• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Difficulty or Fun?

jitendra0341

Reaction score
True. You have fun early on, but as soon as you start doing the side quests as well as just exploring, you'll soon find yourself overleveled for the main quest, which you conveniently skipped because you wanted to explore a bit. That's when I up the difficulty setting. If it still feels too easy because I already got my items as well as having a high level and stats, then I'll keep pushing it until I reach the max difficulty. Then, I'll continue playing.
yes, true to your word. It happens with me also. I too get bored when I reach some level that actually over levelled. I try to find some more difficulties in that game. When all difficulties get over, I switch over to next game. Here I try to choose different difficulty level from easy to medium and hard. Then the play start as ever.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
yes, true to your word. It happens with me also. I too get bored when I reach some level that actually over levelled. I try to find some more difficulties in that game. When all difficulties get over, I switch over to next game. Here I try to choose different difficulty level from easy to medium and hard. Then the play start as ever.
When you get all the high level skills and you don't have to watch out for your health anymore, either because your stats are so high that low level enemies can't harm you, or your armor is too good that any attack will just leave 1 damage, it's hard to feel like you care enough to dodge or sneak around. You'll just show up in the enemy's lair, sword out, then kill them all without blocking, sneaking, or dodging. Too easy. When you become like a tank in any game it's hard to follow the fundamentals that you had to learn while in tutorial area because you didn't have the skills or armor to help you.

Deathisue

Reaction score
When I was younger I played games just for fun or because I had pretty colors or simply because I was a child, now I play the games for their terrible difficulty and for the comforting that is to overcome some games like Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon etc, right now I prefer more the difficulty than the fun.

binaryteck

Reaction score
For me, i play these games on one hand because of the difficulty...it's a thriller for my finding out knotty issues and resolving them and on the second hand, for the sheer fun it offers

mcbryan

Reaction score
For me, the difficulty is the best. You can't really feel the challenge and eagerness to finish every stage or session if you only go with fun gaming. I always accept challenges especially when other people judging me easily without letting me finish the game. It makes me strong and persuasive to finish what I started and I never fail so far. The feeling is unexplainable and that's the amazing part for difficulty level.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I always play for the fun of it and put games on the lowest difficulty. My personal opinion wanting to bang my head off the wall for a hour to get past a part that would take 5 seconds on easy is just not worth it. I play games as a stress reliever from real life and not to give me more stress than I already have in real life. I know some people prefer the highest difficulty settings and love the grueling punishment that the game dishes out. But it's not for me LOL!

jitendra0341

Reaction score
When I was younger I played games just for fun or because I had pretty colors or simply because I was a child, now I play the games for their terrible difficulty and for the comforting that is to overcome some games like Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon etc, right now I prefer more the difficulty than the fun.
True. It happened to me also. I used to play game just to have fun. I played game with easy levels and stages just to win enough games to satisfy my time. After some days I get bored having no challenging situation and no thrill I got out of it. So i started to try difficult one. Initially I was not able to achieve my target but with some practice I have mastered them and really love to play the difficult one. I can say that if we want to enjoy game to its fullest go for more difficulties is pose.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Difficulty AND fun, it doesn't have to be different, the difficulty increases the chance of having fun in a game, without difficulty it would be so easy that you will get kind of bored.
YESSSS
Well, kind of. The Telltale Walking Dead series was pretty good despite having very easy gameplay, control-wise. I think the hardest part of that game was the decisions you have to make, especially because I usually panic during climaxes in the game. But I agree with you completely, games should start from pretty easy, to normal, to hard as the game progresses, otherwise a very easy game would just feel stale.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I always play for the fun of it and put games on the lowest difficulty. My personal opinion wanting to bang my head off the wall for a hour to get past a part that would take 5 seconds on easy is just not worth it. I play games as a stress reliever from real life and not to give me more stress than I already have in real life. I know some people prefer the highest difficulty settings and love the grueling punishment that the game dishes out. But it's not for me LOL!

I think the best bet is to meet halfway and try normal difficulty. I used to have this friend who had a modded Skyrim where his health is infinite. He would show me all the things he could do, but it just doesn't feel right lmao. He would pretend like he was thrilled on fighting bosses and struggles with them, but I don't see the point when he was practically immortal LOL. Normal difficulty is pretty easy too on most games, and I think you'll have a lot of fun with it :)

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I only experienced a sort of difficult times when I first started learning it. Since I became an expert in my favorite games which I play often, I have not been experiencing such difficult times any longer. Since I became perfect with my favorite game, I have derived a lot of fun from gaming.
Yeah, that happens. I've seen a guy struggle so much with Tekken 6 before but eventually became so good at it that me and my friend just can't beat him. I never had the patience for learning all the combos anyway, so I guess I'm the one to blame. But yes, I've also seen someone who played Dark Souls 3 religiously and eventually became Godlike while playing it because his gameplays are soooo smooth.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I always play for fun. And if that game has cheat or cheat codes. I am off to get me one hehehe.
I feel you if the game we're talking about would be the Grand Theft Auto series. I don't think I'll be able to live without cheats there LOL, I always find it tedious to search for weapons, so I'd rather have it typed down fast. And who could forget the Up Up Down Down cheat in classic SNES games like Contra, that was heavenly. But as for games that aren't meant to be cheated on, I usually just leave them be as the challenge feels just right.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I'd say I love playing games for fun especially if they are casual games and involve multiplayer. One of the games we played was Overcooked, which is about cooking inside a kitchen while cooperating with other players to prepare ingredients, cook the dish, serve it, and then wash dishes. It looks fun in the beginning levels but as you progress, you will go through stages wherein the place is moving and all of you have to coordinate very well or you might overcook the food. It's a fun game but what makes the game fun is the difficulty and the intensity in the teamwork. It is very satisfying to achieve a three-star rating for a stage that is very difficult to finish.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
The two go hand in hand for me. I have fun when facing a reasonable challenge: if you take away the difficulty, I can only feel pleased for a short time before it gets boring. Unless the game is structured to be messed with, thus leaning more towards the creative side, you can't keep playing a game for too long if you don't feel rewarded. And how can you feel rewarded if there is nowhere to put effort in?

