• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Ever made your own game?

Scholarkin

Reaction score
I tried building a game online. Along the line I became frustrated and leave it.
Right now as I'm typing, I don't remember the core idea for the game I was creating then.Too bad!

Sino989

Reaction score
When I was about 15 or 16 I wanted to make a game just for the fun of it so I got gamemaker studio and I made some maze game, it was horrible, but it was a cool experience!

overcast

Reaction score
When I was about 15 or 16 I wanted to make a game just for the fun of it so I got gamemaker studio and I made some maze game, it was horrible, but it was a cool experience!
I agree in past game maker was not easy. Also the new game maker is also requires some level of understanding like rooms and the scripts. That's the only way one can make games. Also for android and iOS you have to learn how to compile the code. Not a lot of developers can do that effectively. In fact many game developers take time to learn that.

Zeyad

Reaction score
I've made a few mobile games over the years on the Blackberry 10 OS and Android. Very simple though nothing too complicated, however it was very enjoyful to make even if I didn't receive a lot of downloads.

DudeInCorner

Reaction score
In my very first programming class in high school, we had to make an app for a group of fifth graders in the elementary school across the yard. How it worked was I had been grouped with a student in a higher year of programming, and we were assigned a group of 5 fifth graders who would give us a rough idea of what they wanted their game to look like and it was our job to make it. As you can probably imagine, it was really hard to program the app for them as they had some pretty grand expectations. We also had the restriction that it had to be educational. In the end, we ended up creating Math Bombs, which was a very basic Megaman-themed math time trial. Suffice to say, it was not the best app on the play store hahah.

yunken

Reaction score
I have never try making my own game before cos I see it as a very difficult thing, which discourage me from given it a trial. But I hope one day I will make my own games

Truffle

Reaction score
I've made a game similar to FF, but it was garbage. I made it when I was like 11 or something and it didnt go well..

Gladdy

Reaction score
God, no. I wouldn't even dare to attempt. I don't have enough knowledge about making games or the software needed for the graphics aspect. I mean, I could try and learn while creating it but I can only imagine how long even a simple one takes... it isn't exactly an hour job. On top of the time-consuming aspect, you also have to have a vision in your head, an idea. You need to be creative. I rather focus on other things since trying to make a game doesn't seem productive for me :)

Fallenpyro418 (Sparks)

Community Supervisor
Community Supervisor
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you guys know i'm a sucessful producer of a series called Tentacles everywhere XX which has made me 38 million dollars in sales

That of course being on Game Dev Tycoon

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I have made my own game before and it was rather simple but robust. It involved throwing a ball around a screen into a pit for points with 10 levels where it got progressively harder. I was thinking of importing this code as an application based software for phones and making money out of ads but I am not sure as I haven't had the time lately.

yunken

Reaction score
God, no. I wouldn't even dare to attempt. I don't have enough knowledge about making games or the software needed for the graphics aspect. I mean, I could try and learn while creating it but I can only imagine how long even a simple one takes... it isn't exactly an hour job. On top of the time-consuming aspect, you also have to have a vision in your head, an idea. You need to be creative. I rather focus on other things since trying to make a game doesn't seem productive for me :)
Wow! we almost share the same thinking on game making, only the difference between us is I would love to be like them(programmers) one day and start making my own games

kgord

Reaction score
I haven't made a game I would have no idea how to go about it, however, my son is a professional coder and I am sure he would be interested in doing something like that. He has the skill to do it as well.

Hikin33t

Reaction score
I made a game with RPG Maker XP another lifetime ago. I should have finished it, really. I've always regretted not getting into amateur game development. I mean just look at Touhou. It was originally a super indie shooter made by one guy decades ago and blew up online.

I actually downloaded Unity the other day but I've been procrastinating installing it.

Just one, it was for a project at my college.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/joeboyferret/computer-test

Pretty basic and shitty, I know. :p

The premise is really interesting, though, and I would seriously play a more developed version of this game in order to learn how to take better care of my machine.

Last edited:

overcast

Reaction score
I've made a few mobile games over the years on the Blackberry 10 OS and Android. Very simple though nothing too complicated, however it was very enjoyful to make even if I didn't receive a lot of downloads.
Feel free to share the URL with me. I'd love to test them. I have not made any published on the Android market. So I would love to learn from your experience. That way I can decide what may or may not work for me. I can tell you that making such games on my own is one thing which I have to do till the publishing part at the app store.

goldlady

Reaction score
I have been a player since I was a kid... and I have to be honest, it crossed my mind several times LOL. I dreamed about making my own game where I knew all the tricks and stuff. I think I would make a game related to the medical world... being a Doctor can be understimated, sometimes it is like a extreme sport haha

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I know that with some coding i could do some simple games, and i even did it once on a website called Code.org. But it was a very ordinary 2D game ahah

overcast

Reaction score
I know that with some coding i could do some simple games, and i even did it once on a website called Code.org. But it was a very ordinary 2D game ahah
2D Games are not that bad. I'd definitely go for them too. Considering how the 2D games have their own benefits of the simple graphics. I prefer to make use of those. I think many javascript engines with 2D side is coming out. So that's one good thing to consider here. I'd say Android has plenty of people who are making 2D games.

sima061

Reaction score
No I haven't, I never really dedicated my time to that though I guess I could do it if I actually tried. I think it would be interesting and I'd have nice ideas... But to actually do any of the things I could think of for a game, I'd have to develop my skills and that itself would take some time and dedication that I currently just do not have. But thinking about it, I have to say I'd really love to make one, at least something simple for my own pleasure of making it.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Have you ever tried to make your own basic game using something like Scratch? I made some silly games using this program myself just to test a few things out for the experience. I'd love to see some of your creations if you have any.

I've tried coding a platformer engine before. I got as far as having variable speed running, acceleration and deceleration. But I ran into a problem I just cannot figure out where my character wont accelerate correctly when I jump left, but it does when I jump right. It's maddening. It turns out the coding for simpler games like Mario-styled platformers tends to be harder than for more "complex" games like RPGs.

luispas

Reaction score
Once, when I was little I wanted to create my own game with my friends, they were studying engineer and math and I love to make drawings so it's the perfect combination haha but sadly, my friends leave that university and started studying English, that right now it's only a dream for me, but I still have the faith that I'll be at least be part of a game.