• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you wait for discounts?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Barry Schwartz calls this the paradox of choice. The more options you have the less you tend to take advantage of it. It leads to a sort of paralysis where you get stuck in the act of choosing and never get the the thing you've chosen. Emulators were like that for me. I have full sets for the old 8 and 16bit consoles of my youth. I figured it would be great to have so I can let my old hardware enjoy a comfortable retirement. But I found every time I sat down to play them I spent an inordinate amount of time in the menu searching for something to play from literally thousands of titles. Even stranger was that even when I did finally settle on a choice, if I died a few times I was right back in that menu. I'd never had more games and yet played so little.
Yeah. The idea of buying games in bundles to save money is appealing, but at the end of the day you're not really gonna play 90% of the games you got. You'll just play the game you're most interested in, the reason you bought the bundle. Everything else is filler, and the game devs of those titles cash in on that by piggybacking on a bigger title, since the players won't play their games but would still get a percentage of the profit.

Sino989

Reaction score
I would say that I wait for a discount if it's a game that I don't want super badly. Other games that I'm really into, such as call of duty, I usually don't wait for a discount because it's game I enjoy.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Yeah. The idea of buying games in bundles to save money is appealing, but at the end of the day you're not really gonna play 90% of the games you got. You'll just play the game you're most interested in, the reason you bought the bundle. Everything else is filler, and the game devs of those titles cash in on that by piggybacking on a bigger title, since the players won't play their games but would still get a percentage of the profit.

I'm generally okay with the finances behind all of that. Especially when it comes to getting the little guy's game out there to the public, I'm very happy to support any mechanism that promotes a more level playing field between the mega-publishers like EA, and the indy developers of the world. But I do agree that many of these Humble bundle deals are just sort of cynically stuffed with software that is essentially unsalable. In the worst of times you'll end up with something that could almost be a freemium Android game. It's that kind of behavior that turns people off from new, experimental business models in the first place.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I'm generally okay with the finances behind all of that. Especially when it comes to getting the little guy's game out there to the public, I'm very happy to support any mechanism that promotes a more level playing field between the mega-publishers like EA, and the indy developers of the world. But I do agree that many of these Humble bundle deals are just sort of cynically stuffed with software that is essentially unsalable. In the worst of times you'll end up with something that could almost be a freemium Android game. It's that kind of behavior that turns people off from new, experimental business models in the first place.
Exactly. That's why I just get what I want. The idea of getting a bunch of games is great, but if I won't play most of them, what's the point? It's a lot easier that way and I really think the idea of bundles is great for indie devs, but I really don't want to play a game that I don't do research on. Most of them are just mini games that have a price, and I'd rather not bite. The good indie games rise to the top though through gamers approving and recommending them, so that's when I get the game. Not when it's in a bundle.

goldlady

Reaction score
Oh well... it depends on SO many different factors! If it is a game I have been waiting for so long and I can pay for it I do not care... I pre-order and pay the full price. If it is a game I want but not so much I wait for the discount even if I have the money.

Strelitzia

Reaction score
Discounts is the only way in my books. Work has me hopping around too much so to drop full price on something I won't touch for months or years depending because of my whacked scheduling- it's just a waste of money. The only exceptions is if it's something I really really want to collect and that's it.

mcbryan

Reaction score
Absolutely I do wait for a sale or to have a discount. Aside from you can save money it also gives you the opportunity to buy another game it's like hitting two birds with one stone. There's nothing bad in waiting for a discount before you buy the game if you're patient and have not much of savings it's just normal. It won't change the fact that we are a game lover so waiting for a discount is a good choice.

kenoobie

Reaction score
Absolutely I do wait for a sale or to have a discount. Aside from you can save money it also gives you the opportunity to buy another game it's like hitting two birds with one stone. There's nothing bad in waiting for a discount before you buy the game if you're patient and have not much of savings it's just normal. It won't change the fact that we are a game lover so waiting for a discount is a good choice.
This is true! having Patience is the key here. There are games that I can't absolutely wait to get my hands on but I know that the next discount might just be around the corner so I usually convince myself that there is a perfect time to get this game and just wait.

gamergal

Reaction score
Nah... I don't wait for discounts. I like to be the one to first play a game and tell them about it to my friends. If I'm on low budget then I cut down on my game purchase and go for only that games or game which are most anticipated and promising. They don't have to be suggested by anyone. I just sniff them out when buying.:tongueclosed:

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Unless the preorder bundle includes tangible goodies of some sort, I do not preorder. I do not wait for sale though and it was not wise for me. I could have saved a total of a hundred dollars if I waited for the games I wanted to be on sale but it could have been months of wait. What I thought is that if I waited too long I might lose interest in the game that even acquiring it at five dollars would not make it worth. That is just what I thought and I surely am a fool to believe that. Nowadays, one has to be practical and patient so I wait for games to be on sale first.