• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you like to play strategy games?

Lexi

Reaction score
I enjoy them every once in a while, but not too often. It's fun to engage the mind sometimes. But after a while they can be a little tiring. However, they can be really fun and it keeps you busy, constantly thinking and all. It's just not my main genre I guess.

airfightermax

Reaction score
Don't know if the Disgaea series count as strategy games but I have played a lot of those. Really fun if you know what you are doing. Training skills to your apprentices were really great as I can make characters with unique set skills. Doing wombo-combo stunts alongside ally characters, and the level system could get your character up to 9999. All just pure good fun and that might be the first strategy game I played seriously.

Deathisue

Reaction score
If the truth I enjoy, are good games after all and are very comfortable in the platform of pc, do not devour as long as some games, but are not casual, sometimes competitive sometimes not, but at the end of the day very entertaining, The first i play was AOE II and from there is a long story.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
They are not my favorite genre, but I like some of them. Played a lot of Age of Empires and Empire Earth when I was younger, and also Age of Mythology... as a fan of the theme, that was probably my favorite.
Anothre game series I really like is the Total War series, for the massive amount of soldiers they have in their battles... I suck at playing them, but they look so awesome!

fireball916

Reaction score
Strategy games are lots of fun. I wouldn't say it's my favorite genre but it's one of the top ones I enjoy the most. They can tire your brain out if you play them for long periods of times. So I always make sure to take 5-10 minutes breaks if I'm playing for a long time.

Lukehh

Reaction score
I have over 1000 hours in Civilization 4 alone, I LOVE strategy games obviously Civ, but Mount and Blades singple player, All the "Ages of" games and some RTS'es like Starcraft, and Supreme Commander

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I have over 1000 hours in Civilization 4 alone, I LOVE strategy games obviously Civ, but Mount and Blades singple player, All the "Ages of" games and some RTS'es like Starcraft, and Supreme Commander
Same for me, I've played a lot of Civ 3 as a kid and got Civ 5 last year and easily clocked 300 hours on it before I felt it became repetitive. I was excited for Civ 6 but it was a pure disappointment for me since the aspects that made the Civ games good, like a sense of realism and combat with your units, got replaced with a more mobile game-esque graphics and Street Fighter-esque fighting animation, which sucks since I really want to control armies, not mobile game units.

Lukehh

Reaction score
Same for me, I've played a lot of Civ 3 as a kid and got Civ 5 last year and easily clocked 300 hours on it before I felt it became repetitive. I was excited for Civ 6 but it was a pure disappointment for me since the aspects that made the Civ games good, like a sense of realism and combat with your units, got replaced with a more mobile game-esque graphics and Street Fighter-esque fighting animation, which sucks since I really want to control armies, not mobile game units.
Yeah, the graphics were a real let down in Civ 6 for me aswell, I loved the gameplay, but the graphics as you said, felt really mobile to me.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, the graphics were a real let down in Civ 6 for me aswell, I loved the gameplay, but the graphics as you said, felt really mobile to me.
Can't believe I actually pre-ordered that game. I played it for an hour and had to ask for a refund because I'll regret paying $50 for a game that I really didn't like. It's a shame too since I really loved the earlier games and I really don't want to give up on a proven franchise, but I'll just stick with the older ones like Civ 5 and all its expansions.

WarVet

Reaction score
I can also agree with that. In my opinion, it's best not to wear out one game. Like you said, sometimes it's good to leave old games alone for a while. Only to come back when newer updates have been implemented and possibly new players have joined. It gives you a sense of refreshment, along with the memories of an oldie but goodie without losing that spark.

I think like that when it comes to playing games that have side quests. I'd rather do all side quests first and progress with the main ones at a slower pace. It adds to the immersion and makes me feel like i "enjoy" all the content the game has to offer a whole lot more!

