• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you prefer using a keyboard and mouse or a controller?

What do you prefer to use: controller or keyboard/mouse? ...joystick maybe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack

Founding Member
Reaction score
I can play keyboard with some games but then I need a controller for the rest but when it comes to racing games, I have to use a steering wheel. I'm hoping to get a Logitech G27 soon, hopefully in two weeks.

Luke Martin

Reaction score
On a computer I always use a keyboard and mouse. I have tried using a controller, and on games ported from consoles it works amazingly, but most of the games I play are made for PC so I use a keyboard and mouse.

Dana

Reaction score
With or without my laptop I think I prefer a keyboard controller for any game rather than the mouse, especially when I am on my laptop.

Dana

Reaction score
With or without my laptop I think I prefer a keyboard controller for any game rather than the mouse, especially when I am on my laptop.

Qarnage

Reaction score
I've been using a mouse and keyboard almost exclusively these past years simply because the games I play were not really controller friendly. FPS games on PC almost require you to have a mouse and keyboard simply because your aim will be more precise and your reactions will be much faster. MMO's are not really controller supported so I couldn't use one for them too. Lately however I've been picking up many platformer indie games and those seem to work very well with a controller. So yeah I have to agree with OP, it depends on the type of game that I'm going to be playing.

GamerPerson

Reaction score
This depends solely on the game I'm playing.

If it's something like Saints Row 2, then yes. I NEED a controller since that game wasn't made with the PC in mind, at the time. Trying to race in a game where you have to bad handling and can't make those slight turns at the drop of a hat; becomes rather annoying. I found that using the controller/gamepad/whatever, to be an easy task when it comes to playing the game for anything. However, the only downside to it is when you try to reconfigure the controls the way you way, you could very well effect something else and make the game harder to play. (I actually have the controller how I want it, but the accelerate is the same as my gun button, so whenever I hold it down or tap it, my character shoots as she drives...Oops.)

However, with everything else, I'm just fine. I love to use the keyboard and mouse for say, adventure games, rpgs, or puzzle games. Of course, these types of games usually take the controls in mind and know how to cater to the player and let them customize key bindings.

Atlas_Hope

Reaction score
Controller for me, mostly because I've always been a console gamer and now that I play more pc games, a mouse and keyboard just doesn't feel remotely as natural which means that I don't play as well as I would using an Xbox controller. The exception to that are games that require a keyboard and mouse like Dota 2, but in that situation you're forced to use one.

cyberpinoy

Reaction score
I like using a keyboard and mouse for my PC gaming. For me if I want to use a joystick I can use one of my consoles for that. PC gaming should always use the keyboard and mouse. With all my hotkeys I need the keyboard and mouse anyways LOL

LitoLawless

Reaction score
For me, it really depends. When I'm playing something that is mainly cross-platform (like Street Fighter) I absolutely prefer the controller (although, I've gotten pretty good with the keyboard as well.) When I'm play something like Diablo or DOTA 2 I definitely prefer the keyboard and mouse (although, I don't think there is any option for a controller). I recently started playing Marvel Heroes and although it's in a Diablo style, I would have really liked a controller option.

Rockhem

Reaction score
I use a keyboard and mouse. The reason why I use a keyboard and mouse all the time, is that I mostly play FPS games, which a keyboard and mouse is much more precise for. Racing games, might be better with a controller because a controller has analog input like a steering wheel, but I don't play them so I have no need to use a controller.

PvtParts

Reaction score
For first-person shooters, there really is no better option than mouse and keyboard. The mouse feels more free and realistic as to how the head moves when looking at surroundings. Controllers make the character move like a fucking robot. I'm a sucker for realism.

PvtParts

Reaction score
But some players do feel like using controllers makes aiming easier (and I can't personally understand how they could possibly believe that lol), so maybe if it's conducive to their gameplay, then I'll fucking give them that.
But anyways, the question really is best answered with 'It depends on the game'.

ducklord

Reaction score
Yep, as most said, it depends on the game.

Games like Assassin's Creed and sports games are better with joypad since you've got better directional control and analogue movement.

Games like FPS's and strategy games are better with mouse and keyboard, 'cause accuracy.

Flight simulators and (air/space/sea/mud/whatever) "combat sims" are better with a basebal bat and a funny hat.

What are we talking about, exactly? :p

Aree Wongwanlee

Reaction score
I use the keyboard and mouse to do everything on my computer. Actually I am a touch typist so I can find the keys without looking. That's why when I play games, I use the interface I am most familiar with, which is the mouse and the keyboard.

c9h2ua

Reaction score
I thinks it depends on what kind of game it is.
If it is a racing game, i prefer using a controller because it seems to be more fun.
However, if it is a shooting game, I would prefer using a keyboard and a mouse because it would be much more easier for me to use.

niiro17

Reaction score
I guess it depends of what games you are playing. But I prefer to play with Keyboard and Mouse if it's shooting game. But if the games are racing or fighting game, then your ideal thing is controller.

phreakeh

Reaction score
100% keyboard and mouse! I think it's just stupid having to use a controller for aiming or FPS games in general. Mouse gets you way more accuracy and improves your performance. Controllers are for arcade games , not AAA games.

Jojo83

Reaction score
Almost all of you have said it, it depends on the game. For first person shooters, mouse and keyboard would be a no-brainer. A gamepad or controller would be suitable for fighting games and adventure games. For PC games, I think the majority would choose keyboard and mouse as a gamepad is more closely associated with a game consoles.

pcgamer

Reaction score
I prefer to use keyboard and mouse whenever I can. It's a must for first person shooters. I can't imagine playing them with controllers. On the other hand, when it comes to fighting games like Street Fighter or RPGs like Dark Souls, I prefer to use a Xbox controller.

COD

Reaction score
I definitely need a controller, which is why I only play video games on my consoles, because I don't have a controller for my computer. Otherwise, I'd have a ton of games that I could play, but there is just something about using the keyboard that makes things awkward, and I don't like it.