• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What I hate about pc gaming

TheViper

Reaction score
Honestly, if you are able to fully switch from console to PC. The only real difference after all the hard work of getting the items and throwing that PC together. Is the fact whether you should use a controller or not while gaming. I know some are more comfy with a controller but I don't quite understand that at all. When I play GTA I find myself driving significantly better with a keyboard and mouse. Then after I spend ten hours of playing I can switch to doing my math homework that is due the next day.

pwarbi

Reaction score
To be honest I've always been more of a console gamer than PC, but a few people I know have made the switch over, and I can certainly relate to what the OP says. It seems that on almost a weekly basis they are upgrading something, and even though it might not even need upgrading, it's like they HAVE to have the latest upgrade that gets released, so I guess it is a bit of an addiction in a way.

Like I said though, I just prefer to stick to my consoles, and tackle that addiction instead!

AWPEK

Reaction score
Having a PC that has the necessary components so that you may play games such as Battlefield, Call of Duty, CSGO, and more is truly a blessing. However, the downside to it is the immense heat that PC can produce depending on if you aren't using a good quality fan. The temperature usually gets much worse during the summer, so I would recommend that you buy a fan either for your PC or room. Another thing that I hate about PC is the constant updates you have to do and maintenance in the inside. This takes away my time of gaming especially since I am a hardcore one. Most of all the one thing I hate about PC gaming would have to be the loud the noise that it can generate. Don't think that because you bought one that doesn't emit loud noise doesn't mean that it will not happen. Sooner or later when your PC starts filling with a little bit of dust you will hear the bothering loud noise it makes. It really can sound terrifying at times almost as if it were to explode.

Rhomhie Morelh Campo

Reaction score
You just build your very first pc, you saved thousands of bucks, and ready to maxed the game settings. But these small problem in gaming could be annoying.Like for an example there are screen tearing, which is bothers me the most,you can turn on v sync but it can kill fps.Another example is crashes,It can cause by drivers issue,or you not building you PC right.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I own a PS4, Xbox One and my current PC build that I made last year for around £1200. I used to enjoy console gaming mostly because everybody I knew had a console and we would have large parties with lots of us playing in the same lobby. But that was really the only thing I liked about it. I've been obsessed with computers since I was younger and I work around them (and phones) whilst studying it in university, so that's a big reason I prefer to game on my PC. I prefer my PC massively purely because of graphics, performance and the ability to do what you want.

gkillian

Reaction score
I feel like PC is far and away the best platform for anybody who's very serious about the hobby. I don't begrudge console folks for wanting the plug-and-play functionality and fully admit that, even though it's not as bad as it once was, PC gaming means dealing with performance issues and all that headache.

That said I'm always perplexed by folks that get hard into the upgrade cycle while simultaneously touting the benefits of not having to buy a console every few years. Since building mine in 2012, I've only had to upgrade the video card to keep running games at 1080/60 (though I'll soon need more RAM and my processor is starting to show its age). I don't know that that's especially economical - I've always been far more interested in the software so I don't follow hardware too much - but just throwing more money after minor gains has always seemed silly to me. (And ridiculous LED setups, while amusing, also seem frivolous compared to putting that into some more indie games).

Nickchick

Reaction score
I do not have much problem with PC gaming. I suppose you could argue that it helps I do not have a regular job but when I feel it is time to make money I am making money and I make it less monotonous by listening to music. If I am not preoccupied with something I take some down time to play a game on the PC.
The only problem I can think of with PC gaming is it is difficult to sell the games when you do not want them anymore. I can now sell my console games to a small game store because there is two located in my city now. They do not take PC games. I have tried selling my PC at a yard sale to no avail. Of course there is always Amazon but I have often looked at things I thought about selling and it seems like the other people's listing just sits there. I do not like the idea of the competition either. If I have the option I would rather sell it to someone else for a bit less and let them worry about getting a better offer.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I feel like PC is far and away the best platform for anybody who's very serious about the hobby. I don't begrudge console folks for wanting the plug-and-play functionality and fully admit that, even though it's not as bad as it once was, PC gaming means dealing with performance issues and all that headache.

That said I'm always perplexed by folks that get hard into the upgrade cycle while simultaneously touting the benefits of not having to buy a console every few years. Since building mine in 2012, I've only had to upgrade the video card to keep running games at 1080/60 (though I'll soon need more RAM and my processor is starting to show its age). I don't know that that's especially economical - I've always been far more interested in the software so I don't follow hardware too much - but just throwing more money after minor gains has always seemed silly to me. (And ridiculous LED setups, while amusing, also seem frivolous compared to putting that into some more indie games).

