• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you like to play strategy games?

lindbergh

Reaction score
The very first strategy game that I played was a port of Red Alert on the original PlayStation. I was hooked outright. I love to be able to build a base and design it the way I want it, train troops, build war machines, attack at different locations, defend my base, etc. It makes me feel like a real war general.

After Red Alert, I played numerous other strategy games like KKND Krossfire, Battle Realms, FF Tactics, Front Mission, and many more. Now I'm looking for a decent strategy game on mobile. Any suggestions?

kenoobie

Reaction score
I used to love strategy games. The very first strategy games I played is dune 2. Then I moved on to the C&C series. Then starcraft but shifted my interest to action rpgs like Diablo and dabbled a bit with warcraft 3.

MLF

Reaction score
I used to love strategy games. The very first strategy games I played is dune 2. Then I moved on to the C&C series. Then starcraft but shifted my interest to action rpgs like Diablo and dabbled a bit with warcraft 3.
I consider Warcraft III a strategy game myself.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I consider Warcraft III a strategy game myself.
Yes, It is a strategy game. What I mean is that I shifted my focus to adventure games. Then when I was still dabbling with warcraft 3, DotA came out and warcraft 3 became a MOBA for me.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I love strategy games. I enjoy playing them because they are not only fun, but it makes my mind sharp. Although sometimes they can be quite stressful but I guess you'll just have to get used to it, after all they are called strategy games for a reason. Some of my favorite strat games are Red Alert and Yuri's Revenge, WCIII and Zeus.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, i am also into tower defense and similar games. I want a thnking game.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Yes, definitely. :sunglasses: I love games that challenge my mind to go beyond the trivial (not that there is anything wrong with trivial games because I like them too :wink:) and I like to be challenged (it always makes me very excited :smiley:).

jitendra0341

Reaction score
I generally go for action- adventure games.But sometimes,strategy game also attracts me.The plot ,the idea to achieve something engage me.As it gives you freedom and creativity to play.As the game progresses , it is much funny and catchy to continue.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
MMORPG and strategy games are my two most favorite games.everything is balanced in a strategy game. No armour or weapon disadvantage or runes and socketed items to worry about. Its just a game of witts.
I agree. You don't have to grind hours in strategy games to get better items. Both teams start with the same units; it's all a matter of how you budget your time and resources during the time period where you are building your base. MMORPGs however are pretty pay-to-win dominant; and the truly free to play ones are filled with people who spend 18 hours a day grinding so they have insanely high levels compared to the newbies.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
God, yes. I haven't played many real-time strategy games (the first Warhammer is the only one I've played), but I'm absolutely in love with the turn-based ones. I like how laid-back some of them are, like Civilization, because sometimes it's nice to take a break from the most action-packed games and relax. Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem are amazing as well.
I find turn-based strategy games a bit boring since they take longer to play and take any action away by switching turns. Real time strategy is action-packed since all teams start at the same time, and it's a literal arms race to see who gets the big guns faster, while managing defensive structures as well as resources of the team in general. It's real time, so it's about battle of wits on the battlefield, and not having to wait turns like chess.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
I can also agree with that. In my opinion, it's best not to wear out one game. Like you said, sometimes it's good to leave old games alone for a while. Only to come back when newer updates have been implemented and possibly new players have joined. It gives you a sense of refreshment, along with the memories of an oldie but goodie without losing that spark.
Yeah.. I think this is what most of the gamers like us do. It feels so great to find a person to whom you can so well relate to. I'm happy that you understand my point and also play the games the way I do.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I find turn-based strategy games a bit boring since they take longer to play and take any action away by switching turns. Real time strategy is action-packed since all teams start at the same time, and it's a literal arms race to see who gets the big guns faster, while managing defensive structures as well as resources of the team in general. It's real time, so it's about battle of wits on the battlefield, and not having to wait turns like chess.

