• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you prefer using a keyboard and mouse or a controller?

What do you prefer to use: controller or keyboard/mouse? ...joystick maybe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sglider12

Reaction score
What do you prefer to use when gaming, a keyboard and mouse, or a controller?

For me, it depends on what game I am playing. I typically use an Xbox controller for games such as Tony Hawks Pro Skater HD (since I grew up playing THPS on console), Skyrim, and BattleBlock Arena. All other games especially FPS games, I prefer a keyboard and mouse. You just cannot beat the accuracy and precision you get with a mouse. What do you guys prefer?

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
As you said, depending on the game. If it's a game like FIFA, or Need for Speed which I've adapted to using a controller with, I'll obviously choose the controller whereas if it's a game like DayZ I'll stick with the good old mouse & keyboard. I'll generally stick with the mouse and keyboard overall though.

insertkittyface

Reaction score
it really depends on the game for me, because for games like GTA, I absolutely need to play them with a controller otherwise I'm just not comfortable. But other games, like League of Legends, if that was even controller compatible, I would hate it and continue to use a keyboard no matter what.

Squigly

Reaction score
I enjoy using a controller for FPS games originating from consoles, such as Bioshock Infinite. When it comes to more serious shooters though, like CS:GO, a keyboard and mouse actually offers better precision. Likewise for MOBAs such as DotA (keyboard being the only viable option) and Awesomenauts (controller is much more clunky).

For fighting games the use of a fight stick is ideal. I invested 50 bucks into a custom one, and it allows much easier execution of commands. If you don't intend to use a fight stick, controller is probably the next best thing, keyboard being the most undesirable.

Chense

Reaction score
I prefer using a keyboard and mouse, maybe that's just what i'm used to now.

I agree with the user above me, FPS games with a controller is way easier than using the keyboard and mouse but i use my keyboard and mouse way more often than i use a controller.

Issae

Reaction score
Keyboard and mouse for almost everything, the only time I'd think about using a controller is for a fighting game.

I'd love to be able to use a joy stick for a good flight or space simulator, but since I'm primarily a PC gamer, I'd still want a mouse and keyboard available.

mauricioq

Reaction score
It actually depends on the game. I use the keyboard and mouse for everything but, when I'm going to play Fifa or Street Fighter I must use the controller, it's impossible, well, not impossible but really hard to play with the keyboard.

Lmar

Reaction score
Keyboard and mouse for twitch games like Counter-Strike & standard shooters, and pretty much everything else that's First-Person. Also, keyboards are sort of required for mmorpgs where a ton of abilities need to be binded to multiple keys. I prefer controllers for arcade-style fighting games like Tekken or Ninja Storm, and racing games (although, a steering wheel would be better for that).

lorcan

Reaction score
A controller is a lot easier I find when playing games on the pc, it is very hard to use a mouse and keyboard when playing games when you have to do fast movements. The only ever time I would use a keyboard and mouse is for the sims or something like that.

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
This mainly depends on the genre you are playing. If I'm playing a fighting game or a racing game, mouse & keyboard is just torture. However, if I am playing an FPS, then aiming with a controller is torture, except for when you get aim assist; then the situation gets a bit better.

RadialPerson

Reaction score
I use a keyboard and mouse for all my games once I sold my console and didn't have a controller to use. It's far better to use for most games, especially FPS but can definitely be annoying with driving games. I am planning on getting a steering wheel soon though I might get a controller for 3rd person games like Assassin's Creed and Arkham Knight since I find the controller to be slightly more comfortable during the button mashing parts of fighting.

jda

Reaction score
Definitely Keyboard and Mouse on computer games, but the only PC game I play is Minecraft XD

TheViper

Reaction score
I've always been a big keyboard and mouse kind of guy. It takes me a while to get use to a controller with certain games. With racing and games like Grand Theft Auto. The flow in which I game is way better then if I used a controller.

techbeast34

Reaction score
It really depends on the game for me. If it's an FPS or an RPG, I'll go with a controller. This setup is a lot easier for me because my computer is hooked up to my TV, and using a keyboard and mouse on a coffee table isn't really that fun. I don't usually play RTS games, but when I do, keyboard and mouse is my main option. The only time I'd use a keyboard and mouse for an FPS or RPG is if the game doesn't have native controller support, which is basically almost every game that isn't multiplatform.

burtpovski

Reaction score
I agree with the majority. It really does depend on the game that you're playing. Some games tend to be more enjoyable with a controller, whereas others feel more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse.

But personally, I tend to really enjoy playing with a keyboard and mouse on the computer. I mean, that's what a computer is all about, right? Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and your computer itself.

jda

Reaction score
I agree with the majority. It really does depend on the game that you're playing. Some games tend to be more enjoyable with a controller, whereas others feel more comfortable with a keyboard and mouse.

But personally, I tend to really enjoy playing with a keyboard and mouse on the computer. I mean, that's what a computer is all about, right? Keyboard, mouse, monitor, and your computer itself.
Agreed :D

Brandon

Admin
Administrator
Premium
Reaction score
It all depends on what game I'm playing FPS games mouse and keyboard but emulators i'd use a controller

jurew2

Reaction score
I preffer using mouse and keyboard combo for any FPS, MOBA, MMO games, because I think that I can get more control out of it - easily aim, click anywhere you want etc. But when I play a fighting game where I have to use a lot of combos, I find it easier to play with a controler, because in my opinion, it is harder to do combos on your keyboard. I also like playing racing games with the controler, because it just feels better (can't explain this in any other way I guess).
TL;DR I don't preffer one over another, keyboard and mouse combo is better for me for some games and the controler for other type of games.

NickJ

Reaction score
For gaming it MUST be a controller. I applaud people who can game hard with a keyboard and a mouse but not me. I think I'll master the use of chopsticks before I master gaming with a mouse and keyboard.

jda

Reaction score
For gaming it MUST be a controller. I applaud people who can game hard with a keyboard and a mouse but not me. I think I'll master the use of chopsticks before I master gaming with a mouse and keyboard.
What games do you play? In my opinion it really depends on the games.