I'm in a similar boat as you. I built my current rig in 2011, and it's still functioning up to par with my friend's newer computers. The only thing I've upgraded was my graphics card (from a 550ti to a GTX 760) which was a hand-me-down from a friend, and my hard drive. I was more a console gamer until I build my first PC, and ever since then I've been an avid PC gamer instead. I feel like there are fewer limits to the games I play, and the modding communities for various games are extensive and add to the various gameplay so much.

My problem with consoles is that when I buy the newest console, I don't want to have to worry whether or not it'll backtrack and play games from the previous version. My PC games will always be relevant, no matter how many times I upgrade it, which is a huge factor in my decision.

gkillian

Reaction score
Seeing NickChick and TheArticulate's replies back to back makes me wonder - how often does a strong preference towards PC or console coincide with 'game retention'? I know that I've never sold a video game in my life, and just the idea of it is frankly giving me the vapors. I go back to old favorites with regularity, and in the case of console games that does mean keeping a bunch of boxes around (or emulators). PC's weakness is, indeed, that while you get the games cheap (through a Steam sale months or years later), you can't get in on the GameStop racket of 'buy new game, beat game, recoup costs by selling it back'.

I know my position's practically game hoarding, which is one extreme, but it'd be interesting to see the dispositions of console folks.

Zyni

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as you. I built my current rig in 2011, and it's still functioning up to par with my friend's newer computers. The only thing I've upgraded was my graphics card (from a 550ti to a GTX 760) which was a hand-me-down from a friend, and my hard drive. I was more a console gamer until I build my first PC, and ever since then I've been an avid PC gamer instead. I feel like there are fewer limits to the games I play, and the modding communities for various games are extensive and add to the various gameplay so much.

My problem with consoles is that when I buy the newest console, I don't want to have to worry whether or not it'll backtrack and play games from the previous version. My PC games will always be relevant, no matter how many times I upgrade it, which is a huge factor in my decision.

I agree with @gkillian and I agree with this. I find PC gaming less restrictive in a number of ways. I also like the feel of keyboard and mouse instead of a controller.

I love addons, so I'm with you on that, although I try not to overdo it. There is an addon for everything these days.. Some of these modders are so good that devs sometimes eventually adopt their ideas, making them part of the game. I saw that happen many times in WoW.

As noted, you don't "have" to upgrade often, and even then, you may just need a couple things instead of a whole new system. Yes, you don't have to worry about the backwards compatible thing either. That's a big plus for me too.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
Seeing NickChick and TheArticulate's replies back to back makes me wonder - how often does a strong preference towards PC or console coincide with 'game retention'? I know that I've never sold a video game in my life, and just the idea of it is frankly giving me the vapors. I go back to old favorites with regularity, and in the case of console games that does mean keeping a bunch of boxes around (or emulators). PC's weakness is, indeed, that while you get the games cheap (through a Steam sale months or years later), you can't get in on the GameStop racket of 'buy new game, beat game, recoup costs by selling it back'.

I know my position's practically game hoarding, which is one extreme, but it'd be interesting to see the dispositions of console folks.

You probably already know this or have a similar understanding to me, but for me, game retention on the PC really helped once I started using Steam. Years ago when I signed up for it, I was hesitant about purchasing games through them as I wouldn't have a physical copy, which is what I was always used to. But having all my games available for digital download in my Steam library instead makes it incredibly easy to keep and return to games I used to play. I guess another huge factor for me is that I don't blast through my games fast enough to warrant buying a new game, beating it, and then selling it back. I take my sweet time going through my games, haha

I've found myself playing more casual games that I used to play in middle school/early high school, like the original Rollercoaster Tycoon as well as the Crusader series.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I agree with @gkillian and I agree with this. I find PC gaming less restrictive in a number of ways. I also like the feel of keyboard and mouse instead of a controller.

I love addons, so I'm with you on that, although I try not to overdo it. There is an addon for everything these days.. Some of these modders are so good that devs sometimes eventually adopt their ideas, making them part of the game. I saw that happen many times in WoW.

