• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you prefer using a keyboard and mouse or a controller?

What do you prefer to use: controller or keyboard/mouse? ...joystick maybe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
My vote will always be for keyboard. I'm not very comfortable with a mouse and enjoy playing games only when I press the keys of the keyboard. They give me the actual feel of playing a game.

kenoobie

Reaction score
Back then in College, I was playing x-men vs street fighter with a friend of mine using a keyboard. I would sometimes get cramps after playing an hour or so. Sometimes my character would not move when pressing too many buttons as the keyboard I was using was a cheap one. I do not dislike using keyboard when I am playing fighting games but after sometime my fingers would feel heavy and slow.

megaman93

Reaction score
Like most others say, I think it depends on the game. I know there are people out there that play games like first person shooters with a steering wheel. I'm sure it is much more difficult to play like that. But I'll always prefer mouse and keyboard for shooters.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Generally I would go for keyboard and mouse, especially if I'm playing any kind of shooter. The mouse was destined to be the perfect tool for accurate shooting in PC games and it would be a shame to use anything else. However when it comes to driving or games which could involve platformer or hack and slash elements, I prefer using a controller.

It's kind of hilarious but I used to play Grand Theft Auto V with both. I'd have a controller in my lap and would use mouse and keyboard for shooting sequences and then pick up the controller when I got into a vehicle. Weird, but effective.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
As you said, depending on the game. If it's a game like FIFA, or Need for Speed which I've adapted to using a controller with, I'll obviously choose the controller whereas if it's a game like DayZ I'll stick with the good old mouse & keyboard. I'll generally stick with the mouse and keyboard overall though.

I guess it would depend on the game, although I have played games like NFS, NBA, PES on keyboard without issues. Controller is a nice thing to have around for certain titles, although for general gaming on PC, there is no match to mouse & keyboard. Especially if you are playing shooter games.

castills

Reaction score
I've been using a mouse and keyboard almost exclusively these past years simply because the games I play were not really controller friendly. FPS games on PC almost require you to have a mouse and keyboard simply because your aim will be more precise and your reactions will be much faster. MMO's are not really controller supported so I couldn't use one for them too. Lately however I've been picking up many platformer indie games and those seem to work very well with a controller. So yeah I have to agree with OP, it depends on the type of game that I'm going to be playing.

Likewise! I have been using a keyboard and mouse for years, and find using a controller uncomfortable.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I have a basic rule:

Racing/platform/nba/wrestling/fighting games: Controller.
Strategy/first person shooters: Keyboard and mouse.

It's that simple. Playing these games with the opposite device would be a pain, and the gameplay experience would be severely compromised.

Cendrillon

Reaction score
A controller, definitely.
While the mouse+keyboard combo might allow more flexibility to the gameplay, having a controller in your hands gives the game the more meaning to me.
Pesky details like that count a lot for me, what can I say :relieved:

Bayoneutra

Reaction score
A controller, definitely.
While the mouse+keyboard combo might allow more flexibility to the gameplay, having a controller in your hands gives the game the more meaning to me.
Pesky details like that count a lot for me, what can I say :relieved:

Pretty much! I've got to stick to the controller simply because it's what I'm used to, not to mention it hurts my hands much less. To make things worse I'm rather clumsy with the mouse and the keyboard... Good for writing, super clumsy for gaming, so I tend to avoid it altogether if I can. Sometimes I resort to the joystick in order not to make a mess, but it's very occasional.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
Well I don't know, but I like the controllers the most just because it fells better, I don't like to have my hands in two places and move the character or the game with 2 things, but with the controller you have all the buttons right in front of you, I think that this way is better.

SpitfireMase

Reaction score
Different Genres lend themselves to different control schemes. Fighting games are best used with one of those arcade gamepads. Racing games are better with a controller or some type of controller with pressure sensitive buttons and a joystick. Shooters and MMOs are probably better with a Mouse and KB, because aiming is amazing with a mouse, and the keyboard allows for amazing customization in buttons for abilities. RPGs have wide enough variation to where it's difficult to tell whether a controller or KB is best. Controllers are probably best for games with fewer menus and more action, but controllers are awful at going through menus, so those are best left to mouse and keyboard.

NotCasual

Reaction score
Unlike most people, I actually prefer mouse + keyboard on all types of games. You might think that the accuracy and versatility of a mouse become irrelevant while playing NFS or FIFA and that it's all about the comfort of a joystick, but I still find the mouse to be superior. And that is after I've gotten used to playing these games with a controller... I just switched - and instantly noticed the strange appeal of playing specific genres of games with a controller actually shouldn't be there. Really, there is no advantage to playing any game with a controller rather than a mouse.

mikeypaine

Reaction score
I'm a controller person. It's what I grew up with and what I am used to, but I don't really see it as being superior. When I do play FPS on my laptop (pretty much just Team Fortress 2), I use mouse and keyboard. That's about it though.

valy

Reaction score
Hi, Sglider12, this depends on the game you choose to play. But if I can I would always choose the mouse, because is small, easy to handle and faster. Sometimes I use a controller or keyboard but not always and my favorite will remain the mouse!

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I play mouse and keyboard for almost any game I own, except for racing games, then I'll use a controller. I tried playing Call of Duty the other week on my Xbox controller and I couldn't do it:sweat:

luispas

Reaction score
I like playing with both and I think that if I'm gonna play with an Xbox or Playstation I would rather to play with a controls, if I'm gonna play something on my computer I definitely like to use my mouse and keyboard. It's hard for me to decide what's better, but I think that I feel more comfortable with my keyboard and mouse :)

Zyni

Reaction score
Since I prefer PC gaming, I'd rather use my keyboard and mouse. I feel like I have more control and more options. I use addons to add more spells to the buttons (with modifiers) on my mouse. That took a little getting used to at first, but it's all muscle memory now, and I love it.

I think it really depends on the platform you prefer as well as the types of games you like to play.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I use keyboard and mouse for most games , especially those from RPG genre. I think games like FIFA and Tekken require controllers as the combos are easier to execute using controllers.

Last edited:

m33kuh

Reaction score
I prefer both mouse/keyboard and controller. But it depends on the game I play. Some games require the use of controller while some don't.
For instance when I'm playing ETS II, that game can be played with keyboard. But it's better played with controller.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I mostly play with keyboard + mouse to save me the hassle of setting the controller properly (not all games can handle it well), unless I run into glaring complications while using them, like with Dark Souls. Of course, as plenty of people have pointed out, some game genres are unplayable with just a keyboard and a mouse, like racing games (for the love of God, don't even try that), and the same is true for the opposite. However, I don't think shooters are that non-viable with controllers. They are harder to play, sure, but people have been playing FPSs on consoles for at least the past 10 years, and I don't believe them all to be insane.