• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Difficulty or Fun?

Gladdy

Reaction score
I think I am like the majority of people here. I play for both. I think that a good game should really have the both factors - a bit of fun and a bit of difficulty. I find it boring if a game isn't any challenge to complete and I can just finish it with my left toe. Or if it's really uncreative and boring... then I wouldn't even play. That's why I believe fun combined with difficulty is what differs the bad games from the great ones.

I do think that some newer games are too easy. Especially, if you look back in the past and how truly challenging games used to be. I still remember spending DAYS on certain levels just to be able to beat them. There was no giving up. Now we are spoilt and give up way too easily if a game presents us with a minor bump.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I always play for fun. And if that game has cheat or cheat codes. I am off to get me one hehehe.

reginafalange

Reaction score
In my personal opinion, I rather go for fun, when I used to play video games if there was something with a lot of difficulty it was really stressing for me and that is not the point for me of playing a video game. Fun video games are more relaxing and enjoyable, so I really rather to have a good time than be stressing out over a game lol

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I think that I like both, sometimes I like to play some difficult games and other times I like playing for fun, like Grand Theft Auto, I like to pass the missions and some of them are difficult, but other times I like to go shooting some cops and civilians to get more stars from the police and make fun of them!

Robbie626

Reaction score
I am a type of person that loves a challenge. If the game does not challenge a player with obstacles and difficult goals. The game will be very bland and boring to me in my point of view. Mario Games are fun games, but the newer games are a bit boring once you played them for a while. However, a huge challenge could be frustrating if you fail dozens of times, but where is the fun when you are not challenged out of your comfort zone?

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
I think it is a combination of both that works best for me. I like the fun element associated with solving every challenge. There are times when I get stuck up in a challenge and the fun element associated with it tends to reduce. It is then that either I seekhelp from friends or switch to another game.

msyukionna

Reaction score
This is hard one for me. I do enjoy a challenge, but I tend to get very impatient and very frustrated if I can't get past a certain point. I guess it comes down to what type of difficulty for me.

I prefer to have difficult puzzles and mental challenges. I don't mind repeating a puzzle over and over again until I get it; it is very satisfying for me. However, because I'm probably one of the clumsiest gamer you'll ever meet, I'm hopeless with controls and have extremely low agility for a gamer. So, fighting and/or jumping challenges that is too hard makes me MAD!%$#@^$^&#$&# :emoji-rage::emoji-rage::emoji-rage: #ragequit

That's why, I always tone action difficulty down to a manageable level and focus on the story line for more FUN~ :smile::smile::smile:

SerSlavos

Reaction score
First, maybe even the second playthrough, it is fun for me. When I beat the game once or twice, I go for difficulty. And then I realize how bad I am :D It gets really hard, I am a casual player. But it depends on a game really. The mix of both is the best I think so, not too difficult, but enough to give you some quality fun time, and be a bit challenging, but not impossible.

Ipa07

Reaction score
I like that game is fun and not that it's difficult. I play games in my free time and I don't want to become very nervous or anxious if I can't pass some mission.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I think it's more on fun for me. An example I'd like to make is the Walking Dead series (Telltale). The games are pretty easy to play, you may die a couple of times, but not as much as the average games. What matters for me, is the story and the fluid gameplay overall, if a game was simply hard but not fun, I'd simply call it boring. I'd play flappybird if all I needed was the difficulty.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
I play for fun first, then after learning all the things I should know, I try to increase the difficulty gradually until I beat them all.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I play for fun first, then after learning all the things I should know, I try to increase the difficulty gradually until I beat them all.
Pretty much what I do. If the game has a high value for replay then I increase the difficulty on my next play through. I love games that gives player high rewards for playing the higher difficulties(loots).

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I think it totally depends on the game. If I'm playing something family friendly like Mario Kart with my Girl or family, I would want something more fun. If I'm playing a game that's more conducive to solo playing like God o War, I think I'd want more difficulty. There are games that I play that blur the line a little bit. Every Halo I've played on 2-player campaign gets more fun the more difficult it gets. Just my thoughts, though.

StolenKid

Reaction score
Difficulty AND fun, it doesn't have to be different, the difficulty increases the chance of having fun in a game, without difficulty it would be so easy that you will get kind of bored.

WarVet

Reaction score
Even though i appreciate a good mix between both i have to say i value more fun than difficulty. Still there are different styles of games for different styles of gamers. If a game is too hard i willl definitely give up or use cheats anyway. Now if a game is too easy it isn't even fun to begin with (Saints Row anyone?) To me it has to be around 40% difficult and 60% fun. We all play to relax and relive stress anyway no?

Chinatown88

Reaction score
I'm between both. I liked to have fun but I also enjoy the gratification when I beat a difficult section. However, sometimes I get to angry if I get stuck and need to remind myself that I'm playing for enjoyment and fun. Video games are meant to make you smile and are meant for you to have fun.

EJ Burg

Reaction score
I'm the play for fun tips. When I play a game I really take my time and enjoy every little bit of it. I don't usually play a game on the maximum difficulty only sometimes but I'm really all into games for the fun of it.

Cendrillon

Reaction score

Couldn't have said it any better!

But if I were to choose, it'd be fun all the way. Mostly because I'm a weenie until I really get the hang of it.
It's more fun to feel accomplished with an easy level than to grind your teeth for the rest of the evening over a hard one, but that's just me.

Bayoneutra

Reaction score
It's more fun to feel accomplished with an easy level than to grind your teeth for the rest of the evening over a hard one, but that's just me.

Nah, you're not the only one.
What's the purpose of gaming if it isn't fun? If it was all about the difficulty then it'd be just another job. I'm an easily stressed person so if I focus too much on how hard the game is then I'll leave little room for fun, I'm always on extremes.
However, if I really like a game then I'll slowly increase the difficulty, because even if it turns out to be really hard to beat I'd still be having a blast.

overcast

Reaction score
I'd choose both. I have found that difficulty and fun comes in same package. If you want simple game where you easily win. You'd not play it for long. And in such case you'd be happy to have the game a bit difficult. You can see that having fun is not easier either. You may however have to think how that works out in such case.