• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Using Cheats

SerSlavos

Reaction score
Only when I play Sims or Heroes... I don't find using cheats fun when it comes to online games or something like that. But in single-player is fine I guess, no harm done to anyone (except AI which is fine, they tend to be overpowered in some games anyway).

Pixie06

Reaction score
I use cheats at times. It depends on the game. The last game that I used cheats for was "The Sims". The cheat was to obtain more money. My objective was to buy as many items as I can for the house. I didn't have enough funds but I had that desire to build my dream house. So I used the cheats to achieve my goals:tonguewink:

SashaS

Reaction score
I used to enjoy entering cheats in GTA games on my old PlayStation 2, but those times are long gone. I don't like cheating, not really for the moral aspect but it just ruins the game and makes that grind, that lust and effort to put in more effort and skill kind of pointless. I get the appeal, but its not for me. Games aren't meant to be cheated on. This is especially the case for multiplayer. Screw anyone who uses cheats in multiplayer games to ruin other genuine player's experiences.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I would use cheats on single player games just for fun. Usually to see an item that I have not yet acquired through my playthroughs and test them out.

jelleh

Reaction score
Depends what game. I wouldn't use hacks to complete a game faster. I would use cheats to have more fun while doing it :)

overcast

Reaction score
Cheats are what makes the game not much playable anymore. I hate it when people make use of the cheats. You can see that some games like age of kings and rise of nation just not worth playing with the cheats. I have found that some people just use the cheats to get much ahead than others. And for this reason it can be said that game becomes more boring this way.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
I use cheats only when I'm badly stuck for a long time . Otherwise I always stay away from them. Cheats are very tempting so I prefer to maintain as much distance as possible. I look at them only when they are the last resort.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I have never used any cheats on multiplayer games because it takes the fun out of it. Plus, it is unfair to the enemies. I hate cheaters when it comes to online gaming.

However, if you are talking about offline games such as singleplayer, then yes, I have used cheats. I think that everybody does it or has in the past. But not always and not with every single game. Mainly only with The Sims or on games that I want to test things out (building or strategy based). The Sims is just an easy game to cheat on, haha. I need money to feed my kids and build them an awesome mansion with five pools, ok?

Javo1096

Reaction score
The cheat code I used the most was one in Warcraft 3 to make your units indestructible and kill with just one attack, I remember the cheat code was "Who'syourdaddy" haha

megaman93

Reaction score
I use cheats once I beat the game. And I've read people using cheats for Grand Theft Auto. I most definitely did this. It was so fun to keep blowing stuff up and killing people while the police kept chasing me.

NotCasual

Reaction score
Never, I enjoy playing games the way they were meant to be played. I really hate getting any kind of advantage I shouldn't be having, be it due to a bug or cheat. Watching friends cheat as much as they could in GTA sort of irritated me, it seemed as if they didn't care about the game at all which they confirmed by always skipping cutscenes. Being all about purity in games isn't always good for me though. Because of it, I'm not able to enjoy games like Arma and Skyrim to the fullest because those games are all about the mods.

WarVet

Reaction score
I am a pure gamer and I rarely use cheats except on games like GTA as you mentioned and there is not doubt that cheats in such games add a lot of more fun and the game just seems to be more enjoyable when cheats are used. However, as I mostly play role playing games or strategy games, I don't like using cheats especially to ease things for me. As I stated earlier, I am a purist. And whenever I think of applying cheats on such games, its almost like being disrespectful to my skills. As a matter of fact, for me, its fun to be stuck at some spot in the game because such games are more challenging. But of course, its just a difference of perspective. As you said you just play games for fun, but when I start playing a game, I don't leave it until I have completed all the achievements, primarily to brag in front of my friend. ;)

I was exactly like that. However, after I found myself losing my mind over parts of certain games I could not pass I started using game guides. Then I thought "Hey a little cheating can't be bad" Now I cheat a lot (Offline) lol. At the end of the day, i just play for fun anyways so a little cheating can't hurt anyone. By any means, i think you're wrong though. I do like a good challenge but these days life is already too big of a challenge haha.

thart

Reaction score
I remember using cheats sometimes, Descent 3 god mode was burger god if i remember right. cheats were a great way to extend the life of a game after you beat it.

