• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you consider mobile games to be "gaming?"

dbwv

Reaction score
Yes, i think it is the same as Any platform, but it depends on the games you play to consider yourself a "gamer." Now, mobile is getting more and more ports from consoles and they are getting better all the time. There are actually console games that you can play on mobile now, so it can definitely be considered "gaming" like anything else.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
In my opinion, it's still gaming, and yes, you can call yourself a gamer, no matter what platform you use. Even if it's Candy Crush or something like Maffia Wars, they are still games, the big difference is the platform. Sure, it's not like playing Fallout 4, for example. A mobile gamer is a different type of gamer, but they can still use this term to describe themselves.

EJ Burg

Reaction score
Yes I do see mobile gaming as real gaming since smartphones came out. With everything to design to the overall high quality of mobile games these day I would say they compare very well to all other consoles (if sometimes not even better)

lordrenly

Reaction score
I don't. Most of the mobile games are casual gaming and I don't count casual gaming as real gaming. The same thing can be said to casual console games as well. I think the only exception of mobile games that I can consider gaming is if you can play it with your friends simultaneously and it becomes social gaming and some of those social games are complex enough to be considered not casual.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
I consider Mobile games as gaming. Since they are games, even though there are a lot of casual games on mobile, it's still considered as gaming, it's more of a relaxed gaming for me. There's also a lot of strategy games on mobile like Clash Of Clans, Summoner's War, Mobile Legends, etc. Which can be considered as gaming.

overcast

Reaction score
I do think for some games it can be called gaming. But for some casual games, it may not be called as hardcore gaming. For example, angry birds and few platform scolling shooter games can't be the games being called as "gaming apps". So this is just casual platform. And real gaming happens on PC and Console. That's my opinion.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I wouldn't call that "gaming", more like time killers. They are trying to make now some rpg mobile games and shooters or racing games, but it can't be like the PC ones or the console. Looks to me like it's a "casual" thing, more like when you are traveling and have nothing else to do, you will take out your phone and play through some indie games to pass your time. At least I see it that way.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Yes I do, the sad thing however is the fact that I think a lot of mobile game developers are just trying to cash in money as fast as they can, developing uninspired pay-to-win ripoffs of bigger games. This might be due to the fact that most of the mobile gaming audience are just casual gamers. The lack of a unique gameplay and decent storyline is not uncommon in mobile gaming, there's a few hits here and there, but they usually get ripped off by another developer around a month or two.

Pixie06

Reaction score
The mobile games that I am playing now won't be considered as gaming. The games I play on my mobile are Candy Crush and Criminal Case. But I think there are other games like Infinity Blade II and Grand Theft Auto :Vice City which can be played on the mobile phone and can be considered as gaming.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I think that we cannot say that they are not playing, it is gamming because those are games and we can play it too, just because it is not in a PC or in a console it does not change the fact that it is a game and if someone is playing it is gamming! It is like if you do not read from a book it is not reading lol.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I think the term "gamer" has to do with how much time you invest playing games and the ammount of games you've played in your life. I know some people that would call themselves gamers because they played a lot of Counter Strike, but you would ask them about Half-Life 2 and they wouldn't know a thing about it... some "gamers" they were...

Just gonna point this out :)

I don't see while mobile games wouldn't be considered as gaming. In fact with every new smartphone that comes out, graphics get better, there is more to do. It is not the same as playing the game on PC or a console, but it is still a nice way to game. You could lie down on the couch and relax while having a blast. The game does not even have to be something special. I recently came along with really minimalistic survival game which was basically clicking and ordering your character what to do. And it turned out to be one of the hardest games I have played in general in last few months. It was quite addictive, too.

Javo1096

Reaction score
I actually do because there are many games on mobile platform only that already have a competitive scene such as Clash Royale, while the game has difficulty and gives you the option to play against others to see who's better I think no matter the device you're using that would be considered "gaming".

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Yes of course. It a game played in a different media. Mobile games are no different with PSP, gameboy ang game and watch.

Cendrillon

Reaction score
In my humble opinion, they do count.
Maybe not to the same extremes, but if you have fun and dedicate some of your time to them, then it does count as gaming!
I'm pretty sure almost everyone has at least a mobile game or two that they check almost all the time, don't they? At least I know I do, great way to fight stress during work hours, and ultimately that's what games are for.

valy

Reaction score
I do consider that mobile games to be "gaming" because you play the games, have fun, pass the levels, try new adventures and all the rest. Just because you don't stay in the front of your PC and not sit on the leather chair it doesn't mean you are not playing a game if you use your smartphone in the subway, train or bus.

Ferns

Reaction score
With the developments in apps in recent years, the difference between traditional console games and mobile games are getting blurred all the time. Its hard to define what gaming is and what is not, since there are too many overlapping areas. I suppose after a few years maybe we can play full blown console titles on mobile devices, its heading in this direction more than ever as we speak. So in short, yes.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Technically they are games. They have shorter lifespans and you can play a round in 5 minutes, but they're still games. I don't mind, but if you pay real money to get an advantage on a mobile game, that's where my problem is. You're paying real money on a free game just so you can get a higher score. For what? To brag to your friends you have a high score in Candy Crush after you paid them $20? No thanks.

Gladdy

Reaction score
No, I don't see mobile games as "gaming". They are just completely different to any computer game or console ones. Perhaps it is just my completely subjective interpretation but I never saw somebody that plays Candy Crush only as a gamer. I consider mobile games more of a casual type of games - the games that you play when you have nothing else to do. Time filler games.

Computer and console games are still a mile ahead of any phone game and I think that is probably why I see them differently. The only game that I would consider fitting into the "gaming" category would maybe be games like Vainglory and such. They already have their own Esports tournament and so on. Maybe I will change my mind in the future.

luispas

Reaction score
I think they are gaming, but the term is a little more soft on my opinion. What I can say is that you can't be a gamer just by playing in one console (for me of course) you need to play a little bit of everything at least one time.

Okaviator

Reaction score
I would definitely say yes. Not only has Esports been added to the mobile gaming atmosphere for games like World Of Tanks Blitz and Vainglory, but they have also been getting more and more advanced.