As noted, you don't "have" to upgrade often, and even then, you may just need a couple things instead of a whole new system. Yes, you don't have to worry about the backwards compatible thing either. That's a big plus for me too.
Exactly the same reasons I prefer it. I'd rather fork out on a brand new PC, build it myself, and upgrade parts when I need and want to. Mouse and keyboard just feels more natural for me, I only use my controller for racing games and Rocket League.

gkillian

Reaction score
You probably already know this or have a similar understanding to me, but for me, game retention on the PC really helped once I started using Steam. Years ago when I signed up for it, I was hesitant about purchasing games through them as I wouldn't have a physical copy, which is what I was always used to. But having all my games available for digital download in my Steam library instead makes it incredibly easy to keep and return to games I used to play. I guess another huge factor for me is that I don't blast through my games fast enough to warrant buying a new game, beating it, and then selling it back. I take my sweet time going through my games, haha

I've found myself playing more casual games that I used to play in middle school/early high school, like the original Rollercoaster Tycoon as well as the Crusader series.

I'm in a similar boat - I still have a little anxiety about what happens if Valve goes out of business, but for the most part the price is right and you can't beat the convenience of having all those games at your fingertips. (Outside of big downloads and constant patches, grumble grumble).

Also, imo controller vs. mouse and keyboard comes down to which is the better tool for the job. Keyboards allow for a lot more input options for your RTSes and your simulators, or anything along those veins. I also cannot imagine going back to aiming with analog sticks in any sort of shooter (I tried in the Splatoon 2 beta for Nintendo Switch and it was, uh, not a good showing on my part). Controllers just feel more natural for platformers and slower games like adventure games and RPGs. Just feels more natural to me.

ulfhedin

Reaction score
I have an Alpha console for PC gaming. It uses an HDMI to hook up to any monitor I want. I use an Xbox 360 controller and a steam controller. I also found out that the new Xbox controller does not require a dongle and is easier to hook up. I can play most of my games, as if it where on any console. There are some games that do require a mouse and keyboard but this is why I have a Steam controller. I can also use my Alpha as a normal PC if I want to. I can stream movies, music, etc.. through my Alpha as well. I also think you could build your own PC to do the same and probably better than what I have. I got the Alpha because I was just to lazy to build my own, but it works for what I need it for.

AntwanCeja

Reaction score
It is not that I hate something about PC gaming, but I only disagree with the small period of time for developers to come up with a newer version of the hardware they just created. I really feel bad to having a grat piece of hardware and then realizing that what I just got a few months ago is already outdated or a newer, better and cheaper version is out in the market. That really pisses me off sometimes. But never enough to make me stop loving the PC gaming experience.

Corzhens

Reaction score
I have tried a racing game in PC and I find it good although I did not play for long. A colleague says that using a game controller will give you more thrill especially if you have the headset for the audio. We actually didn't have the speakers because we tried the game in the office lab where we check the computers that were submitted for repair. And since the boss was not around so we were testing some games too.

Zyni

Reaction score
Exactly the same reasons I prefer it. I'd rather fork out on a brand new PC, build it myself, and upgrade parts when I need and want to. Mouse and keyboard just feels more natural for me, I only use my controller for racing games and Rocket League.

Yep, and I also get a lot of other use out of my computer as well. I do some freelance work online, so a computer is a must. I can kill two birds with one stone.

I think part of it is habit too. I'm just more comfortable with the PC experience. Although, I wouldn't mind hooking up to my new big screen to use it as a monitor, ha ha.

Yeah, a racing game would be hard to play without a controller (for me anyway). I can always play on my kid's console for that.

Lilith

Reaction score
I agree about the time suck. Especially with casual games, I have that problem on my phone too. I don't remember a time before PC gaming, it's always been my favorite platform. I try to limit myself to not playing games on my laptop, but the casual ones always sneak in eventually. Then I feel bad that not only am I not doing any work, but I am just playing some silly little game instead of a good one that requires my desktop.

Harrysung

Reaction score
I still prefer PC gaming, probably because of its portability.

ernst39

Reaction score
Personally I don't have this issue. A lot of people claim gaming becomes addictive and you can't stop, but in my case I know how to control it. Yes, there might be days I'm gaming for 12 hours with only a couple food and bathroom brakes in between. Those are the days I have nothing to do or it's a rainy day etc. Gaming is a very fun way to pass time. I'd rather be playing video games for 12 hours in a day rather than sit in front of a TV and watch shows all day. Normally, I'm only on video games 2-3 days a week if that but I use the time I have to my advantage.