Joshmoy

Reaction score
Using cheats is not really cool but at the same time, is cool by me. I use cheats on my Grand Theft Auto vice City. I use the cheats to quickly accomplish missions so I can complete the missions in the game.

I have some cheats to get professional tools, thug tools, a cool limousine car and even an armor tank. I also can drive cars on water ways like beaches and rivers or oceans. I can also get my police wanted level to disappear from 5 stars.

Using cheats just cracks the game and gives you this godly power and control when playing the games.

Okaviator

Reaction score
I use cheats all the time whenever I can. However, if I'm playing a game I enjoy playing, I tend to stay away from cheating. If you guys know of any cheats for Grand Theft Auto 5, feel free to pm me them.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Gaming with the cheats locked in can make a game exciting at first, but with time it may get bored of having everything. I have come to realise that there's beauty in the struggle. The struggle actually makes the game worth playing. ;)
It's easy to get bored with something when you know you didn't earn the stuff you currently have. Having a 99 Sneak in Skyrim because you exploited a glitch at the very beginning would make going through the quests incredibly boring and repetitive, since there's not thrill of you not being good enough while sneaking, getting caught, and you having to defend yourself with whatever you have other than a bow since it doesn't work well with close combat. That's what makes the games boring. It's going to be really boring really fast if you are unkillable from the start.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I use cheats all the time whenever I can. However, if I'm playing a game I enjoy playing, I tend to stay away from cheating. If you guys know of any cheats for Grand Theft Auto 5, feel free to pm me them.
I'm sure you can just google them. I play with cheats when I finished the story already and I'm just enjoying the game while wasting time doing killing sprees or whatever. But if I use cheats to finish an otherwise hard quest easily, then I feel like I didn't earn it so the reward doesn't really belong to me. It also gets boring when you put in the cheat where you can't die; it's just basically following the script and knowing you can't die no matter what they throw at you.

Okaviator

Reaction score
I'm sure you can just google them. I play with cheats when I finished the story already and I'm just enjoying the game while wasting time doing killing sprees or whatever. But if I use cheats to finish an otherwise hard quest easily, then I feel like I didn't earn it so the reward doesn't really belong to me. It also gets boring when you put in the cheat where you can't die; it's just basically following the script and knowing you can't die no matter what they throw at you.
Yeah, I have to agree with you when you say that it gets boring. I used cheats and mods for a week or two which got old really fast. Now I've just moved onto other games.

Maxthewriter

Reaction score
Using cheats means you want the game to get boring as soon as possible, as you'all find it totally effortless to achieve the goal of the game. You won't stress it at all. Well, at least, this is what I feel.

This defeats the essence of the game. The joy in accomplishing goals is enormously diminished. So, I often times, try as much as possible not to indulge in practices such as using cheats.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
My personal rule on cheats is that I have to make an honest, good faith try at solving any puzzles or passing any obstacles before I resort to any extra-mechanic activities. Note that I do consider the consultation of guides to be cheating. The way I see it, games are supposed to be fun. There's no objective formula to how fun works but there's certainly a tug of war between challenge and reward. When a challenge becomes insurmountable to the point it becomes a frustration, fun just goes right out the window. If I've made a honest, hard effort to pass a part of a game and just failed over and over again, I will resort to whatever means are necessary to pass that point and then resume normal gameplay.

Philosophically, so long as we're talking about single player games, you can only cheat yourself. If you don't feel cheated when you use a cheat, then you're good to go! In multiplayer games a level playing field and adherence to the rules becomes more of an ethics conversation. I wont cheat in multiplayer games just on principal.