• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What I hate about pc gaming

Kallerdaller

Reaction score
This isn't a hate thread in anyway. More of a 'what people need to know before switching to pc'. So last year I made the transaction from ps3 to pc. I'm my opinion the best decision I could of made. So I built my own pc etc etc. I love pc gaming. However, in my opinion it is addictive. Not the gamino but for some reason, me and all the people I know on pc are always looking to make their setup better. I am always looking at bench marks, deals etc. I also look at leds and desk things. I am constantly upgrading when I don't need to. On top of that, I feel it makes you less healthy. Now I know consoles are beginning to have more digital games but what consolers gamer doesn't have a stack of games. Well on console you have to at least get up and go to the games to chage them. Whereas on pc you just click a few times and on pc you find yourself sitting for longer periods without moving. Now there are people who take breaks every two hours amd move about but if your playing an immersive game you won't want to do that. Anyway that's all.

Juno

Reaction score
What I find hard is being strict with 'This is work time' and not sneaking in a quick 5 minutes *cough* 4 hour *cough* breaks, it really affected my productivity.

To get round this I now get a lot of work done on a tablet that doesn't have a chance in hell of playing the games I like and my main PC gets fired up when it is entertainment time.

It is incredible now how lines are blurred with what devices you use to do what, I bet if I had to I could use my mobile fun for work, rest and play

Belovedad

Reaction score
I will always prefer pc gaming since I can have a wide variety of choices available in a second. It is a bother though to be constantly upgrading or installing software just to keep up.

Steamroller

Reaction score
Everyone but me are always looking to make their setup better. I'm happy enough to run my games at 30-60 fps at 1080p, and for that you don't need a nuclear reactor or a bit coin mining colossus. For me the most important thing is perfomance, I would rather buy a better Solid State Disk for almost instant loading screens than moar Graphic card power in order to be able to run a game with Max settings. As long as my setup meets the hardware criteria to suits my need, I will not replace it after
that a console gen period already passed..

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
Me, I just prefer playing with a controller in my hands in general and having a screen at the other end of the room. I just grab the controller, get up and pace back and forth in the room as I try to solve a riddle or something. It generally gives me more of a freedom to move than gaming on a lap top or a desktop, where I habbitually hunch over the keyboard.

AnonLu

Reaction score
On the contrary, with PC gaming, you can switch from play, to work very easily and with the same system. It's just up to you. I don't think this is as much of a problem with PC gaming, as it is with just normal moderation.

Casiox

Reaction score
Well, I could actually consider PC gaming way more versatile than console gaming when it comes to limits and freedom regarding set ups, for example, there are many people that have done the same thing you just mentioned, they probably got bored of playing the same games over and over again and they finally realized that PC gaming was somehow someway better than console gaming itself, I really believe most of them do so because we all know there are many trendy games out there that you can actually take a full advantage from if you play them on PC, also the gameplay, graphics, and the online features are way better than console's, that's probably the reason why you moved from PS3 to PC, don't get me wrong but you shall have done it even before you thought about buying a PS3, you definitely took a good decision and that's fine, PC gaming is always going to be better than consoles indeed, it mostly depend on the kind of gamer that you consider yourself, that's my opinion though.

rz3300

Reaction score
I am exactly like @SunnysideUP in what I want when it comes to my gaming. The thing about the PC that turns me off is the general set up, where I am sitting more upright in a desk chair at the keyboard. It is my work stance, or my school stance, and for some reason I just cannot have it be my gaming stance. I need the controller in the hands, relaxing and lounging back with the TV a good distance away. I am not sure that this will ever change either.

Casiox

Reaction score
I am exactly like @SunnysideUP in what I want when it comes to my gaming. The thing about the PC that turns me off is the general set up, where I am sitting more upright in a desk chair at the keyboard. It is my work stance, or my school stance, and for some reason I just cannot have it be my gaming stance. I need the controller in the hands, relaxing and lounging back with the TV a good distance away. I am not sure that this will ever change either.

Well, you actually have a point there, but the fact you do not like sitting on a chair with your hands on a keyboard does not mean that PCs are worse than Consoles, there are many controllers you can use for many PC games, you can also use console controllers to play PC games and stuff, that's not really an excuse when it comes to deciding which one is better.

fcuco

Reaction score
On the contrary, with PC gaming, you can switch from play, to work very easily and with the same system. It's just up to you. I don't think this is as much of a problem with PC gaming, as it is with just normal moderation.
Nah, this is a problem, people tell you that you should only use your bed for sleeping for a reason: the brain gets all confused when you work in bed, for example, it learns to associate the environment and setting with working thus it gets more active and you end up with trouble sleeping. It is difficult to get things done when you are using the same computer that you use for gaming for doing work, not impossible by any means of course, but your brain wanders around a little more. Imagine going to a them park to do homework :p

