• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How much money?

Denis_P

Reaction score
How's a laptop worth that much?

Eh, well you know how it goes with gaming laptops. Putting good specs into something mobile is always going to cost a bunch of cash. It's an Asus ROG G750JS.

- 3.4 GHz Core i7-4700HQ CPU
- 16 GB DDR3 RAM
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 870M 3 GB
- 1 TB HDD + 256GB SSD

Sure it'd be cheaper these days but at the time that was one of the top models. Plus of course you're paying a little bit for the brand name but it's nowhere near as bad as the money-to-specs ratio when buying Apple laptops, for example.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Eh, well you know how it goes with gaming laptops. Putting good specs into something mobile is always going to cost a bunch of cash. It's an Asus ROG G750JS.

- 3.4 GHz Core i7-4700HQ CPU
- 16 GB DDR3 RAM
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 870M 3 GB
- 1 TB HDD + 256GB SSD

Sure it'd be cheaper these days but at the time that was one of the top models. Plus of course you're paying a little bit for the brand name but it's nowhere near as bad as the money-to-specs ratio when buying Apple laptops, for example.
I swear people buy those things just for the Apple sticker at the back. As for the laptop, I think it looks great. One thing I hate about laptops though is the built in keyboard and pad. The keyboard always seems so tightly packed I mistakenly press the buttons. The trackpad is even worse because whenever I'm using the keyboard my wrist usually rests on that area and the mouse pointer keeps moving things in the desktop. It's annoying so I just stick with your standard PC.

valy

Reaction score
I don't even want to think about that. I have spent a lot on consoles and video games in the past. I really like the Xbox 360, but the milking business model that came with it was too much. I don't want to think about how much money I spent on console gaming last gen, and I didn't even realize until I went to the PC.

Strelitzia

Reaction score
Lmao I spent a metric crud ton of money on consoles and accessories- but that was way back when I had a collection actually going. These days I'm strictly PC gaming than console. I just can't justify paying for the premiums for the console stuff and the constant turnover that goes with them either. Plus for what I want and what I do it's just more cost effective to do PC for now until I can really plunk my arse down and actually immerse myself in some of the console exclusive games that have come out the past few years. Desktop for gaming all the way baby. Laptops and tablets are strictly for my work. No amount of money dumped into those can justify what I get out of them in raw power and use. Useful for portable entertainment and work related programs, ect but absolutely not for gaming. I don't care that there's gaming laptop lines. The cost doesn't justify them because their longevity isn't as great. Besides I move around so much I'd likely break them more than actually use them for gaming haha. Gaming laptops just aren't for me XD.

Dhanidhamy

Reaction score
The highest I spent was $10 when I purchased a pad, I simply do exchanges with friends and tip my parents of games I'll love to have on my birthdays. My uncle provides majority of games I play so I don't buy.

zeedollar

Reaction score
I haven't spent more than $300 - $400 on my console, i try to also watch the amount i spend to avoid money problems, if i really need any gear i just get from my friends who already bought one or i will pay a lesser amount online to acquire a used one.

yunken

Reaction score
I can't say exactly, but since when I started playing games, I have spent so much money on them that I can't really recall the exact amount I have spent so far

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I cringe to think about how much I have spent on gaming. I have been gaming since 1984 and between PC and game consoles I know for sure without a doubt $25k+ and I am willing to bet more like $30k. When I was married to my ex~wife I was going to gamestop and spending at least $200~$300 a month for the longest time. And when I stopped they bombarded me with your our premier customer come back lol. That went one for over a year!

fireball916

Reaction score
Oh jeez should I really be adding it all up?I know I've spent $700 just on the PS4/PS3 consoles and controllers. If I assume 50 games each for PS3 and PS4 at around $15 each is another $1500. Then we have PC gaming...I think I spent around $500 for my budget gaming PC plus around $100 for games. So maybe 2-3k? That's actually not that bad I guess. People drop more than that on one computer build right?

I cringe to think about how much I have spent on gaming. I have been gaming since 1984 and between PC and game consoles I know for sure without a doubt $25k+ and I am willing to bet more like $30k. When I was married to my ex~wife I was going to gamestop and spending at least $200~$300 a month for the longest time. And when I stopped they bombarded me with your our premier customer come back lol. That went one for over a year!
Woah $200-300 a month?!? Was that on just games or does that include accessories and other stuff? I'm sure your wallet has thanked you for stopping that lol.

