• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How do you choose your games?

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Yes,it is us who has the power to decide.The quote says'Customer is the king'.We see reviews to see the different perspective of people about the game that help us to make proper decision.It is important not decisive but helpful.

That's is the right thing: be useful and not decisive. But unfortunately millions of people can't see the reviews in that way and end up confusing the whole thing. People have to learn to separate things.

Ash

Reaction score
I only get a few games a year because I am pretty fussy when it comes to games and I only like a few niches to be honest. One of those games is always FIFA because I make sure to get the game every year no matter what. I usually choose games based on the trailers and hype around it. If the game looks cool in the trailer, I will make sure to look at gameplay videos if there are any. If the game interests me then I will look at buying it. Of course I don't get every game that I like and I find interesting because PS4 games tend to be so expensive when they first come out. Because of that I choose the most interesting games and the others I will wait for a while and get it after the prices go down

Javo1096

Reaction score
Pretty much like how I like to pick my books by reading reviews, asking othe people, watching gameplays and all that stuff in general. Sometimes I like to go deeper and do a little research about the development of the game or the company who made it.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
What a nice selection you got there, congrats! The only game from your list I haven't got to try is Killing Floor, but the rest are really awesome titles. Life is Strange is probably one of the best Steam games out there, it's going to keep you hooked for a while.
Yeah I keep hearing about Life is Strange and all that. I haven't played Episode 1 yet, but there are 5 episodes in total so if I like it I'll probably jump on the remaining episodes if it ever comes on sale. As for now, I'm still trying to finish my games, and since I got those games I mentioned for free, I don't really have any pressure to rush since I don't have to refund any of them.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well, there is nothing inherently wrong with them, but it's a very popular genre and the store has been flooded with Early Access games of the likes (really alike).
Far Cry 3 is a big exception I forgot to mention. I guess a lot of survival FPSs have taken inspiration from it, alongside the other games that started the trend, like DayZ, but that doesn't influence the product's quality at all. The plot and the characters are both really good, and they definitely make a difference.
Umh, as for The Forest, I'll admit I've only heard rumors about it, but it looks like more of the same to me. It looks more polished, and that's something all those DayZ clones lack, but I can't really speak for the game's quality.
I see. I got Firewatch on sale yesterday but that's about it for those types of games. I got Portals, Brothers, and the Talos Principle. Mostly puzzle games, but I like a different change in pace since I've played a lot of adventure games lately, so having one walking simulator and a bunch of puzzle games would be enough to keep me busy until the next sale, which is probably in November.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Pretty much like how I like to pick my books by reading reviews, asking othe people, watching gameplays and all that stuff in general. Sometimes I like to go deeper and do a little research about the development of the game or the company who made it.
Meh, if push comes to shove after purchasing a game you can at least get a refund if you decide quickly (2 hour window) during the game. It's why I think games should make a good first impression; most gamers have just 2 hours of game time to judge the game in its entirety and whether they should ask a refund, so I think game devs should focus more on those areas to give a good sample for the rest of the game.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
That's is the right thing: be useful and not decisive. But unfortunately millions of people can't see the reviews in that way and end up confusing the whole thing. People have to learn to separate things.
Yes , people always influence by the reviews.They do not use their own intelligence to decide about what is good and interesting games they want.There are lots of individuals coming only to make money view youtube ,blog and other medium.They present catchy and tempting reviews about the game they intended to promote.And we fall prey to it.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
Oh man, I was thinking of getting Far Cry 3 or The Forest, both of which are survival FPS if I'm not mistaken. What's so bad about them? It can't be that bad considering it's a mix of both FPS and the horror genre? What do you think of the 2 games I mentioned?
Yes, you are right both games are interesting that include survival FPS and horror simultaneously.So it is two thing in one package and it is not that bad.Who says it to be bad.It is recommendable games for those who wants to enjoy thrilling games.These games are excellent to play for any game lover.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
Me as well. I have the Killing Floor, Payday 2, Limbo, and Life is Strange on my Steam library because I got all of them for free. I haven't played any of them yet but hey, they were free and you really can't say no to that, no matter how little you know about the games and stuff.
A good collection of games you have.Although they are free,but are good to enjoy.In addition,it is nice thing that they all are free and no one can deny to have them all whether people have interest in games or not.These type of surprise is always welcome.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
A good collection of games you have.Although they are free,but are good to enjoy.In addition,it is nice thing that they all are free and no one can deny to have them all whether people have interest in games or not.These type of surprise is always welcome.
You should go on more forums/sites about gaming and Steam. They give you updates or alerts when a game is free, and all you gotta do is go to the Steam page, add it to the library, and it's yours permanently. There are also free stuff on GoG and Humblebundle, so you gotta check those sites out too. Usually promos and limited time offers, but hey, free is free.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I see. I got Firewatch on sale yesterday but that's about it for those types of games. I got Portals, Brothers, and the Talos Principle. Mostly puzzle games, but I like a different change in pace since I've played a lot of adventure games lately, so having one walking simulator and a bunch of puzzle games would be enough to keep me busy until the next sale, which is probably in November.
Ooh, great choices. Portal 1 and 2 are both godly, they're some of the most brilliant puzzle games of all time out there. Their only downside is that they're both pretty short, but they really make the most out of every gimmick, so that was probably for the best. Still, on Portal 2 you can play community maps once you're done, and there's an amazing mod, Portal Stories: Mel, which even got the Best Fan Creation award at the Game Awards a few years ago. Try it out once you're done with the main game (...yes, I may be speaking a little too early, haha).

