much either. Once my sons got the xbox 360 the forgot about the Wii. We got two, one for free, a co-worker gave us a fairly new one. I only us it to watch Youtube videos for the most part.

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
If I get bored of any other games I'll just jump on the Wii and play some Mario Kart, but that's about it.

Squigly

Reaction score
Smash, Mario Kart/Party and Monster Hunter 4 are all pretty good Wii exclusives! Especially with regard to the former two, I always play them at friends' parties!

LitoLawless

Reaction score
It's so funny but this is actually a really good question. I have a friend who bought the Wii when it came out and can only really remember him having about two or three games. We did have pretty intense Wii Bowling sessions though, so there's that.

Nowadays, whenever I see somebody's Wii picking up dust, my question is "Do you have Wii Sports?" If they do, then it's on like it was never on before. I honestly think I can beat anyone in Wii Bowling.

Issho

Reaction score
I play it from time to time. Mostly playing Brawl and Mario Kart with friends or siblings. Multiplayer is mostly what I use it for these days mostly. The only games I still play single player every once in awhile are Twilight Princes or Fire emblem. Other than that, I don't use it much anymore.

Ramo

Reaction score
I play my Nintendo Wii sometimes. Mostly on weekends I will play it. I much prefer playing my 360. The wii is great though when you have friends/family over and there are a lot of party type games for all to enjoy. I should play them more often by myself so I can practice and get ready for the next time the friends are over.

utneqo7d

Reaction score
I actually play my Wii pretty often when I have spare time. Since the system updates are gone forever, homebrew is settled pretty well, and there are a lot of great homebrew applications, including more than 200 (!) custom tracks made for Mario Kart Wii, and there's a custom server to replace the original Wi-Fi so we can still play online (look it up, wiimfi).

I believe the Wii was a great console, and I think I'll stick to it for a long time before getting a newer console, I just don't feel the need to buy a new console.

I know I'm probably one of the only ones who thinks of the Wii like this, but I just can't help it, it's just that I can do so much with it!

Dana

Reaction score
Actually I just played the WiiU for the first time the other day, since my friends new roommate has it set up in their room. It's pretty cool I guess, though I didn't use the new controller thing. I used a gamecube controller, so that's cool that we can still use those controllers for that system.

dizzypanda

Reaction score
I used to play the Wii all the time with my family. After awhile it got boring and I preferred playing games that they didn't enjoy, such as roleplay-based games. It wasn't long before I grew out of the Wii, though it was fun for awhile as an attempt to exercise. One day I might drag it back out, but for now it will sit in it's little dusty corner alone and cold.

Nero

Reaction score
I still play my wii. I use it to emulate old games and to play games I don't own. You could say I am a nintendo pirate.

fire421

Reaction score
I used to play it all the time, I even hacked it at one point but now I mostly use my Ps3 and will be getting a Ps4. The only good games on nintendo's consoles are mario games so they're usually not worth buying.