AnonLu

Reaction score
Nah, this is a problem, people tell you that you should only use your bed for sleeping for a reason: the brain gets all confused when you work in bed, for example, it learns to associate the environment and setting with working thus it gets more active and you end up with trouble sleeping. It is difficult to get things done when you are using the same computer that you use for gaming for doing work, not impossible by any means of course, but your brain wanders around a little more. Imagine going to a them park to do homework :p

Oh, believe me, I completely understand what you're saying, to an extent. I view my PC as my work machine, and my gaming machine (work from home). It's certainly easier to procrastinate when it's only a few clicks away from work, and I'm playing games, but I still don't quite understand why this is an issue. Is it a problem with sitting at a desk? Hook up your PC to a TV, and enjoy in Steam Big Picture mode, or whatever else. Hook up a controller wirelessly. Sit back on your couch and enjoy. Who says a PC has to be for work only?

Casiox

Reaction score
Oh, believe me, I completely understand what you're saying, to an extent. I view my PC as my work machine, and my gaming machine (work from home). It's certainly easier to procrastinate when it's only a few clicks away from work, and I'm playing games, but I still don't quite understand why this is an issue. Is it a problem with sitting at a desk? Hook up your PC to a TV, and enjoy in Steam Big Picture mode, or whatever else. Hook up a controller wirelessly. Sit back on your couch and enjoy. Who says a PC has to be for work only?

I totally agree with you AnonLu, you're absolutely right, I do not really see what's wrong with sitting in front of a screen when you clearly can do whatever you want with it, from buying a wireless controller to doing many other things, PCs are basically way better than consoles nowadays, consoles are really limited and we all know that, if you're really looking for something to have fun, work, and make money with then go for a PC, that's all.

fcuco

Reaction score

You have to be a person with a very strong sense of responsibility :) I can't do any work on the same computer where I play. I actually work from home too and I solved this issue by simply having 2 computers, one is the very powerful gaming rig, the other one is a small computer that I simply use for work, I went as far as to block social media pages from my work computer, it is used for work exclusively.

AnonLu

Reaction score
You have to be a person with a very strong sense of responsibility :) I can't do any work on the same computer where I play. I actually work from home too and I solved this issue by simply having 2 computers, one is the very powerful gaming rig, the other one is a small computer that I simply use for work, I went as far as to block social media pages from my work computer, it is used for work exclusively.

Yeah, that's good ^.^ I have my gaming PC, but when I'm tempted to drift away from work, I switch over to my crappy laptop, incapable of even playing the lowest of demanding games.

Northman

Reaction score
I play mainly on my PC but i do enjoy playing consoles as well. Unfortunately with the consoles im currently stuck in the middle ages with an xbox360 and would prefer to move up to at the very least a PS3 but the financial means are not there. But i do agree with people who say there is quite a bit of variety when it comes to PC gaming and the games you can play.

fcuco

Reaction score
I play mainly on my PC but i do enjoy playing consoles as well. Unfortunately with the consoles im currently stuck in the middle ages with an xbox360
I am stuck with a 360 also, but because I was never compelled to buy an Xbox ONE, none of the new games interested me that much, even Halo 5 was kind of a meh to me since I stopped enjoying the series with Halo 4 or by the time that Bungie was no longer involved, so the magic was gone. I don't know, I don't consider my 360 middle ages, it works for me like a charm and I still enjoy playing some Forza 2 there.

Dowls

Reaction score
What I find the hardest is saying no, be productive today instead. Every time I log in to my PC steam will auto load, I can turn this off but really I don't want to. I have multiple projects that I am working on however I always procrastinate by playing games or even do bad purely because I have got a stream open on my second monitor.

Upgrading and bench-marking was addictive at the start, my friends were all competing to see who had the biggest E-peen however after a year or two this has gone away, as long as the FPS is above 60 while looking graphically good then we're fine.

Joel7050

Reaction score
I actually get distracted pretty easily. I have a little laptop with no SSD and a decent HDD, where I do all my word and powerpoint stuff on. It has an integrated GPU so it can't really run anything, and I don't install games on it. I use the laptop solely for work. Then I have my desktop PC which I only power on when I truly have time to play for a few hours, such as on a weekend. I've controlled myself to fully shut down the PC each time I finish an "allowed" game session such that I don't just hit the keyboard, get it off sleep, and end up playing for a a few minutes which becomes hours.

SirJoe

Reaction score
I think the worst thing about pc gaming is the pc itself. If you buy a console, you don't have to do anything else. It pretty much does what is written on the packet, but when you build your pc, there is always a new graphic card that comes out or something else that you have to have. A pc is never is really finished.

moosesbroose

Reaction score
It is a blessing and a curse. Something so sweet and tantalizing that you can't help but become addicted. I sometimes wonder where I would be if I never got into PC gaming, but then I realize screw that. I love this!