• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

WHY do you game?

Kharyode

Reaction score
Video games improve my mood, the are relaxing, and fade anxiety, Video games help in stimulating the growth of new neurons.
They help you think quick, make fast decisions and analyses and lastly better hand - eye coordination.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
Sometimes I gain for the passion and will to win, other times it's to better my own skills and understandings but usually it's for the social aspect to get to know other gamers better, team up and play together and win together as well.

Frank

Reaction score
Video games improve my mood, the are relaxing, and fade anxiety, Video games help in stimulating the growth of new neurons.
They help you think quick, make fast decisions and analyses and lastly better hand - eye coordination.

I was gonna come in here and say pretty much this.

And there are different games which do different kinds of things. Cities: Skylines for example, is my current go-to when I want to do some relaxing, but I'll definitely play a game like EU4 if I want to think and be challenged, but not needing to use my reflexes. And then there are games like GTA V which are just pure fun and mayhem.

vinaya

Reaction score
I do lot of things to boost my mood and gaming is one of them. I do many things when I don't have any substantial work and playing games is one of them. I do lot of fun activities to pass time and gaming is one of them. So, basically, I game because I want to boost my mood, entertain myself and pass time.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
It's enriching to my life. I used to be a semi-professional musician and an avid outdoorsman. A series of blows to my health have left me unable to participate in either of those activities anymore. I was a gamer from my youth, but it was just a hobby then. Today, I find meaningful freedom in the various in-game worlds I haunt. There I still have the mobility to do the types of exploring I wish I could still be doing in the real world. It gives me back some of what I lost. It's not the same, of course, but I'm a glass half full kind of person. While I doubt my circumstance is particularly common, you never know what a simple hobby can be worth to the right person.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Because I like it, lol! I know it's a weird answer, but its the only reason why I play games. I enjoy them, I like to spent my time playing... It's just an hobby, a passion, there is no need to find an excuse to why we play!
We, or I, just like it! Simple as that.

overcast

Reaction score
I do lot of things to boost my mood and gaming is one of them. I do many things when I don't have any substantial work and playing games is one of them. I do lot of fun activities to pass time and gaming is one of them. So, basically, I game because I want to boost my mood, entertain myself and pass time.
Pretty much same with me. I think gaming is one form of detoxification activity. And that is why many people do it. Not that they always want to do it with gaming. But it it is worth saying that gaming can be fun for sure. I have seen some people having no issues with the gaming. In fact it works out for them.

goldlady

Reaction score
I play games because it's fun. It makes me get into a fantastic world that helps me escape from reality. It's a more participative and "active" way to entertain than movies and series, because somehow you're a part of it. Games help you improve your hability to solve problems, and that's an important part of intelligence. It also estimulate imagination and the bounding with people around the world that have the same interests you have. I definitley love gaming and it's one of my favorite ways to spend free time.

pioneerauthor

Reaction score
I game because I get a lot of fun doing it. Life is too short to stress all day not finding some time relaxing and having fun with family and friends. I have some friends and neighbors who are particularly interested in gaming too. So, we try finding some hours making fun after returning from work daily. Gaming is the usual activity we carry out whenever we want to make fun. Playing game gives me some sort of pleasure as if I'm doing some sports.

Jameson

Reaction score
I still play games for the fun of it. I would not want to be absorbed too much into gaming. Although more recently, I have felt a competitive personality build up within me whenever I'm playing with my friends. I hope it doesn't consume me though, because I would not want that.

JoeMilford

Reaction score
This is a great question--
I game for a variety of reasons, but I think the most prominent reason, for me, is for a means of escape.
I work in a pretty high stress environment, and there is a type of mental energy which I must constantly exude to keep up with my job.
Gaming access a different type of cerebral activity for me and gives me a different kind of catharsis which, I think, as long as I do not game TOO MUCH, is a healthy outlet for me.

olaryeankarh

Reaction score
I used to play games to while away my time before not. Fast forward to today, I am now a gamer of total fun. That is, each time I want to have fun, I pickup my game start and boooom! I agree that sometimes, it doesn't fit into my schedule but I can't help it anymore. Since some of these games teach us one thing or the other about reasoning anyway. It's a good bargain!