Lukehh

Reaction score
Can't believe I actually pre-ordered that game. I played it for an hour and had to ask for a refund because I'll regret paying $50 for a game that I really didn't like. It's a shame too since I really loved the earlier games and I really don't want to give up on a proven franchise, but I'll just stick with the older ones like Civ 5 and all its expansions.
Yeah, I still go back to Civ 4 and play with some buddies once in a while, they really don't make Civ's like they used to...

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, I still go back to Civ 4 and play with some buddies once in a while, they really don't make Civ's like they used to...
Yeah, they thought making it better on graphics would be enough to justify $50 of a new game. Not to mention a deluxe edition and whatever promo or package they can come up with. The thing was, Civ games weren't really known for amazing 60 FPS graphics. They were known for the gameplay and addictive features. Removing a ton of them for the sake of graphics and a more "realistic" city structure, but then making your units look like cartoon characters is not the way to do it.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
As a rule I do not enjoy strategy games very much. I find it difficult to get into a flow with them because often the consequences of a decision cannot be seen until many moves past the one which sent you down the road to ruin. That makes it hard for me to be able to assess what I did wrong so I can try to do better next time, which is frustrating. There are notable exceptions though. I was a big fan of the old Warcraft RTS games. The Advance Wars games on Gameboy Advance also held my interest pretty well for a while. I really enjoyed the art in that game.

Lukehh

Reaction score
As a rule I do not enjoy strategy games very much. I find it difficult to get into a flow with them because often the consequences of a decision cannot be seen until many moves past the one which sent you down the road to ruin. That makes it hard for me to be able to assess what I did wrong so I can try to do better next time, which is frustrating. There are notable exceptions though. I was a big fan of the old Warcraft RTS games. The Advance Wars games on Gameboy Advance also held my interest pretty well for a while. I really enjoyed the art in that game.
Have you ever tried fire emblem? It's a lot like advanced war, and there have been a few good modern releases.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Have you ever tried fire emblem? It's a lot like advanced war, and there have been a few good modern releases.

I am only aware of the series' title and that it's been around forever. Oddly I've never played a Fire Emblem game of any variety! I've read information about the forthcoming Fire Emblem Warriors and it was like trying to read a language I don't speak. (Much like what I must imagine WoW players sound like to people who've never picked up an MMO). The art looks very charming though! I've always been a fan of anime visual tropes in games.

ZXD22

Reaction score
I don't mind playing strategy games once in awhile. After playing for a quite a bit, it starts to get very boring at least for me it does. Nothing like a couple games of chess or checkers to get your brain rolling and getting a great exercise in as well.

Lukehh

Reaction score
I am only aware of the series' title and that it's been around forever. Oddly I've never played a Fire Emblem game of any variety! I've read information about the forthcoming Fire Emblem Warriors and it was like trying to read a language I don't speak. (Much like what I must imagine WoW players sound like to people who've never picked up an MMO). The art looks very charming though! I've always been a fan of anime visual tropes in games.
If your a fan of anime tropes/visuals, I'd definitely give it a try! most of the older games are easy to emulate, I'm not sure about the newer ones though.

DenisHero

Reaction score
Strategy games along with RPG games are the most addictive.
You can develop tactics,and also requires some brain working.Not every person like to play this kind of games because you need patience.Its easier to play a basic game,where you do some specific tasks,that became boring over time.
Talking about battles game,you will always try to improve what you do think it's important for win.

mcbryan

Reaction score
A strategy game is one of the best types of games I played. Usually, I played it with my brother. The strategy game with players is named game of the generals. Aside from cool game rules and positions, the best part is it will train your strategic skills. Strategy game makes you think and analyze the situation deeper wherein losing is not an option. I recommend strategy game to others especially to kids because it will let them develop the skills inside them.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score

Mount and Blade? I wouldn't consider them like strategy games. I mean, I really love them, and I actually find difficult to define a genre for them... Maybe they are more an action/open world/RPG... They are awesome, and I can't wait for the sequel, but I don't think they fit in this topic.