• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Ever made your own game?

Alanmwp

Reaction score
Still to this day, I've been trying to make an RPG game from the RPG XP creator. The application is amazing. I'm not really well versed in coding and programming that requires one to really delve in and create a masterpiece, but it makes it simple to create a nice looking game at a minimal cost. The hardest part I think is the story line. As of now, I'm just letting the story lead me without any real direction. Personally my creative juices flow better this way. :)

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I made lot of small games when I was younger. I lost them all, but they wouldn't be good... remember, they were games made by a 10 years old kid.
I started when I found a free version of Klik'n'Play, basically the very first version of Multimedia Fusion. It was very basic and simple, expecially for a kid (I think it was mainly aimed to school, indeed). Then I tried its successor, The Game Factory, which was a little bit more powerful and still easy.
Years later I started using RPG maker to make some games for friends and family, never something serious. I still use it today to have some fun.
Recently I found TyranoBuilder, but it's mainly aimed to visual novel and I don't know enough to that genre to create something serious...

ulfhedin

Reaction score
My first game I created was in Furcadia. I created some simple graphics and some simple scripting. I got into Neverwinter Nights and created some games for my nephews to play in. I also created some mods with character levelers. At the moment, I am creating a side scroller in Disney Infinity, for my daughter.

Mattmattics

Reaction score
I've made a few games. Currently I'm working on a game similar to DayZ, but instead of zombies it's a different kind of threat, a much smarter threat.
That sounds interesting. Is this game online? Would you care to explain how you created smarter threats? I think it's so cool that people develop games in their spare time.

overcast

Reaction score
I use GameMaker's editor for 2D Games. So far the game mechanism is good. IDE looks good. Features for export to desktop and web are good too. It's just that you have to find some good options in case of the game options there. I am not sure how the Visual Studio and Unity combo can be useful but worth seeing that I guess. Have to try that.

DontTouchMe

Reaction score
My first game was something very stupid. It was made of a single JavaScript file and only that. The game was made fully of alert, confirmation, and prompt pop-up boxes. It was a survival game, where every day you could do something, like hunt, build or explore. The prompts had texts like "Input 1 to go hunting" or "Input 3 to eat food". I got it pretty far, but looking back it was horrible.

Ipa07

Reaction score
I never made my own game but I always wanted to know how. What is the best place to start creating games? And can someone give me some tutorial on how to make games?

Beautiful

Reaction score
Sure I have created many games before by using an app called Pocket Code. Pocket Code enables you to create your own animations, games, interactive music videos, and many kind of different apps, particularly on your phone or tablet!

Deen

Reaction score
Honestly I haven't made my own game yet. I have been reading on game development and saw that it is a multi-billion dollar industry. One can't just create hit game single-handedly. It involves tons of experts in different fields to put one up. But never say never. I am learning programming now and maybe one day, I can get to work with fellow developers on games.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
It's always been a dream of mine to start my own gaming company and create a game. But I think you would need more than one person for that task. Lots of things to consider as well, and most indie game developers more likely get bankrupt before they can even release the game, or they run out of ideas and would just leave the game to rot. Also, advertising seems to be a large factor when you are trying to get your game out there, and not many of us have the financial ability to leave ads on social media that would actually get people's attention.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
College project... Its ping pong and the game is... ping pong...

Bayoneutra

Reaction score
Okay time to reveal an old shame of mine, so don't laugh.

A bunch of years ago, I thought I was a groundbreaking genius in the gaming industry and made a "Visual Novel" using Ren'Py. It was meant to be a mystery game similar to Danganronpa but it was actually just rubbish. The art was awful and the plot was lame, but at least the coding was well-done and I finished it with the help of some friends that were enthusiastic about it. I'm not sure if it counts at making my own game since I did use Ren'Py for it, but I tried and I worked hard for it, though now it only exists as an old shame haha.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
Not really, but I had an idea to make one with my friends. It would have some fighter/rpg/moba elements in it, you could like, choose a map, and a character and spell kit, every character would have its own unique 3 or 4 spell kits and when the game begins you would fight 1 on 1 (I think) and you could pick some buffs on a map or something.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I have been trying, but I gave up on every project as I was working alone. The thing is, I like building maps, cities, what not and I like adding as many details as possible. Starting off with basic map, terrain, nature, rivers, rocks, moving to buildings, special structures and misc. items, it just takes too long for 1 person to make something. The projects I wanted to work on would be big ones, not small titles. That is the reason I eventually ended up giving up on most things I worked on.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I wanted to be a game designer when I was kid (honestly, who didn't?). I used to mess around with many different programs, especially Game Maker and Construct, and ultimately drop them all: I followed small tutorials and I still managed to get an insane amount of bugs. I still remember a sort of Pac-Man clone I made with Pokemon sprites (saved in .jpeg), and characters would get stuck at every other corner. Good times.
A couple of years ago I tried to pick game development up again, and I tried to go with Unity. I messed around with it for a couple of months and walked away. Guess I'll have to deal with my shattered childhood dreams :sob:

megaman93

Reaction score
I haven't made my own game. I've always been interested but I suppose I don't apply myself as much as I should of. Anyone have any suggestions for the best way to get started?

Ash

Reaction score
I have made a few games using Scratch because we had to use it in high school at around 13-14 years old. It's not that good to be honest but if you have no knowledge of coding or programming then it is good. Dragging and dropping the blocks make it so easy. And the fact it already has ready to use graphics for free is great.

I've come up with several different ideas for games that were going to be online games like Club Penguin. I came up with ideas when I was around 12ish but I never knew how to code back then or didn't know about scratch either. I think I still have some of my drawings for characters so might have to look at finding them and converting them so I can program something with them

Pixie06

Reaction score
No I have never tried to make my own game but I did assist my cousin when he was making some flash games. The games were not that bad I would say. We never tried to make any games after that. I would love to make a very good game one day. However, I don't have the skills required to do so.

ZXD22

Reaction score
Never really made my own game but I do have Articy Draft on my steam account so I could get into making an RPG of sorts at some point in the future. I think it would be pretty fun to put one together but I would need to learn a lot and see a couple of youtube videos to make it all worth together well.

overcast

Reaction score
I have game makers account and have the YoYoGames game maker downloaded. So it can be fun to have the editor such as this on my machine. i can tell you that it can be really good to make some games. Though I have not released anything as of yet. You just have to understand that unless you release something there is no experience so far.