JoeMilford

Reaction score
I play games because it's fun. It makes me get into a fantastic world that helps me escape from reality. It's a more participative and "active" way to entertain than movies and series, because somehow you're a part of it. Games help you improve your hability to solve problems, and that's an important part of intelligence. It also estimulate imagination and the bounding with people around the world that have the same interests you have. I definitley love gaming and it's one of my favorite ways to spend free time.

goldlady--i totally agree with you here about escaping from reality--the interactive quality of gaming is a hugely different experience than just binge-watching a Netflix series or renting three Red Boxes to pass the time or to escape. I recently went through a bad breakup, and I think there were a few lonely nights that gaming helped get me through--although I am a bit ashamed to admit it, lol....

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
I do it to distract myself a little bit from work or real life also I guess is fun to go around a “different” world in different time periods and just get to be a “heroine” for a moment or a villain that doesn’t care about anything. You also get to escape a bit from reality and if you’re waiting for some reason you can play and time will go sooo fast! It’s like you’ve been 4 hours and feel like 1.

WarVet

Reaction score
I do it to distract myself a little bit from work or real life also I guess is fun to go around a “different” world in different time periods and just get to be a “heroine” for a moment or a villain that doesn’t care about anything. You also get to escape a bit from reality and if you’re waiting for some reason you can play and time will go sooo fast! It’s like you’ve been 4 hours and feel like 1.

Precisely that buddy. I started playing Stardew Valley recently. I choose to have a cat instead of a dog. Yesterday my lady cat passed away. When I was playing during the night I named the in game cat after her. Games provide a welcome break from a harsh reality. You can't get lost in it though.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Precisely that buddy. I started playing Stardew Valley recently. I choose to have a cat instead of a dog. Yesterday my lady cat passed away. When I was playing during the night I named the in game cat after her. Games provide a welcome break from a harsh reality. You can't get lost in it though.
I’m so sorry about your cat. I’ll bet she is in a better place now. You are right! We can get lost in the game. That could be good or bad depends on how well you’re investing your time. It can be good from time to time. To stop thinking about some problems for brief period of time but remember eventually we have to deal with what hurt us or what is bothering us, we have to face our reality at some point.

kgord

Reaction score
It is just a way to escape reality for a few minutes. I think it is the same reason people go to the movies or watch television, however, gaming is better because it is more of an interactive experience and one that most people seem to benefit from.

WarVet

Reaction score
I’m so sorry about your cat. I’ll bet she is in a better place now. You are right! We can get lost in the game. That could be good or bad depends on how well you’re investing your time. It can be good from time to time. To stop thinking about some problems for brief period of time but remember eventually we have to deal with what hurt us or what is bothering us, we have to face our reality at some point.

Precisely that man. It happens the same with any other type of escape from reality. Alcohol and Drugs can only provide you with a temporary patch to your suffering. Eventually, you'll have to face reality and endure its hardships. If you can learn and grow from them you will become stronger and move one. If you can't you'll be stuck in an imaginary world.

SeanP

Reaction score
I love the escapism. Gaming is more immersive to me than movies or television, so whenever I want to escape the real world I use a good game to do so. Because of this, I gravitate towards RPGs. The more "established" worlds allow me to whisk away to a far-away place. I try to limit the amount I play because of this. Back in the day, I would game too much and completely "zone out" from the real world, which is not a healthy habit in the slightest. MMORPG's are poison to me, for this very reason.

Thammy

Reaction score
I mostly game to relax and to also bond with people or reconnect with old friends..sometimes to think over an issue, and Hey! Most of all to renew my bragging right*lol, mostly with my friends or siblings. Then sometimes when I'm bored, but not the best time to play for me tho, especially if my mood is bad