• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How do you choose your games?

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
There are millions of games that are available today. Taking into consideration the cost of games it is not possible for anyone to buy every game. A choice needs to be made and a limit has to be set somewhere.

Choosing a good game to buy among the various available options is a tough task. Friends, internet reviews and price play a great role determining the decision about what to buy.

What factors influence your decision in buying games?

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
I usually choose to try a game after I've seen at least one gameplay trailer/a friend highly recommended it/I've seen a youtuber playing it.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
Yes, I mostly go by recommendation. And today I look if the game has an online feature or co-op so I could play with friends, but it is not necessary. I look at the trailer and gameplay and I see if it look appealing, then I plan to buy it. Mostly the gameplay is what I want the most in a game.

Gladdy

Reaction score
The first thing that I look at before buying any game is what type is it. The genre of the game has to fit my likings - if it does not then there is no point to even consider buying it because I would get bored in few hours.

I always try to buy games that I know I can put many hours in and not just finish them in a single day. Another thing that, of course, plays a role is the price. I really dislike buying expensive games. I prefer waiting for sales or discounts then snatching the game that I like. I really could not afford paying 60 bucks for every single game.

Then there are the reviews. Sometimes I look at them, sometimes I don't. Reviews can be tricky and should not always be trusted. A lot of them are really, really subjective so be careful in believing in everything that you read.

luispas

Reaction score
For me, the recommendation of my friends it's very important, because we have similar tastes and of course they know me very well, that's a good start. Another thing would be: I don't like games with big maps, I rather the simple things, I want to know the characters and fall in love with at least one because it makes more anxious to play the game, for me, it's like choosing an anime :tearsofjoy:

Pixie06

Reaction score
It depends on the type of game. There are many occasions when I bought some games which I thought was interesting but then I was disappointed. If it is something that I am interested in that I try to read the reviews before buying the game. I also ask my friends for their opinions. I normally prefer fun games to difficult ones.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Well, a number of factors go into whether I'll buy a game or not. One of them is length, replayability, and the amount of DLC content. If I'm paying full price for a game, I want to get my money's worth. We're talking eight to twelve hours of gameplay at least, reasons to play it again after the first playthrough, and a proper amount of content at initial release rather than it being filled up by DLC later. There is also the uniqueness of the title. I'm much more likely to buy a game with new, interesting graphics, gameplay and an untold story rather than the 10th installment of what is pretty much the same game.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I think the biggest factors for me is the story, the gameplay, and the combat. I generally hate to play games with terrible combat, even if it has a good story. For me, combat helps me keep myself interested in the game, especially if it's an RPG game and I would have to grind to level up my skills. Gameplay is also important because I want to play a game that feels fresh, having no new ideas for a game is really a turn off for me as I think more creativity and thought should be put into something you're passionate about. And lastly, the story because a good story is what makes a game legendary.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
I buy games so seldom. I like to stick to things that are Free to Play or I can maybe pickup for really cheap at some point.

Usually take for example last game I got which was Civ V with all the DLC. I waited till it was cheap to get it, but it was still relevant to be played for the future. That is how you make it to where you will never spend a lot, but can still have fun.

For example the next Battlefront for Star Wars, if it is good, then I will wait maybe 4 months for it to be on sale during Christmas for lower price and then buy it up. But if it happens to not be good, I wouldn't have wasted my time playing it, nor the money for preorder.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
I usually choose to try a game after I've seen at least one gameplay trailer/a friend highly recommended it/I've seen a youtuber playing it.
Even I like to invest money in buying a game only after I have tried it practically. But this is not possible every time so I ho by YouTube videos and internet reviews.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
I buy games so seldom. I like to stick to things that are Free to Play or I can maybe pickup for really cheap at some point.

Usually take for example last game I got which was Civ V with all the DLC. I waited till it was cheap to get it, but it was still relevant to be played for the future. That is how you make it to where you will never spend a lot, but can still have fun.

For example the next Battlefront for Star Wars, if it is good, then I will wait maybe 4 months for it to be on sale during Christmas for lower price and then buy it up. But if it happens to not be good, I wouldn't have wasted my time playing it, nor the money for preorder.
I also wait for the sale period when big discounts come up. I always prefer to spend my money very wisely. Non discounted rates are pretty much and most of the times I cannot afford buying them.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
I also wait for the sale period when big discounts come up. I always prefer to spend my money very wisely. Non discounted rates are pretty much and most of the times I cannot afford buying them.

General fact that gaming should be based on fun instead of socio-economics is never included anymore in peoples decisions. I hate personally that money restricts me from what games I can buy, however though I think it is good as if something is that good then the money you pay for it will be well spent.

WarVet

Reaction score

Me too. I search for genres I know I enjoy like RPG, Action, Strategy, FPS and such. Once I find a potential game I'd like to buy I search for a gameplay of it in youtube, usually, i watch a few of them just to really get the hang of the game. After that I will consider price and how much I'm willing to spend atm. Should it all work then i will buy it.

thart

Reaction score
I simply follow my feelings. if i see a game and i like it then i will try it, i always focus on the graphics and the story.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I check reviews, but most of the time i just get what is popular.

StolenKid

Reaction score
First by watching trailers and gameplays, then reading the reviews and then try the demo if there is a demo available.

kenoobie

Reaction score
If the game has great multiplayer/coop then I would look at reviews and gameplay at youtube. But if I really want a game then I would just wait for a sale before picking the game up.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
Well, I like to download the demos before buying any game, if I like the demo, it will be a game that I should buy, also I like to see some gameplays to see if the game will like the games I like and if the gameplaying is a good one.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think first impression matters to me. If I don't like the game for the first hour, I'll refund it (Steam has a 2 hour period where you can ask for a refund). After that, it's all yours and you'll regret not refunding if you acted too late. That's it for me. The intro has to be attractive to new players. The sound, the gameplay, any bugs shouldn't matter when you are trying to sell your product. That's what I do in my case, at least.

SashaS

Reaction score
With Steam games, I usually browse around the store and find something interesting that I think I'd enjoy. I check that the price isn't ridiculous first, because there is no way I'm spending over $50 for a game. I can understand if you want to do that, but its not an amount of money I'd be willing to spend personally.

Then, of course, I read the description of the game and decide whether it has the features and mechanics that I'd be interested in trying out. System requirements is also a concern. Then I'd read some reviews on Steam and then get a professional opinion by visiting a review website like IGN or something. Then I'd check out some YouTube gameplay if I'm still not convinced. Then, I guess its time to buy.

Steam luckily does offer refunds so even after all that, if the game sucks, you can always get your money back.