• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What 'Type' of OS do you use?

Blue Betta

Reaction score
LOL it depends. I have a laptop with Windows XP for my older games, and Windows 7 on my main PC. I don't want to upgrade on my main one until I absolutely have to, because it seems they come out with a new Windows all the time and I don't want to keep spending money on the lastest OS. I know a lot of people are huge Linux fans, but I hear that you have to have decent programming skills to really use it to its best advantage, and unfortunately I don't. I see Windows as a big piece of furniture from a furniture store, and Linux as something from Ikea- one comes as-is and is nice and complete, but not really customizeable. The other can be really nice, it's cheaper, but you have to have some do-it-yourself skills or you'll end up frustrated.

Corzhens

Reaction score
We have an old PC at home which is a core duo running on Windows XP. But for the office, I am using an HP Elite laptop which is appropriate for my job because I had to move to 3 offices every once in a while. But don't ask me about the games because our office is very strict with the official computers. We cannot install any software without permission. For our home desktop, there are some games but not the interactive like NBA or Counterstrike. No modern games there.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I never used Linux before. I always had Windows PC's. On this computer I have the latest Windows 10. I was quite hesitant to upgrade from 7 (was part of their free deal) but I have to admit that I love them! The design is nicer. The functions are way better. There's a ton of handy features that the Win7 didn't have.. plus my PC seems to work faster on Win10.

My laptop still has Win XP because it's too old to upgrade it to anything else but I rarely use it.

Anybody still remembers their old PC's with the good old Win 95? haha, those were fun days. I still remember that logo.

Atropia

Reaction score
Currently running on an all Windows setup on my PC and laptop. I do have LinuxMint that can be ran via an emulator on my Laptop for the occasional use in programming.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I've been on Windows 7 for a while now. It's getting to be time to upgrade my PC though, so maybe when I finally get the energy to rebuild it, I might look into getting a updated version of Windows. It's just that I'm so used to 7, and I'm not a huge fan of 10 which I had on my laptop before it died.

cgrey

Reaction score
I use Windows 10. I loved windows 7, but was "forced" to upgrade to 10 when Quantum Break came out. I was let down by the game on top of everything, but I have now adapted to windows 10 and like some of the new bells and whistles. Navigation around the OS is pretty easy and I like the organization of the apps. I also like the customizing features.

ulfhedin

Reaction score
I use Windows 8. I didn't like how invasive Windows 10 is. Most people will use Windows anyway, Most of the games that come out are on Windows first and sometimes exclusively. I like Linux (Ubuntu) and have it on an old netbook but don't really get on it to much. The reason some people hate Windows is viruses. Windows is the first to get them for its the most common OS.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
Windows 10 for me. It's the only OS I use on desktop or laptop, also running it on my Microsoft Surface Book. Not a big fan of macOS, it's a great system for certain tasks and command line, but other than that I prefer Windows 10.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
My current operating system is Windows 10 though I do miss Windows 8 and 8.1. To be honest, I don't know anyone who uses Linux personally. Which has probably been the main reason I've never be interested in using it. The only switch I would be interested in doing is from Windows 10 to Mac OS as I've never actually tried a Macbook.

astroroid10293

Reaction score
I'm currently running Windows 10 on my PC. One thing I've come to hate about it is the frequent updates, though the design of the OS though is pretty nice and some functions are more convenient compared to older versions of Windows.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I use Windows 10, creator's edition. It's actually pretty decent, I don't think it's as bad as some people make it seem to be at all. I haven't had any problems with my games, and in fact I could say it's been more convenient for me. I feel like it's both a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, with the user friendly UI of 7 and then integrating the processing speed of 8.

Ipa07

Reaction score
I use Windows because it's easier to use and has more options. I tried Linux sometimes at my friend's house but I don't like it.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Mine is Windows because it's easier for me. Plus it's generally available to any computer anywhere. I have tried Linux because my sister into computers. For me its like doing windows in a whole new language. I guess the saying "You can't teach old dogs new trick" is right.

overcast

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 on my laptop. And Windows 10 on another machine. So this sort of machine is indeed good enough. I don't know though if I wish to use Linux for gaming. As there are not many games out there for those who wish to play them. Some games are good but overall it takes time to play such games on linux through crossover. So just using Windows 7 for now.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I use windows 7 on my main computer. My notebook is also running windows 7 but i might revert back to XP since its hardware is old and used only for surfing the web. I am curious about linux but I do not know which is a good distribution to start from.

jelleh

Reaction score
I use windows 10 pro! It's actually pretty funny how I got it. I bought it for 13$ and after, I thought I was scammed. I wasn't though! It worked fine :)

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I use Windows. Windows 10 currently. In the beginning it was great, but something happened, Microsoft developed some awful update to the Windows 10 and from that time it all went downwards. My sound is losing from time to time, I get these cracking noises. The whole PC freezes, or windows explorer to be precise. And stuff like that, it is in a pretty bad state for now. I don't know if they are trying to fix it or not, but every update seems like it is making it even worse.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I use Windows. Windows 10 currently. In the beginning it was great, but something happened, Microsoft developed some awful update to the Windows 10 and from that time it all went downwards. My sound is losing from time to time, I get these cracking noises. The whole PC freezes, or windows explorer to be precise. And stuff like that, it is in a pretty bad state for now. I don't know if they are trying to fix it or not, but every update seems like it is making it even worse.
Have you ever thought of going back to windows 7 or 8? Have you tried re-installing the OS and just turning off the update for windows?

SerSlavos

Reaction score
Have you ever thought of going back to windows 7 or 8? Have you tried re-installing the OS and just turning off the update for windows?
Yeah, I tried reinstalling a few times, and it does fix the problem for a short time. But I will do it again these days. And you are right, I should probably just get back to Windows 7, it's the best one so far in my opinion :)