• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you consider mobile games to be "gaming?"

overcast

Reaction score
It's largely dependent on the mobile platform to be honest. A ping pong game on Nokia 3500 can hardly be classified as a game. Where's advanced games like say for instance Samsung Galaxy 6 edge, now those can be considered as a real game. A game of solitaire on a tiny Alcatel phone can also hardly be classified as gaming.
I think mobile market being fragmented and lot of them are not designed with gaming CPU in mind. I am sure that is something that stopping people from getting into mobile gaming. And to be honest the market is not that large either. I am thinking that it's not the mobile manufacturers issue that bothers me the most.

sima061

Reaction score
Depends on the actual game. For some of them, sure. It's not the same experience, but I don't think we can exclude it from the definition lol. They're still games and some of them can be pretty good and require some skills or strategies. But for simple, time killing games, I don't think so.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I don't think gaming is limited to PC or consoles, as long as one is able to play video games on phone I would say that is gaming. I think it is pretty bias to think that hardcore gaming is only exclusive to PC or console players when in fact mobile gamers do spend time and get addicted to playing mobile games.

fishmonk

Reaction score
Mobile game is definitely 'gaming' . It just depends on the limitation of the hardware. If we can call board games and D&D games as games, I'm sure that mobile games do qualify as games too.

overcast

Reaction score
Depends on the actual game. For some of them, sure. It's not the same experience, but I don't think we can exclude it from the definition lol. They're still games and some of them can be pretty good and require some skills or strategies. But for simple, time killing games, I don't think so.
I think games such as those car racing and the Injustice type of games. Those games offer console or PC level gameplay to the tablets. As of now a lot of those games have not shown the potential. And it does make you want to consider how long those games can make a difference in terms of the specs. So I think not all games qualify.

sima061

Reaction score
Well, those games sure, why not. It's different than on a console or PC, but it's still a game and some of them of course can be high quality. What I have in mind as something that doesn't qualify are games like for example Flappy Bird (that I loved...) or something like that.

Yukibana

Reaction score
I don't see why not, a game is a game no matter what platform it's on. In-app purchases are totally valid things, and are a (frighteningly, I should add) effective avenue to monetize an otherwise free game. A smartphone is practically a computer anyway these days, with processing power increasing as it is. Mobile games shouldn't be delegitimized by virtue of being on a phone.

DAVID EJIKE

Reaction score
I see it as an alternative platform where someone can catch up with the fun and excitement of playing a video game. Beyond reasonable doubt mobile gamers equate themselves to real gamers who play on PC or consoles. Once the fantasy and satisfaction is derived what else? no difference at all.

appleandcinnamon

Reaction score
Well, casual gaming is still gaming, no? Most of the world's gamers are casual gamers. Not sure if it's a good thing, but most casual gamers seem to be women...

Haristar

Reaction score
I think it differs with person to person and their interests. To me playing games in a mobile is also called gaming but the term best suits if you are playing some strategical games. But my friends playing candy crush saga will always use the term gaming. So see it depends on the person's view. :)

Yiskah

Reaction score
In my book I say yes! I know some mock any of us who game mobility but I think a game is a game. there are gamers who play card games and board games as well! I would also say that playing games like solitaire and freecell that are usually on all PC's as gaming. Some people even make there own games. We all are happy gamers! :)

overcast

Reaction score
I think it differs with person to person and their interests. To me playing games in a mobile is also called gaming but the term best suits if you are playing some strategical games. But my friends playing candy crush saga will always use the term gaming. So see it depends on the person's view. :)
True a lot of those games won't be big. And those games won't be needing too much RAM. So it all comes down to how much we can play with the device. I guess it also depends on the type of the mobile games that you have in there. You may not find much value out of it. So depending on how you manage you have to think about it.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
I consider mobile gaming a type of gaming. It has its own lane and market within the app development world. Do I personally like mobile gaming? Not really anymore, to be honest. To begin, mobile gaming doesn't keep me occupied for long periods of time. So I usually end up downloading multiple games at once, cramming my phone with pointless games. Slowing down the speed of my phone. It's not worth it considering I'll uninstall the app within a week or so. Like I've mentioned before also, the quality of mobile gaming has degraded in general. Or let me say, it's not where it could be. A prime example is racing games on Android. Basically the same tilt arcade game concept. Nothing new or exciting.

ballyhara

Reaction score
by definition games could be as simple as poking your brother with a stick till he punches you or as complex as that brand new ps4 game so yes I'd have to say mobile games are games.
Same here, a game is a game wherever you find it. For people like me, with not time enough to sit in front of a PC or a console, mobile games still get my attention, effort, and time like any other game.

lindbergh

Reaction score
If it's a game like Farmville or Candy Crush, I don't consider that to be gaming at all. However, games that require a bit more strategy and attention like CS: Portable, I'd consider gaming.
Dude, gaming encompasses a lot of different genres. Candy Crush is part of the puzzle game genre, so it's considered as gaming. You have Tetris games on consoles which is just like Candy Crush. Don't you consider that having gaming as well?

A game is not considered a game because of its simplicity or complexity. As long as you can interact with it and you can influence something in it, you can consider it as a game.

A lot of people are playing Candy Crush. I don't, but I know a lot of people who do. And they actually enjoy it. It's gaming bro.

augusta

Reaction score
Games are what they're games being it simple or complex.So where do we place mobile games like temple run or even candy crush.Not only games that needs intellect and strategies that should be classified as games