Yeah, I can see why, turn-based strategy games are not everyone's cup of tea. RTSs are definitely move invested and more competitive, as they force you to think quickly and act accordingly, they keep you on your toes. I personally like to take my time, because I find that pressure to be a little exhausting on the long go (and I like to think my strategies thoroughly), but I can't deny the real-time strategy games are generally more engaging.
That brings to mind a nice comparison between the two I read some time ago: RTSs are those games you like to play while drinking soda, whereas turn-based strategy games are those you play while sipping a glass of wine. I think it perfectly describes the different appeal the two genres have.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see why, turn-based strategy games are not everyone's cup of tea. RTSs are definitely move invested and more competitive, as they force you to think quickly and act accordingly, they keep you on your toes. I personally like to take my time, because I find that pressure to be a little exhausting on the long go (and I like to think my strategies thoroughly), but I can't deny the real-time strategy games are generally more engaging.
That brings to mind a nice comparison between the two I read some time ago: RTSs are those games you like to play while drinking soda, whereas turn-based strategy games are those you play while sipping a glass of wine. I think it perfectly describes the different appeal the two genres have.
Yup, but I still like turn based strategy games though. I have 300+ hours clocked on Civ 5. Civ 6 was pretty meh, so I just refunded it (I even preordered the thing because I was a fan of the other games), but it turned out to be not what I expected. I haven't seen any good real time strategy games these days. Can you recommend one? Most of the ones released the past few years are remasters of the 2000s games like Age of Empires and Rise of Nations.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yup, but I still like turn based strategy games though. I have 300+ hours clocked on Civ 5. Civ 6 was pretty meh, so I just refunded it (I even preordered the thing because I was a fan of the other games), but it turned out to be not what I expected. I haven't seen any good real time strategy games these days. Can you recommend one? Most of the ones released the past few years are remasters of the 2000s games like Age of Empires and Rise of Nations.

I haven't tried Civ6, but 5 is great, yeah.
As I said, I haven't played many, but I know some. Warhammer is the one I've played the most (the first one, Dawn of War), and I liked it a lot. I know that the Total War series is a safe bet, from the oldest titles (Medieval II or Rome) to the recent ones (I've heard good things about Napoleon and Shogun 2). There's even a crossover between the two series, Total War: Warhammer, which might be really interesting.

Joshmoy

Reaction score
Strategy games are mostly fun to me at the beginning but the excitement phases out slowly as time goes on.

Since they require a lot of planning and mental calculations, and I hardly have time for that, I seldomly play them. I prefer playing some soccer game or adventure.

I tried clash of clans once and I couldn't go on after a while.

missionreport

Reaction score
Well yeah I mean. For me, practically every game is a strategy game. But if you were referring to games like StarCraft, to me they are more like time games. You need to be conscious about time, since it is all about time. You need to be quick in creating your base, amassing your army quick enough to grab resources before the enemy does. So yeah. Strategy games are more like Time games to me.

Okaviator

Reaction score
I actually love strategy games. However, I've been looking for some new strategy games to fill up my freee time with. If you guys know of any good ones, feel free to mention them to me!

Lindsy90

Reaction score
I my opinion, strategy games are the best because they involve thinking the various ways on can defeat the enemy and with the least damage to one's own forces. It is unlike the mindless shooting like in mosy FPS (first person shooter) games. The opponent. It'd just truly exhilarating.
One of the best games in this genre according to me is Total war:shooting 2 set in feudal japan durin the sengoki jidai period. Where various feudal lords from all over japan aim to become the shogun or the military dictator.

Laibrown

Reaction score
Wow I don't just like them I love them. To me they are classical, I do feel like some sort of captain or commanding general when playing strategy games. I have to make decisions so as not to be defeated, I mean it is just awesome. I love it.

Kharyode

Reaction score
I do play it but found it hard to play.. I love strategic games because it
enables me to engage in, practice, my strategic
thinking skills in an environment where nothing is at stake.. I'm always hoping for the best