• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you consider mobile games to be "gaming?"

Atlas_Hope

Reaction score
I think someone who exclusively plays Candy Crush and Angry Birds isn't a gamer, more just a casual fan of something easy to get into, but all games whether mobile exclusive or on consoles and PC are all games. There are some really fantastic and creative mobile games, and I think not wanting to classify them as legitimate due to the highly popular casual games is unfair.

Mackmax

Reaction score
Since most popular mobile games are ridiculously simple and are only played when the mobile user is bored, I don't think the person is to be considered a "gamer".
You're not a gamer just because you play Candy Crush on your phone when your train is running late, lol. Especially since you rarely play the game, and delete it after a week. There are some really great-quality mobile games that have a storyline and conflict and require skill and thought, so if you play games like those, I'd consider you a gamer. But since most people don't even know mobile games like this exist, I don't consider many of them to be gamers.

d4rk3n

Reaction score
I would say that mobile gaming can be considered casual gaming. Nothing more. Even if you put 8+ hours a day into a mobile game, it will still be considered casual. I define Hardcore gaming as something with which you can earn, either via competitive play or through streams, etc.

RobertNick

Reaction score
As long as you enjoy it, gaming is gaming, the platform doesn't matter, just how immersive it feels.

Nero

Reaction score
By the official definition it would be. By my definition I would say no. I mean unless you guys can find a fun game on there that wasn't a port from a console there really isn't any fun games on the android phones.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
I say sure why not? Depending on the game.
Gaming back when I was a kid was with GameBoys and such. Just think of this as a much better upgraded "mobile" version of gaming. There are lots of games for mobile devices that could be considered gaming.

globulon

Reaction score
Yes, why not? I get tons of entertainment from mobile games, almost as much as I do from PC games. They may not be as complex, but often they are just as fun if you want a quick break!

Jordan brings up a great point too. I've owned tons of gameboy games and current mobile games can be considered the gameboy's successors.

MHFU

Reaction score
Mobile gaming is gaming.
If you play games on your phone, you are a gamer.
The term gamer means somebody who plays games.
There are a lot of games on iOS and Android that are console quality,
For example, Biodhock was released on iOS.
Modern Combat 5 is pretty much Battlefield for iOS.
Mobile gaming can even be more fun than console or pc.
Another game is Nova 3. It is Halo for mobile.
Order and chaos online, one of my favorites, is like World Of Warcraft. It is fun to play on mobile.

lgdg090596

Reaction score
I would say yes, as well. As long as you're playing competitively, you're a gamer on my list.

Martin

Reaction score
Depends what game it is personally, if its something like 94% then I would say that's not 'gaming' but some mobile games are more like proper games. I would say though that its not an element of gaming that has ever interested me.

Michael

Reaction score
Yes, because they are called Mobile Games for reason. Some of the games aren't really games but you know...

jteezymob

Reaction score
Me, personally, no. I only say that, because you don't play the games on your phone as much as you would on PS or XBox. I've recently purchased NBA Jam and GTA: San Andreas for Android, and I only played them after I bought them. Now, if I'm playing any of them, I have to be extremely bored. If I'm playing on a console, I'm all in!

Razorwind

Reaction score
I think its just elitist to call playing on mobile phones as "not gaming". Sure, most mobile games are very casual, but there are some people who spend a lot of time on them and get reall really good, just like more, "advanced" gamers. That being said of course, there are people I've come across who describe themeselves as "hardcore gamers" and go around talking about how cool their "gaming" world is and they just play mobile games, and I find that really irritating.
But in the end, I think this topic will be a debate for just around 5-10 more years. More and more PS4, PS3, and PC games are getting their android/iOS versions too and I think playing those is just as acceptable as playing them on a console or PC. For example, Mortal Kombat X is out on Android for free, and has almost the same features as that on PC or console, so I thought it was a far better option than having to pay for it, plus it is handy too, you can play even on buses and the subway.

kjonesm1

Reaction score
I love playing games on my mobile phone, but I don't consider it "gaming". As a matter of fact based on the types of games I play I don't even know if I'm considered a gamer at all. I have a laptop, PS4 and a Wii and mostly play the Sims. Though I have gone off on a tangent, the point is, no I don't consider playing on a cell phone 'gaming'.

pwarbi

Reaction score
I don't really play games on my phone or tablet or anything like that but I know a lot of people that do. Is it classed as gaming? I'd be inclined to say no because half the games they're playing aren't really games at all, they're just things to do to pass the time, rather than be an actual game that you get caught up and lose yourself in.

ProNine

Reaction score
Each game on the appstore is different. In my opinion, if the game has some difficulty to it and requires thinking in order to solve the game, along with competing with others, then yes, it's a game.

xpictoc

Reaction score
I would categorize most mobile games as "casual", with wide audiences who rarely play games but enjoy mobile game x or y. There are definitely games catered to the needs of hardcore gamers such as Out There, my favorite roguelike game for smartphone or tablet. Yes, I would say mobile games are real 'games'.

Kaitara

Reaction score
Anything that's a game is a game. This haughty elitist "no it's not a game because it's short / you can play during bite-sized chunks of time" attitude is really destructive to the idea of games as an art form. It's true that mobile gaming may not be as hardcore or in-depth as something you'd see on a console or a big name PC game, but it doesn't have to be like that to be a good or fun game. Think about where gaming started - board games, adventure games, dice games. Sometimes those games were played in bite-sized chunks. It only takes a short time to play a round of gambling dice (just long enough to throw the dice!), and that's considered a "game" as well. The contempt for casual gaming is something I've always scratched my head about.

I guess you can compare it to people who like dogs - some people don't consider terriers and other small dogs "real" dogs, but you can't deny that even small dogs are part of the domestic canine family. A large dog may not suit everyone's needs, and some people only enjoy owning small dogs. :p

lexinonomous

Reaction score
I guess I could consider that gaming. It's really hard for me to consider mobile games video games, but they technically are. Everyone has their own interests, so why not? They might not be as entertaining, but sometimes all you have is a mobile game in hand.