• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What I hate about pc gaming

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
I think with the rise of purchasing games digitally, console players don't have to get up and change games anymore either.

It's really all about time management and knowing when to quit, rather you play on a PC or a console. Remember that you are always in control of your own actions and how much you play/looking at PC parts rather than working.

nyiguto17

Reaction score
It is just a blessing . I sometimes wonder where I might be if We never had PC game playing, but then I know twist that. I love this!

Empire

Reaction score
Hate it when I what to do something and it starts to play up or doesn't want to do what I want to do then it crashes or whatever. Like streaming live and then stuck as it starts to slow and lag and then mess up my stream. Also I'm so used to being on my fast PC that when going to another PC or whatnot and it's slow darn

SashaS

Reaction score
It is definitely another machine compared to a console. With a console you at least know that THIS is for gaming and some media - you can't work on it. But with a PC you are generally doing your spreadsheets, banking , editing and so on. So you always have that little Steam/Origin icon chilling somewhere, waiting to be clicked. Not only that but as you said, PC's, unlike consoles, are very upgradeable and customizable.

This is of course a blessing and a curse. The former referring to the fact that its great to have your own machine that you can tune to your liking and the latter being of course the cost that comes with it. Pair that with the ease of online shopping and you have yourself a paradox of an addiction.

overcast

Reaction score
I think steam changes the way PC games used to work. Though a lot of games are DRM based. Also some of them are downright expensive. And that is something I hate about the steam type of platforms. I wish we can have more control over the video games. I don't think a lot of companies pay attention to this. Some are independent and that's good option too. It takes time for things to go viral.

Linen

Reaction score
I'm pretty good at managing work/studies and play on one computer at the same time, but I'm also in a situation where I can't afford two computers and need the power that a gaming PC usually has in order to work (video editing, etc. does call for high performance). I'll sometimes play one or two sessions of a game that goes very quickly as a way to relax or decompress during work, but after that, it's back to whatever project I was working on.

Because long hours on a screen cause eyestrain I make sure to take screen breaks every once in a while; I want to make computer-based work my career so I'm already making an effort to take computer safety precautions anyway. Ounce of prevention is a pound of cure and all.

As far as "making [me] feel less healthy" computer vs. console doesn't make any difference for me. I've never had a constant stream of console games to switch out, I make a point of stretching when I take a break anyway and (in some irony) my activity level has generally went up when I went to PC more over when I stuck purely to console (because I began college shortly before I bought the PC which I use for both my studies and gaming, compared to just staying home and doing little before).

Tronikart

Reaction score
The only thing I could hate about PC gaming is not even related that much to the PC gaming genre in general but to my economic position and where I live. I hate looking at new games and know that even if I get to buy them, I wont be able to run them, it kind of sucks, but my PC is from around 2011 so yeah, its kind of my fault but I havent got the time or money to upgrade, even with my PC being this old, Im still able to play some newer games, like Overwatch, Shadow of Mordor, Battlerite and some other great games

fl1pz

Reaction score
I have no idea how that can make you hate PC gaming, but I adore gaming on my laptop. Even if my laptop is not the best for gaming, I try to do my best with it. I only play 1 game which is League Of Legends, so I do not need a monster laptop to run it smoothly. I do not know about you guys, but I am satisfied with my laptop right now.

EJ Burg

Reaction score
I mainly do PC gaming and the thing that usually used to put me of about pc gaming was the upgrading of my system. It got really expensive sometime and probably back then I would have rather used a console. These days on the other hand with PCs and parts with performance potentials you wouldn't so easily reach as you would have on older PCs. So these days much like a console, you just make sure you have a well performing PC and you're set for years.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
I've never upgraded my PC setup, I'm contented as long as I can play the games on my PC, even though it requires me to switch the resolutions to low, and remove effects, so I have no issue with it. The only problem I have though is lack of space. It's the only upgrade I made on PC.