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Ooh, great choices. Portal 1 and 2 are both godly, they're some of the most brilliant puzzle games of all time out there. Their only downside is that they're both pretty short, but they really make the most out of every gimmick, so that was probably for the best. Still, on Portal 2 you can play community maps once you're done, and there's an amazing mod, Portal Stories: Mel, which even got the Best Fan Creation award at the Game Awards a few years ago. Try it out once you're done with the main game (...yes, I may be speaking a little too early, haha).
Maybe later; I'm playing Firewatch and I'm hooked. It's basically hiking in the woods (I'm still early in the game) and it's a pretty relaxing experience. Steam Sale ends in 12 hours or so, so the games I have now will probably be the same ones until the next sale, which I think is in November or December. What about you? What are you playing at the moment? I swear there's a lot on my plate and it would take a while to finish these games.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Maybe later; I'm playing Firewatch and I'm hooked. It's basically hiking in the woods (I'm still early in the game) and it's a pretty relaxing experience. Steam Sale ends in 12 hours or so, so the games I have now will probably be the same ones until the next sale, which I think is in November or December. What about you? What are you playing at the moment? I swear there's a lot on my plate and it would take a while to finish these games.
Yeah, I heard about that one. I didn't play myself, I only watched a few walkthroughs and it does seem relaxing, indeed.
Right now I've put PC games on hold, despite my overwhelming backlog (in addition, I started Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM: Enemy Unknown and then dropped them for no particular reason, I was enjoying both), to get ready for Metroid II's remake due in September. I've recently replayed Zero Mission and have just started Super Metroid, then I hope to finish the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy this time. After them, I'll go back to the two I mentioned before (I don't feel comfortable playing new games before finishing the old gems I've still got). It will be months before I finish all these for me too, that's for sure, haha.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about that one. I didn't play myself, I only watched a few walkthroughs and it does seem relaxing, indeed.
Right now I've put PC games on hold, despite my overwhelming backlog (in addition, I started Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM: Enemy Unknown and then dropped them for no particular reason, I was enjoying both), to get ready for Metroid II's remake due in September. I've recently replayed Zero Mission and have just started Super Metroid, then I hope to finish the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy this time. After them, I'll go back to the two I mentioned before (I don't feel comfortable playing new games before finishing the old gems I've still got). It will be months before I finish all these for me too, that's for sure, haha.
Still playing Firewatch at the moment; I hate first person games honestly. They make me dizzy with the FOV and walking animation in general. I just can't stand it. Motion sickness and all that. Anyway, it's still gripping, and I don't think it will be that long of a game so I'll probably finish it today. I'm here at the forum chatting with people during breaks so I don't get as dizzy.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Still playing Firewatch at the moment; I hate first person games honestly. They make me dizzy with the FOV and walking animation in general. I just can't stand it. Motion sickness and all that. Anyway, it's still gripping, and I don't think it will be that long of a game so I'll probably finish it today. I'm here at the forum chatting with people during breaks so I don't get as dizzy.
Wow, is it really that bad? I first learned about motion sickness after watching some videos about virtual reality, but I didn't know some people experienced it with standard first-person visual games, too. Is it because of the wobbling? Or is it due to the sudden camera movements? Whatever it is, I imagine FOV must make it worse. Sorry to hear that, though, that must suck :/

Pixie06

Reaction score
I read game reviews on youtube and forums , blogs.I read the description about the game.I search for system requirement ,features,mechanics of the game.The opinions about expert is also important to me.they give us valuable feedback about the game.
You are right here. Reviews are definitely important. I also read the reviews before actually purchasing the games. I also ask my friend for recommendations. When buying PC games especially we must be cautious because it might not be suitable for all operating systems.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Yeah I keep hearing about Life is Strange and all that. I haven't played Episode 1 yet, but there are 5 episodes in total so if I like it I'll probably jump on the remaining episodes if it ever comes on sale. As for now, I'm still trying to finish my games, and since I got those games I mentioned for free, I don't really have any pressure to rush since I don't have to refund any of them.
The first episode of the game is really interesting, but in my opinion the action gets so much more intense in the later episodes. Episode 3 is probably my favorite, a good mix of story-telling and action which will keep you on the edge of your seat.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
The first episode of the game is really interesting, but in my opinion the action gets so much more intense in the later episodes. Episode 3 is probably my favorite, a good mix of story-telling and action which will keep you on the edge of your seat.
I think I'll try that next then. Steam sale ends in like 2 hours lol so I probably won't get the next episodes for a discount until November, so it will be a while. I'll play a bit and think about it, then get a last minute purchase if I like it. I just finished Firewatch and it was okay. Second half of the game felt pretty rushed though.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Wow, is it really that bad? I first learned about motion sickness after watching some videos about virtual reality, but I didn't know some people experienced it with standard first-person visual games, too. Is it because of the wobbling? Or is it due to the sudden camera movements? Whatever it is, I imagine FOV must make it worse. Sorry to hear that, though, that must suck :/
Well, there goes my plans for a virtual reality setup. I dunno, it's the delayed effect when you move your character. Your brain expects instant motion the moment you press the keys, but sometimes the camera is too slow or will twist around, and that makes me incredibly dizzy. I finished Firewatch and it was great. Not a lot of action; just exploration and suspense.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Yes , people always influence by the reviews.They do not use their own intelligence to decide about what is good and interesting games they want.There are lots of individuals coming only to make money view youtube ,blog and other medium.They present catchy and tempting reviews about the game they intended to promote.And we fall prey to it.

Unfortunately a lot of people really don't use the intelligence that they have to make their own decisions and this is very worrying and I'm not just referring to that kind of decision, but to life as a whole. :unamused: