• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you wait for discounts?

pwarbi

Reaction score
A lot depends on the game for me aswell, I'm an avid fan if FIFA so I always buy that on the day of release, and I did with GTA V also, but the rest I usually wait till the price drops before I buy a game.

The price of games these days is getting a little ridiculous now though in my opinion, especially if your buying from the online stores.

Xanthosh

Reaction score
Lively discussion here. Let me join in, too.

Yup, I wait for discounts. Lover of games, that I am, still, it's healthy for my wallet to wait for discounts, and special offers, so I can maximum amount of DLC's and offers for the minimum price. As a student, and a human, with a limited capital, that's the best way to go, I suppose.

Survival of the wisest in spending money, in the gaming world. That's why I'm waiting for Christmas to buy my PS4 at a discount.

RivaCom

Reaction score
I think for me, Personally it's 95% of any type of single player game, I'm waiting for at least 50-75% off. Then they sit in my backlog forever. Most full price games tend to be related to multiplayer or new MMO type games. Games that are rarely discounted that much.

pwarbi

Reaction score
When it comes to games for the next gen consoles, I often find it's quite difficult to find discounted games anyway. On the PlayStation store for example you'll get the odd one or two that have been price cut but more often than not your still looking at paying full price on there for games that have been out for quite a while.

RivaCom

Reaction score
When it comes to games for the next gen consoles, I often find it's quite difficult to find discounted games anyway. On the PlayStation store for example you'll get the odd one or two that have been price cut but more often than not your still looking at paying full price on there for games that have been out for quite a while.

Are you in the US? If so there are plenty of ways to get console games below MSRP. When BF4 came out , I picked up two copies for 26 dollars out the door. When Xbox 1 came out, we upgraded those to the new version via Amazon for a whopping 10 bucks. Total for 2 copies of the game for xbox one? 24 dollars each. 36 dollars under MSRP.

deadbroke

Reaction score
It really depends on the game I've chosen to buy actually. If it's a game that fits my needs of entertainment and fun then I wold probably stick with the fact of buying the game at the day one. Otherwise if the game looks like creepy or if I feel like the game is not worth the price they ask for buying on the day one I'll just wait some free weekend game time or some "serious" discounts.

burtpovski

Reaction score
I'm always waiting for discounts! Especially for games on Steam, I find that it's best to wait until sales before I purchase the game. A lot of the new games are up to $70, which is insane! I prefer to buy games when they're at least 50% off.

shadowsupernature

Reaction score
I won't even lie. I have been almost religiously looking for discounts over the past say 10 years.

I have a job and all that. But reality is other things need to be paid for before games. I even wait for some games that I "know" will end up in the bargain bin and buy them then. UNLESS of course it's a game I really REALLY want.

Obi

Reaction score
I usually like to wait until a game is preowned before I buy it. I don't mind waiting because there's always something else I can play, but it sucks that the preowned games where I live often cost only a few pounds less than new!

Bristlefi

Reaction score
Definitely. I almost never buy games on release knowing they'd drop in price one day. Unless it's a game I truly craved deeply, like the Witcher 3. Other than that though, I just wait for the sales. I bought a lot of games on the steam summer sale last month. I also use this site called Humble Bundle which collects money for charity through video game deals. It has great deals sometimes too. Sometimes you can find games worth over $100 in total and they'd give them to you by 'beating the average'. Usually the average is $5, so think about how much your saving here, it's an awesome site.

Lohengrin

Reaction score
Sometimes I will wait or until I can find the game used for cheap months down the road.

Catactus

Reaction score
Depends on the game. Games like Batman and Battlefield I buy when they come. Then there are games that aren't something I'm full prize excited for :D So I wait for discounts. Usually I buy my games so that I pay a little bit for it every month. Like I pay 15€ for 4-5 months and then I've payed for the entire game.

syaota

Reaction score
I wait until they're much cheaper, unless I'm obsessed with the series or game already and feel like I must have it. Then in that case I'll pre-order. I also like to hear people's reviews and see more gameplay before getting one.

Calcified

Reaction score
To be honest, I've never bought a game at full price. I always thought that the $59 price tag was a bit too ridiculous for me. Yes, I'm a cheapo-type of gamer. I tend to stir away from titles that have just released, although if it's a game that I'm fond of, sometimes I just can't help it and check if there's some sort of pre-order sale and if there is, then those are the only times that I purchase a game that was just released. Otherwise, no, cause I always end up thinking that I might spend $50 and not even enjoy the game. :confused:

Patrick

Reaction score
To be honest, I've never bought a game at full price. I always thought that the $59 price tag was a bit too ridiculous for me. Yes, I'm a cheapo-type of gamer. I tend to stir away from titles that have just released, although if it's a game that I'm fond of, sometimes I just can't help it and check if there's some sort of pre-order sale and if there is, then those are the only times that I purchase a game that was just released. Otherwise, no, cause I always end up thinking that I might spend $50 and not even enjoy the game. :confused:
I agree the $60 thing always stirred me the wrong way. There are very few games that I'd buy at full price (TW3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, etc.). Most of them are just not that appealing to me, or aren't worth $60. I'll either wait until the price drops or it goes on sale, or just buy the key from someone at a much cheaper price.

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
Just buy the key from someone at a much cheaper price.

You can usually get a freshly released game $5-10 cheaper on those grey market key seller sites. Fallout 4 pre-orders are $8+ cheaper on some of these sites. I imagine some illegal shit happened for that to be possible, but if you want to save a couple bucks grey market key sellers are awesome xD

BulletBiter

Reaction score
Always. It's a good idea to wait a while to see if a game goes on sale, unless that means waiting a month or two. Usually I follow the trend of not buying any games until massive sales (I.E: Xmas, Summer Sale, etc) go off. I know it sounds very restrictive, but unless you have money flooding out of your pockets, it's never a good idea to buy stuff on first sight. This also gave me extra time for more reviews to pop up before I made my final purchase, until Steam refunds became a thing.

guruproto

Reaction score
I definitely wait for a discount before I purchase the game. The only exceptions to this rule is if they have unique prizes or rewards for players who buy it immediately, such as the Halo beta that came packaged with Crackdown (underrated game by the way, if anyone wants to try it). Even if it's a game that I've waited months to be released, I'll still hold my breath a little longer until it becomes pre-owned at Gamestop for a cheaper price. My reasoning is that you'll still get the same enjoyment from the game whether you buy it at full retail or when its price drops a bit.

Anju

Reaction score
I find myself to be stingy whenever i try to buy something. If I consider something I have to wait about a week or so before I make my final decision, so when it comes to normal costs of a game I tend to avoid buying them. If its on sale and I have spare cash I might go for it, depends on the game itself and whether or not I like the series or videos ive seen thus far.
Only time i'm willing to pay full price is if it's a game or series that I really love, like when Skyrim came out on my birthday.

Honeymoon

Reaction score
Absolutely. I honestly can't imagine paying some games in full price. I'm not from the US, and since the games are usually priced in US Dollars, when it's converted to my currency it's just.. incredibly overpriced. $50 might seem like a normal, acceptable price to Americans, but with that amount of money I could literally buy a plane ticket.. and still be able to pay for the hotel. And I'd probably still have some money left for food. That's how overpriced most games are in my currency. Thankfully though, companies like Steam exists. The prices are somewhat adjusted to our currency so the prices are generally much, much more affordable. Still very expensive, but that's what the discounts are for. They knock the prices even further down into my range.