Deathisue

Reaction score
True. It happened to me also. I used to play game just to have fun. I played game with easy levels and stages just to win enough games to satisfy my time. After some days I get bored having no challenging situation and no thrill I got out of it. So i started to try difficult one. Initially I was not able to achieve my target but with some practice I have mastered them and really love to play the difficult one. I can say that if we want to enjoy game to its fullest go for more difficulties is pose.
All of us have one game, one game who change our perceptions of a game, the more dificult game i play when i was young it was Ninja Gainden Black from there i started to play videogames with a lot of dificulty, tell me friend wich was yours.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
The two go hand in hand for me. I have fun when facing a reasonable challenge: if you take away the difficulty, I can only feel pleased for a short time before it gets boring. Unless the game is structured to be messed with, thus leaning more towards the creative side, you can't keep playing a game for too long if you don't feel rewarded. And how can you feel rewarded if there is nowhere to put effort in?
To me there's a point where it's just frustrating instead of challenging when there's a difficulty setting you have to finish. Most of the hardest parts involve starting up since you don't have any items, upgrades, or skills at the start of the game, and your enemies will pack a punch because of the difficulty level. Only when you start getting your skills and items will you snowball through the game, since even at hardest level, as long as you have all the best gear and skills, it's gonna be a cakewalk.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
It depends on how invested I am in the game. Most titles I just play for fun and only push myself to a certain point. If I really like the game though, especially if it's enough to warrant subsequent play-throughs after having completed the game, I will usually move into more of a hardcore mode in which I strive for better times or more complete runs; whatever that means for the specific title. Even on those titles which bring out my inner tiger I still tend to play pretty casually my first time. I see games as a experience first, and a competition second.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
To me there's a point where it's just frustrating instead of challenging when there's a difficulty setting you have to finish. Most of the hardest parts involve starting up since you don't have any items, upgrades, or skills at the start of the game, and your enemies will pack a punch because of the difficulty level. Only when you start getting your skills and items will you snowball through the game, since even at hardest level, as long as you have all the best gear and skills, it's gonna be a cakewalk.
Yeah, most times it's all about the initial setup. I wouldn't say it always ends up being a cakewalk, though, but having access to more equipment and gears opens the way to many exploits for sure. Old games could balance it out more easily because of the restrictions imposed to items and collectibles, so it was easier for them to manage them all (all NES Mega Man games had around 8 weapons available, so it was just a matter of setting the enemies' weakness and resistance to them properly), but nowadays, especially with RPGs, this has gotten way too complicated.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah, most times it's all about the initial setup. I wouldn't say it always ends up being a cakewalk, though, but having access to more equipment and gears opens the way to many exploits for sure. Old games could balance it out more easily because of the restrictions imposed to items and collectibles, so it was easier for them to manage them all (all NES Mega Man games had around 8 weapons available, so it was just a matter of setting the enemies' weakness and resistance to them properly), but nowadays, especially with RPGs, this has gotten way too complicated.
I tried (and succeeded) playing Witcher 3 in its entirety at the max level. The tutorial ghouls could seriously land a lethal punch, and every enemy in the game required you to dodge and execute attacks perfectly. It was a but fun and frustrating at first, but once I gained levels (since harder enemies = more exp), it got easier to the point where the final boss fight still didn't give me trouble, even if he was over 20 levels mine. Can't beat uber items and potions.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I tried (and succeeded) playing Witcher 3 in its entirety at the max level. The tutorial ghouls could seriously land a lethal punch, and every enemy in the game required you to dodge and execute attacks perfectly. It was a but fun and frustrating at first, but once I gained levels (since harder enemies = more exp), it got easier to the point where the final boss fight still didn't give me trouble, even if he was over 20 levels mine. Can't beat uber items and potions.
I haven't played The Witcher 3, but I get what you're saying. A similar thing happened with an SRPG, Fire Emblem Awakening, on Lunatic difficulty. The first three chapters or so are truly infernal, and you're almost required to follow a common path to succeed: however, things get progressively easier as you go. It's always like this when you have to rely more on stats rather than skill (still needed, mind you, but mistakes are more easily forgiven).

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I haven't played The Witcher 3, but I get what you're saying. A similar thing happened with an SRPG, Fire Emblem Awakening, on Lunatic difficulty. The first three chapters or so are truly infernal, and you're almost required to follow a common path to succeed: however, things get progressively easier as you go. It's always like this when you have to rely more on stats rather than skill (still needed, mind you, but mistakes are more easily forgiven).
Yeah. It helps that after the linear tutorial, you get to explore the entire map without doing the quests. That helps in building up your levels, gold, and skills by taking monster jobs and raiding bandit lairs for their money and items. It gets a lot easier from there but you gotta survive a frustratingly hard first area though, and most people unless it's a new game + don't really have the desire to do all that stuff.