whatareyou420

Reaction score
Yeah, at least ten grand for me. I've bought a lot of games and consoles in my lifetime. Consoles alone, I've probably spent $3000 on. Especially considering I have boutght quite a few of them at launch. It adds up.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I haven't spent more than $300 - $400 on my console, i try to also watch the amount i spend to avoid money problems, if i really need any gear i just get from my friends who already bought one or i will pay a lesser amount online to acquire a used one.
Eh, I have doubts on buying stuff online, especially when they are used already. Way too much risk for the reward since you won't be getting your money back if the thing you got broke a week into buying it. Also, no warranty so everything you shell out all comes out of your end and you won't have a guarantee that it will be worth it. For me, I'll stick with stores near me since at least I can sleep knowing even if my machine breaks, I can get free repairs done.

anaatef9

Reaction score
I am not 100% certain but I would say it is in the range of 1000$. This includes 2 gaming consoles and games. I don't buy DLC or use micro transactions. I would say that amount is spent on the range of 7 years of console gaming.

zeedollar

Reaction score
Eh, I have doubts on buying stuff online, especially when they are used already. Way too much risk for the reward since you won't be getting your money back if the thing you got broke a week into buying it. Also, no warranty so everything you shell out all comes out of your end and you won't have a guarantee that it will be worth it. For me, I'll stick with stores near me since at least I can sleep knowing even if my machine breaks, I can get free repairs done.
Yeah true, so many disadvantage on buying used stuff, but if you have a keen eyes for quality, you will never have a bad buy. Every used stuff i have bought have been a win for me as i always take time to acertain its clean state of health.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah true, so many disadvantage on buying used stuff, but if you have a keen eyes for quality, you will never have a bad buy. Every used stuff i have bought have been a win for me as i always take time to acertain its clean state of health.
You're lucky then. For me I don't even want to take that risk. Too big and the seller might disappear on you when you need to ask some questions. Lots of things can go wrong, and not even on the seller's end. The package maybe dropped or bumped during delivery and it breaks before you get it; it might not be compatible with your system, or hell, you just are not satisfied with the product you got. Lots of things can go wrong and it's just really not worth it for me. Good for you though for having a good eye on online stuff.

zeedollar

Reaction score
You're lucky then. For me I don't even want to take that risk. Too big and the seller might disappear on you when you need to ask some questions. Lots of things can go wrong, and not even on the seller's end. The package maybe dropped or bumped during delivery and it breaks before you get it; it might not be compatible with your system, or hell, you just are not satisfied with the product you got. Lots of things can go wrong and it's just really not worth it for me. Good for you though for having a good eye on online stuff.
I guess am lucky, but even the new products sometimes have these problems, you might order for something only to find out it was broken, happened to friend of mine just last week.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I guess am lucky, but even the new products sometimes have these problems, you might order for something only to find out it was broken, happened to friend of mine just last week.
I bought a screen protector for my drawing tablet before. Went to ebay and bought one, and I ended up not liking it - not using it even - because the quality was not as advertised. Seller never got back to me and at least it was just $50 or I would have been screwed even more. Since then I just keep physical stuff to nearby stores, while digital stuff on online ones. Much easier that way and at least I don't have to wait a month before it comes through.

zeedollar

Reaction score
I bought a screen protector for my drawing tablet before. Went to ebay and bought one, and I ended up not liking it - not using it even - because the quality was not as advertised. Seller never got back to me and at least it was just $50 or I would have been screwed even more. Since then I just keep physical stuff to nearby stores, while digital stuff on online ones. Much easier that way and at least I don't have to wait a month before it comes through.
So sad to hear, If am buying an upgrade for my console, it better be as it was stated or i will hunt the seller down even to the end of the earth... lol. Common joke with me on any other thing but definitely not with my console.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
So sad to hear, If am buying an upgrade for my console, it better be as it was stated or i will hunt the seller down even to the end of the earth... lol. Common joke with me on any other thing but definitely not with my console.
lol I figure it's not worth pursuing the seller more since she obviously didn't want to be contacted for refund issues. Just another lesson in the long line of experiences I guess. Now I'm more careful and would research the seller and not just the item I am getting. I also prefer to stick with local purchases on brand new stuff since the warranty lasts up to 2 years on electronics and it is hard to pass that up. I'd rather have a guarantee and quick resolution rather than waiting for weeks or even months for the package to arrive.

huggy212

Reaction score
I spent like $1200 just on a laptop if yupou consider it. but im very much happy on it. I spent also on it's accessories and other parts. I dont really buy much games because many times at some point it will be free. I just spend money ( very unusual ) to buy in game items or to be a premium user on that game.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I spent like $1200 just on a laptop if yupou consider it. but im very much happy on it. I spent also on it's accessories and other parts. I dont really buy much games because many times at some point it will be free. I just spend money ( very unusual ) to buy in game items or to be a premium user on that game.
For $1200 you damn well better be satisfied with the laptop you got lol. I don't think I can spend that much for a laptop though. A 1080 graphics card is about $750, which can run most games now and for the next 5 years or so. It's a much better investment for your money in my opinion, but then again it's heavy and you can't move it anywhere so a laptop might be better for mobility :)