Sino989

Reaction score
I can understand where you are coming from. Just some things aren't for some people and it seems PC gaming is for you, nothing wrong with that.

Deen

Reaction score
As someone who has had a bit of experience with computers, it pains me to admit that they've got the better of me more than a few times. The feeling of solving a software problem that you've been having for a few hours or even days is one of immense satisfaction and relief, but every once in a while even the best computer boffins get flummoxed. I'm not the greatest, so as you can guess I've been beaten a fair few times by my own confounded box of wires and circuit boards.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Well, every PC gamer always ends up looking for new hardware, even though he does not need it. I have had that bad habit, but I gave up in the end. I build the PC that can run most current gen games, and as long as it will be able to run future titles, I have no issues even by playing some titles on lower settings. I have seen a lot of games that have almost no difference between high/medium/low quality, so it's a bit pointless to constantly upgrade. What is even better, you could tweak your games too look great without noticing the difference in quality, but you could run them at better FPS.

hermessantos

Reaction score
I definitely love PC games. However, the only thing I dislike is the need to maintain a good hardware and operating system configuration.
Installing device drivers and incompatibilities is also something that irritates me, especially when I think video game consoles do not need it.
But anyway, I'm still a big fan of PC games.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I definitely love PC games. However, the only thing I dislike is the need to maintain a good hardware and operating system configuration.
Installing device drivers and incompatibilities is also something that irritates me, especially when I think video game consoles do not need it.
But anyway, I'm still a big fan of PC games.

Game consoles do not need it as they are only capable of running games at set rates. Games for consoles must be set inside those limits. PC on the other hand can handle more than just the regular quality provided within a game. You can enhance it. And constant updates are a great thing as they provide you with more frames for newer games.

WarVet

Reaction score
Actually, the freedom of customizing your gear, choosing what aspects you'd like to improve and making it perfect for you is what I enjoy the most about PC. Also, PC gamers aren't "bound" to consoles. You don't have to buy the latest piece of equipment to play that new game that just came out, unless of course, you have to upgrade or hardware but it's usually cheaper than buying a new console altogether.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
PC gaming has its ups and downs just like any other device that you can use for gaming. And yes, modifying your PC can get very addicting too, just like how some people like to modify their motorcycles for aesthetics. I guess it's good that I'm a very cheap guy, so that when I build a PC and feel like it's running smoothly and I could play my favorite games in 60fps, I just stop there because I don't want to throw away more of my money improving something that is already really good.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, it's true. When you have a PC you won't rest until it's the best you can have for newer games. 60 FPS, smooth controls, short loading times, wide screen support; that's why you have to do it little by little. Memory this month, save for a monitor in 6 months. That sort of thing. You can never be truly satisfied. Trust me, there will always come a time that you want your PC to be better.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
No offence to you at all. But it sounds like you have bad time management and consumer problems, rather than issues with PC gaming. You can't control your pockets and time. You've given power to a machine that has nothing to do with controlling your life and blaming the cause on the PC gaming machine, rather than your own personal characteristics.

First, I've never had the issue of buying unnecessary things for my gaming setup. Unlike yourself, I don't always find a need to upgrade or purchase items without reason. Once my gaming setup is ideal and works, I generally don't like to change it. Also unlike yourself, I recognize my PC emcopasses work, along with leisure play. Because of this, I'm very specific and on point with separating my personal time from work projects.

Regarding what others say about always having to purchase something for your PC, that's the point of PC gaming. Building your machine from the ground up (graphics card included) is what PC gaming is about. It's a rewarding feeling that console users don't understand.

These are just my opinions, nothing factual.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
It's somewhat true what you said and it makes sense. But I also find consoles a bit better because you don't have to improve them just to be able to play new games. Which is different when it comes to PC. Anyway I would choose PC over consoles always. And the "addiction" is not such a big problem to me anymore, I play one hour or two a day, and that's all.