• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you wait for discounts?

bored_1

Reaction score
Considering that I'm absolutely broke, I'd say I almost never pay full price for a game unless I'm forced to or my interest is really high.

If I'm really impatient I'll use G2A.com, but Steam sales are pretty big alot of the time.

jeffreyk

Reaction score
I almost always wait for discounts. I have a huge backlog of games so I'm not really in a rush to play the newest upcoming games. I just take my time playing older games. I tend to wait for good Steam sales and perhaps Game of the Year versions of games to get a good value.

SharaElyse

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever bought a game at full price. I am a thrifty person and that carries over to games as well. I usually try to stick wtih F2P games for the PC. But when I do want a game for a console I either borrow a game to see if I like it or I buy it pre-owned

laylay

Reaction score
Me and my boyfriend use steam. We always wait to buy games when they are discounted. I believe that when you acquire bills and have things you need to buy you have to distinguish what is more important. Therefore, paying forty dollars for a game is out of the question when we can just wait to buy it at a discounted price when it goes on sale. We waited a while to buy The Wolf Among Us at a discounted price. At first I did not want to give the game a chance, but it is literally one of the funnest games I have played.

lexinonomous

Reaction score
I was talking about this with a friend the other day. I usually stay away from any sort of presales. I never purchase a game on it's initial release date. I can't bring myself to pay full price, when I know the prices are going to drop within the coming months. I always wait for a game's price to drop. My favorite time of the year is when Steam goes through their Summer Sales. They always have a few big-name games for incredibly cheap.

AndroidOS

Reaction score
For most games, yes, I will wait for a bit until its in the sale. But for a few I will pre-order or buy on/near release - these are typically only once or twice a year things though.

DeFence

Reaction score
I'll always wait for discounts, or if I happen to really want a game badly, l'll see if I can find one for a cheaper price. I'm not overly eager to get my hands on the newest game, and I have tons of other games to spend my time on while I wait. More often than not, the money's tight, so I'll always go for price.

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
I guess it's not much to save 75% out of a 10-buck game but with games that are so much more expensive, even a slight discount can be substantial...While one could put aside a few bucks for a good game, some games are inapproachable.

cros1625

Reaction score
I try to limit myself to a couple full price ($60) games a year and those are for PS. On PC I usually only by if it's marked down or use a site like g2a.

AnonLu

Reaction score
Definitely. I have never bought a game for more than $45 in my life. Ever. That should probably change when No Man's Sky and Battlefield 1 release though :D

Casiox

Reaction score
Saving money is a big target in most people's life and waiting for a discount is surely something that would definitely be worth the wait.
I really consider the fact of buying things cheaper than the normal price, it's actually a good way to save up your money and somehow get that item/game/gadget or device that you've wanted to get since you started saving up the money for it, why would not you buy it if it's cheaper?! I definitely love discounts, I will not say that I buy everything that may be on discount but I mostly buy what I need, that's my opinion though.

rz3300

Reaction score
Well I am pretty good at being able to hold out for the cheaper price. I think that my overall nature of being cheap and saving money just does not allow me to always have the latest and the greatest right when they come out, which is fine with me. I usually am able to find someone who has it if I really feel the need to play, so that usually covers me. I would much rather wait and get a good deal.

fcuco

Reaction score
I don't. When a game is not interesting enough for me to buy it right away I simply try to buy it used. That's why I hate this trend from publishers and developers where they are trying everything in their power to kill the second hand market. I also never pre order, I think that's a huge waste of time, how can you possibly buy a game just because it was announced? To be the first to play? What if the thing is a big disappointment? I don't understand this mentality, I don't trust any company enough to trust them with my money for a game for which I don't even have a review or game footage.

Joel7050

Reaction score
I don't exactly "wait" for discounts. I tend to buy games when they have good discounts, and appeal to what I like. Normally, i buy one or two games and just stick to them. I would buy these games even if they are not on sale. Then I'll just stick to these games. When a sale comes out, I go ahead and check it out. If there are interesting games for a good price, then I add it to my collection and play it along with my other games. This way, i always have some games I truly want to play, and a few interesting games to switch between.

Shiori

Reaction score
I always try to wait for discounts on games that I'm really interested in. Thankfully most of my interests are geared towards older titles that I wasn't able to purchase at the time of release. I rarely browse the Steam store unless I saw that there were temporarily discounted items or there was seasonal sales. I think I've only once purchased a full-priced game, Stardew Valley. I'm too impatient to wait for a discount (which would probably take months at least since it's hugely popular, not too mention the peer pressure because my friends have all started to play and it was all my group would talk about at the time.

SirJoe

Reaction score
Normally I'm playing another game when ever the next game I want to get comes out. Civilizations VI is going to come out soon but I am still playing Civilizations V and I doubt I will be through with it when Civilizations VI comes out so I probably buy with a discount. It's still the same game whether you pay full price or buy it with a discount.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
It all depends on how badly I want the game and how new it is, say it's something like an Assassin's Creed game, I'll buy it straight away, any other games I'm not too bothered about I'll wait for discounts or purchase it second hand!

I'm pretty much the same way. Unless it's a gaming title I've been thoroughly waiting for over the past several months, then yes, I'll buy the new copy full price. Otherwise, I'll wait to get a discount, which usually doesn't take long because people are always returning games anyway. This method applies to physical gaming stores like GameStop. When it comes to places like Steam, I wait for the holidays to get special discount deals on games I want.

Zyni

Reaction score
For console games, it depends on how excited we are for a game. We've bought a few upon release. We've also picked up some used ones along the way. We bought the kids a few too.

As for World of Warcraft, which I really used to be into, we used to be some of the first to log on for a new expac. Now, I wait. In fact, they have given out the last couple free toward the end, right before releasing the next one. I might as well wait these days. I don't play competitively (or much at all for that matter), since they've basically made it unrecognizable as compared to the "good old days."

Gladdy

Reaction score
In the majority of cases, yes, I do wait for discounts since the game prices are absolutely ridiculous right now. There's no way that I'm paying 60-70$ for a new game when I can get it in few weeks for half that price. Sometimes it's very hard to force myself to wait because I'd really love to play and try the new games out right at the launch but I think it's wiser to wait a bit and save the money. Self-discipline :p

The only games that I do buy at launch are the multiplayer focused ones. I feel like if you wait with those you can get bit ''behind'' with levels or gear and so on. I prefer to just get them, especially if I know that I will put a lot of my time into the game.

zanderlex

Reaction score
If it's one of those games I know I really really want, or if it's a mainstream Nintendo game (Those never drop) I'll buy it at full price. Other wise I wait a year or two until they're super cheap.