• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Board Games

overcast

Reaction score
Other than family I have played the board games with some friends. And it can be fun to play it that way. I have not much played with the online board games like the settlers etc. But would be looking forward to similar such games. It'd be interesting to play them as it can be fun to see how new content is innovating.

msyukionna

Reaction score
I like table top gaming. I especially like to watch it. I follow Will Wheaton's Table Top on the Geek & Sundry's Youtube channel very closely. I find the new games are very creatively made and have a strong focus on graphics and story-telling. It's so entertaining to watch. It makes me wish I can geek out with my friends but they are not that type of geek.

I do play the casual table top games with my family and friends. I've recently had a round of "Million Dollars But..." by Rooster Teeth (ok, technically it's a "card game") with my in-laws and it was hilarious!! My husband won that one because I think he's just sick in the head just the right way.

Oh, and, I remember the time that a big group of friends got together to catch up and decided to have a round of Cranium. There were a few in the group who never played before but they caught on alright. We got so loud playing Cranium at the party that the neighbours came to tell us off. Club Cranium Card + a decent amount of alcohol = mass hysteria madness incoherence. IT WAS GREAT! Embarrassing... but GREAT!

Robbie626

Reaction score
I loved to play Battleship in summer camp. I just loved the suspense of 1 on 1 and the strategy you can to pull to make it hard for your opponent to attack your ships.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my favorite was Snakes and Ladders. As I grew up, the board game that I liked playing with my family and friends is Clue-Do. Mainly because I always guess right. I like mysteries and being a detective. It's a fun board game.

StolenKid

Reaction score
My favorite board fame is Clue, it's really fun to play with your friends with some snacks and beer.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Chess and Monopoly are at the top of my list. Chess for the pleasure of challenging my mind (and I love games that can do this! :relieved:) and monopoly because it's extremely fun. :tonguewink:

Ferns

Reaction score
Monopoly is a huge part of my formative years, I used to play it all the time at family reunions with my cousins. In recent years I've really taken a liking to Cluedo. Very exciting and a brilliant way to amp up your memory skills and brain power, wrapped in an element of suspense.
I also love Rummikub, it's a fun little brain teaser.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I have been playing lots of board games and my favorite one is Monopoly. This was the best family game. I can still recall how we were playing till late at night during weekends. This was a game which involved the whole family and I can say that we were having the best family times.

Javo1096

Reaction score
I loved playing Dixit and Seasons but I had a blast playing this card game called Exploding Kittens, oh my god it was so fun because the cards are illustrated by the creator of The Oatmeal comics you should check it out.

WarVet

Reaction score
I used to play a lot of Monopoly and Chess.I even took chess lessons in high school. Nowadays i still play Chess with my bro mostly for fun than the competition I think board games teach us that we can have fun with small things. The fun is not in the technology involved in the item but in how well thought it was at the moment of its creation. I do love a good poker game though but that would be considered card, not a board game.

Ash

Reaction score
I've actually wanted to get Monopoly for a long time but never really wanted to pay £20 for it. I went to a Summer Fete the other day, and saw the Monopoly game for just a few pounds. It was almost brand new. We've played it twice so far and I'm proud to say that I've won both times. I love the game because you do have to think cleverly to do well and win. One mistake and you could lose everything. Personally would have preferred it if we got the one with the credit card machine. Having to handle the money as the banker can get annoying sometimes

kenoobie

Reaction score
Me and my friends play board games once a week. It is how we remain in touch with each other. as for board games, well we try to pool money together to buy games that we think are interesting. Currently we are playing Avalon and is really one of the interesting games out there. I would recommend it to you if you have a family of around 5 - 6 people or your group of friends is around that size. The game could also accommodate up to 8 people which would make for an interesting time since the game would be more complex.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I loved playing Cluedo with my mom and my friends back then when I was a kid. It was a fun game, the concept was pretty new to me as I got used to playing games like Chess, Snake and Ladders, and Monopoly. Never played a game where I would solve who killed who before and it was so much fun for me at the time. Too bad I lost my Cluedo set, I still had the original steel mini evidence figurines there.

thart

Reaction score
I always been interested in board games, starting a few years ago, but recently i've started to dive in with Catan, small world, and kittens in a Blender. Kittens has been a huge hit, as have Catan and Small world, although the latter took a bit to catch on.

Neo

Reaction score
I used to play monopoly a lot as a kid. Its a very interesting game and I still play it sometimes with friends. I also used to play snakes & ladders, checkers and mahjong. Ludo became a family game and we used to play one or two games every night.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I personally like playing scrabble. Growing up my family would have scrabble nights and in had some pretty damn competitive family members. It was quite a fun experience and not only that but playing scrabble also forces you to broaden your vocabulary.
Too bad most people make up words and wouldn't want to use dictionaries when that happens. Games all devolve into cheating or people complaining that they are losing, and the game doesn't end without any arguments. It's actually why people would rather play on their mobile phones than try board games. Too chaotic especially when you are playing with family members.

Maxthewriter

Reaction score
Well, I used to play chess with my brother since he taught me how to play it. Nowadays, I don't indulge in it anymore. Along the line, I even found it boring as I had to think and think before making a move. Yet,I hardly ever won. Lol

After chess, he (my brother) taught me how to play Scrabble. This is one which I have enjoyed playing ever since then. I got really good at it that I represented my high school then in an interschool Scrabble competition which held within the country.

It's been a while since then, and now I'm as rusty as a hydrated iron. About two weeks ago, I took part in my college's Scrabble competition and got wiped off the surface of the earth. Lol

One other board game that is rampant here is the ludo game. This game is played here by people of all ages. So, definitely, I can't be left out. I seldom indulge in playing it with my room and hostel mates.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I used to play monopoly a lot as a kid. Its a very interesting game and I still play it sometimes with friends. I also used to play snakes & ladders, checkers and mahjong. Ludo became a family game and we used to play one or two games every night.
They call it relationship/family time killers for a reason. I don't like playing board games / games in general where you directly compete with family. It always ends up pretty messy since someone takes it too seriously. If I were to play games, I'd just stick with games where we play together against the computer or something. Targeting someone specific and gaining points for that would really make someone pretty pissed off.

Lexi

Reaction score
I love to play Jenga with a good group of people. You'd be surprised how intense it can get. I also like Sorry and Scrabble. I enjoy playing Monopoly with my cousins, but it gets real with them. Board games are fun, I think everyone should have some around their house. You never know when you'll need them and they're great to spend time with family.

Neo

Reaction score
They call it relationship/family time killers for a reason. I don't like playing board games / games in general where you directly compete with family. It always ends up pretty messy since someone takes it too seriously. If I were to play games, I'd just stick with games where we play together against the computer or something. Targeting someone specific and gaining points for that would really make someone pretty pissed off.
Lol yes my mom used to take it very seriously. But we all believed in family bonding and the importance of sportsmanship, even in something as simple as a board game. We're family and we cannot let a board game define our relationship. Although sometimes, I used to try to lose on purpose to make any of my family members win, only to realize some of them are trying to do the same :p That used to be a little confusing but it was just raw fun and every second I spend with my family is irreplaceable, be it a board game or a computer game. Just because it may give rise to some small issues doesn't mean its not worth it. :)