• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How quickly do you go through headsets?

Empire

Reaction score
In my time, allot and they aren't cheap ones that are broken. I had Astro A40 that was around $200 plus then Monster DNA even though it was given to be and another old headset.

Yet the once that I'm using now for the past year or so are great and only cost me like $30 :) and still together

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
In my time, allot and they aren't cheap ones that are broken. I had Astro A40 that was around $200 plus then Monster DNA even though it was given to be and another old headset.

Yet the once that I'm using now for the past year or so are great and only cost me like $30 :) and still together

Before I looked into headsets I wanted some Astro's so badly. They were like the shiz back then with PC/XBOX360 gamers. Now Astro has faded away and given way to some companies like Hyper X and Sennheiser

Empire

Reaction score
Before I looked into headsets I wanted some Astro's so badly. They were like the shiz back then with PC/XBOX360 gamers. Now Astro has faded away and given way to some companies like Hyper X and Sennheiser
They are very good in terms of wearing them and hearing the sounds and able to use the MIXAMP Mixer (that I still use) with the controls for "game" to "voice" however the built in microphone was an pain to get it to work. The mic comes on or off and as you tend to do that the connection becomes loss and it hardly works, and the results that I had to replace another microphone for it (yep $18 extra). Then one day I used it so much that the plastic casing from the right headset broken off. Super glue worked for an week till it went again. And as I added more super glue it somewhat eating up more of the plastic.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
They are very good in terms of wearing them and hearing the sounds and able to use the MIXAMP Mixer (that I still use) with the controls for "game" to "voice" however the built in microphone was an pain to get it to work. The mic comes on or off and as you tend to do that the connection becomes loss and it hardly works, and the results that I had to replace another microphone for it (yep $18 extra). Then one day I used it so much that the plastic casing from the right headset broken off. Super glue worked for an week till it went again. And as I added more super glue it somewhat eating up more of the plastic.

I care more for durability than for quality of the actual thing.

I ain't made of money, so as long as I am heard with decent quality and I have good audio for treble/bass then I'm good as long as the headset will last at least one year.

Didn't know Astro's had a mixer. Usually my headsets come with Software to mix them.

Fordo

Reaction score
The longest I ever have gone without needing a new one was probably a year and a half. Now the ones I purchase seem to be going far quicker. Needing a new one every 6 months. Note I'm not willing to spend more than $35 on a headset.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I've had my current headset (Logitech G430) for around 5-6 months now, no issues at all. Previously I had a Sound Blaster headset which broke after 2-3 months, right ear cup lost its sound completely.. rip.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
My Plantronics headset has been alive for over a year now without any visible or audible decline in quality. I think for the price I paid, it really went over and beyond the quality and service the product provided. Some day it's all about the handling of the user, but I think it's also about the quality of the product itself, as even the most careful person in the world won't have lasting equipment if these items are of subpar quality and made of cheap materials and adhesion.

lexcion

Reaction score
I always buy really cheap headsets, so they don't last more than a couple months after I accidentally sit on them or walk away from my computer with it still on my head. Recently I just got a Turtle Beach PX 22 for sale and I can really feel the difference in both sound quality and cushioning. All the time in the past my ears used to really hurt after I played for a couple hours but with the new headset I've never had any pains.

Ipa07

Reaction score
I changed 3 headsets in 6 years. I only change them when they stop working. I'm now on Steelseries and I'm really happy with them.

EJ Burg

Reaction score
I'm on the second set for the year the first set still works but as it's wireless headphone it has happened a couple of times that i'm gaming in the middle of the night and the battery goes flat it turns off and my PC switches to the speaker output and I wake everyone up so I bought a Wired set of headphones now and thing are much more peaceful now haha.

overcast

Reaction score
These days I am using the mobile headset because I have mobile around with me the most. And at home, mostly the headset of the laptop. So not much of classy gear I have. I have to regularly change those headsets there. You can see that such headsets can be really bad in that case. You can see that such mobile based headsets can be good for that.

msyukionna

Reaction score
I still have an old headset that I've used through my gaming /streaming /video making era that still works. It is a Logitech one; forgot what model. It's a headset with mic attached via a mouthpiece instead of them-flimsy-bendable-cable-thingy. My followers says it makes me look like I work at a call centre (that's their lighthearted attempt at a racist joke). It lasted forever! It's been 10 years since I got them. The sponge part of the earphones ripped, so I did a little DIY and sew some new ones in. The electronics are still completely in tact after all these time - quite rare for headsets to last this long.

I seldom use headsets now because now that I've moved in with my partner, we have the house all the ourselves and I blast sounds through the surround sound system! I hardly do any community gaming anymore, which is a shame. I'm thinking of investing in a good mic if I ever get back into it.

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I have the HyperX Cloud 1S. They are great. I don't need 7.1 and the mic quality is fine for games. The Cloud 2s and 1s are identical except for the 2s having a better mic and USB base. Same audio drivers, I hear. I probably wont even get another headset. If these break, I will try out Kingston's warranty.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I use mostly cheap headsets with comfy ears and stable mic. Probably the average lifespan would be 8 months to a year of use. Like I said, it is a cheap headset lol. Probably only costs 15$-20$.

kgord

Reaction score
I can't afford expensive headphones so unless I can get some on Amazon I will probably not get them. It is just one of the things that I choose not to spend money on. Cheap or inexpensive headphones work for me. I see no reason to spend big bucks on expensive headphones.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I am on the computer so much that I usually go through a headset about 2~3 years. Because the speakers always end up wearing out on me. Headsets these days are cheap compared to headsets 10+ years ago. I remember the first headset that I bought lasted 5+ years and the cord never tangled. Today they use cheap speakers and cheap cords that always tangle!

fishmonk

Reaction score
A good headset will last me around 4 years.I use my headsets for long periods of time daily. I usually buy new muffs to replace the old ones. Nowadays, I find it important to have premium headsets of good sound quality and comfort. I have not had to throw headsets due to poor speaker problems so far.

Yukibana

Reaction score
I've had a rather low-quality Logitech headset, then a Creative one, and now I have Sennheiser HD558. None of them have truly broken on me without having been damaged in some way, so I don't really think I had to upgrade, strictly speaking. It's important to me to have high quality for something I use for much of my day.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
Generally speaking, they'll usually last me for a while. I take care of the products I buy. Normally the only fault I'll have in headsets is one of the wires shorting. In which case I'll attempt to find and fix the break with some sort of electrical tape or sealant. However, this isn't a problem with my current setup as I'm very happy with my Logitech G930 wireless headset. I bought it second hand from a friend about 3 months ago. Plus I got an incredibly good deal considering how much it goes for in retail. If I had to give an estimation on the life span of my headsets? Normally 6-9 months for me.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I don't wear out headphones that much, but sweat and time will inevitably wear out the earpads, but luckily you can buy replacement for that. The last full-on upgrade I did was a year ago, but just because the previous set I had was a cheap 20$ one (and it still managed to last 4 years or so). I'm not an upgrade maniac, though.