• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How do you choose your games?

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I generally buy games only during Steam sales, so the cost is not really a problem, and I use to not pay more than 5 dollars per game (with some exceptions).
Everytime a game that interest me comes out, I'll put in my wishlist and during the Steam sale I browse said wishlist and buy as much as I can afford for the budget I've saved during the previous months (yes, I save a small/medium amount of money specifically for the Steam sales).
And then there are the various game bundles, but that's another story.
Anyway with this method I got too many games which I'll probably never play, heh. But I'm fine with it.

hermessantos

Reaction score
Exclusive use of internet. Forums, videos, and gaming company sites are my top references for choosing a new game.
The opinion of some friends is also valid, but I usually refer mainly to the internet.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I generally buy games only during Steam sales, so the cost is not really a problem, and I use to not pay more than 5 dollars per game (with some exceptions).
Everytime a game that interest me comes out, I'll put in my wishlist and during the Steam sale I browse said wishlist and buy as much as I can afford for the budget I've saved during the previous months (yes, I save a small/medium amount of money specifically for the Steam sales).
And then there are the various game bundles, but that's another story.
Anyway with this method I got too many games which I'll probably never play, heh. But I'm fine with it.
Me too. I personally have a 50% discount limit, but like you said, unless the game is really good or I really want it. I buy games, sell their cards to add to my funds, then use it to buy even more games. It's a lot fun that way, though the card prices during sales plummet because lots of players sell their cards there too to buy new games. Supply and demand, all that. Still, it's a fun way to save money when you want to get games, and you'll probably have a lot of games even if you spend a total of $10.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
Many people don't use their intelligent, even most of them don't know which game is best to choose. They simply flow in the streams of games presented before them. This is the tactics youtuber and game promoter apply for their games

jitendra0341

Reaction score
You are right here. Reviews are definitely important. I also read the reviews before actually purchasing the games. I also ask my friend for recommendations. When buying PC games especially we must be cautious because it might not be suitable for all operating systems.
We should read reviews before going to buy new games.It helps to choose our desired games but be careful about all reviews. Some are posted just to increase their website traffic.Use your intelligent to decide on the games you really want.

WarVet

Reaction score
What a nice selection you got there, congrats! The only game from your list I haven't got to try is Killing Floor, but the rest are really awesome titles. Life is Strange is probably one of the best Steam games out there, it's going to keep you hooked for a while.

So I heard buddy. That game where your every choice affects the rest of the story aye? A buddy of mine highly recommended it but I haven't tried it out. Is it really as good as they say it?

Sino989

Reaction score
I usually choose my games by thinking a game looks cool and then I look at the reviews. Usually reviews are a good way to know if a game is worth it or not because most reviews are brutally honest.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
Lots of games lie on their trailers though. It's been that way since the dawn of time. People get hyped up, people buy the game, game doesn't live up to the hype, but it doesn't matter because they already got your money. You'd think with refund systems with games they'd try to be more truthful with what their product can offer, but no.

I agree with the refund system. That's why I wait for reviews first and watch gameplays, because trailer can be misleading, I pity those who buy the games because they were sold from watching the trailer.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I agree with the refund system. That's why I wait for reviews first and watch gameplays, because trailer can be misleading, I pity those who buy the games because they were sold from watching the trailer.
Meh, they'll learn eventually. A lot more people buy on Steam and it's just gonna get bigger. The refund button would be great since a lot of people get buyer's remorse, especially if they are particularly new to this sort of thing. Always having the option to reverse your decision and get 100% of your money back is a lifesaver.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
So I heard buddy. That game where your every choice affects the rest of the story aye? A buddy of mine highly recommended it but I haven't tried it out. Is it really as good as they say it?
If you like that type of game then you'll definitely enjoy it, it's better than most of the titles in that genre. I played The Walking Dead episodes and while they were good Life is Strange is just so much better.

Wolfparttimer

Reaction score
It depends on the kind of game. For Example:

If it is a Online game, I must decide for a F2P where you can really enjoy the game by playing with the free items on it. In my country, it is kind of difficult to get $ so we have to just enjoy the free ones, and play a lot to get the Free promotional stuff.

Then after deciding for a F2P, I usually go for the kind of characters you can create, the art, and the story that develops inside the game, if I'm happy with that, then I'll give it a try. If not, then I just uninstall or don't download it.

If it is a Console game, I have to be biased with the game, and completely in love with it, because I usually don't buy console games (They are too expensive for my wallet right now).

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
If you like that type of game then you'll definitely enjoy it, it's better than most of the titles in that genre. I played The Walking Dead episodes and while they were good Life is Strange is just so much better.
Just finished Life is Strange just last night. I thought I did a good job and picked the right choices. I went to the wiki earlier today to see what the choices I didn't pick affected the story and I think for the majority of it I got it right. Although the sub quests like talking to the classmates, teacher, and the diner patrons weren't completed in mine because I thought they were background characters that matter little to the story. Technically true, but I missed a lot of interactions because I just wanted to do the main story.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
Meh, they'll learn eventually. A lot more people buy on Steam and it's just gonna get bigger. The refund button would be great since a lot of people get buyer's remorse, especially if they are particularly new to this sort of thing. Always having the option to reverse your decision and get 100% of your money back is a lifesaver.

Definitely! But I doubt they would implement that soon though. A lot of customers might abuse it, they can just say that they didn't like the game and get their money back after playing then proceed to buy a new game.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I choose my games based on reviews and gameplay videos. I usually search for a genre I like and start from there.

WarVet

Reaction score

I do aye! They resemble real life a lot if you come to think of it. Your every choice has a distinct consequence and alters your future in a minor or major way depending on the choice. Have you played Heavy Rain? Same style but with a much more mature theme. Great game.

yunken

Reaction score
I chose all FIFA games even before they are released, cos I have so much trust in them and I know I will never be disappointed. FIFA has been trying with all the game they have made so far

Dhanidhamy

Reaction score
I choose mostly based on popularity and suggestions from gamers. There are indeed a lot of games and one to choose from can be a difficult decision to make.

Deathisue

Reaction score
To choose my games ,i just play demos went i can, if not possible, i just see pages like IGN, Metacritics, etc, but sometimes is not a good idea see recomendations of that kind of pages, is better just go to steam and see the reviews and that kind of things.

ZXD22

Reaction score
I buy a game after watching a game play of it or two and keeping an eye on the price once it goes on sale. I also read a couple reviews to know more about the game's good and bads as well as what to expect.

Westbay

Reaction score
Before buying a game I check first for an adventure game with enough missions then I check the game play online to see if its worth it this actually reveals a lot because when people play games to post online they explore every sector so If the games my attention I will then know which platform am playing it, I usually prefer PC games but if its not on PC or perhaps the requirements exceed my PC configuration I will then consider getting it for my Playstation 4 this was the exact thing I did before purchasing Call of Duty Advanded Warfare.