• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What do you use to record?

Hidden308

Reaction score
I use hypercam at the moment.. I heard fraps was good but I never really tried it.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
FRAPS is pretty good, not really using anything to record right now, though. Considering buying a HDPVR for my Xbox to record matches and whatnot...that might happen soon. :x3:

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
anybody got any good recommendations for recording HD footage off of PS3?

Zawazuki

Reaction score
On consoles I use Dazzle Capture Card. On the computer I use Fraps.

overcast

Reaction score
I use Camtasia for recording the cast. And in case of the streaming I make use of the OBS Studio. Both of these programs are good enough for recording and streaming the content. You can see that some of the good options are open this way for the apps like these. I have seen that both of the apps also consume less resources.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I don't really record my gameplay anymore but when I was into Call of Duty games I recorded almost every time. Back then I was using FRAPS but the problem was that the files were so, so big in size (like HUGE). I don't know whether they fixed it now but it took a year to import and render, edit and export as a video. Other than that, FRAPS, was amazing even on my old computer. It didn't lag while recording neither did I lose any frames.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
FRAPS is pretty good to record gameplay, though I don't use it a lot. In fact, I only use it when I accidentally press the record button instead of the screenshot button, which happens from time to time. I check my folders for excess data and I find recordings of me playing Skyrim and it's about 10 gigabytes, so it's an instant delete and just restructure the whole hotkey system for the program. Problem solved.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I use bandicam. The pro version. I find it good since I can configure the presets and actually make my own quality of the video result to save space.
Fraps is a good choice too.

valy

Reaction score
On my PC I use Fraps because it is a surprisingly flexible way to record game footage for posting to YouTube and Twitch, and what I like the most is that Fraps will only record the game window, not the rest of your Windows desktop. It is free and easy to use and I think it is the best!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
On my PC I use Fraps because it is a surprisingly flexible way to record game footage for posting to YouTube and Twitch, and what I like the most is that Fraps will only record the game window, not the rest of your Windows desktop. It is free and easy to use and I think it is the best!
Agreed, FRAPS is basically a multipurpose program that you can use for a variety of things. Can't really ask for more than that considering it was a free program that had very minimal system requirements, and the downloaded installation file wasn't that large either.

vennybunny

Reaction score
I don't know why, but FRAPS hits my framerate much harder than Hypercam does. I only record for personal use, so the watermark doesn't really bother me.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I used to use Fraps but I just switched to a registered Bandicam now. Fraps is good but it was really hard for me to start with back then, Bandicam however, was fairly easy. If you have a GTX Nvidia GPU, I think you can access the Nvidia Shadowplay. It will record your game without any loss in FPS but it will also save it with a very big size.

castills

Reaction score
I used to use Razer Cortex then Window's Game Bar, but now use the NVDIA capture overlay as @arachnophobik mentioned. The latter twp work on any exe-good for recording artwork too.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
Personally, I don't record games to make YouTube edits for the world to see. I don't think my gameplay is that entertaining. So recording it is solely for my own entertainment.

In the beginning, I started using Hypercam for my videos. But it lacked true video/audio quality. Nowadays, however, I use ShadowPlay or Fraps occasionally.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Nvidia cards come with a built in, high def recording software that is pretty low impact. It's very effective but the file sizes it records to are ludicrous. I find it necessary to convert to a compressed file format after recording as I'm not working in any professional capacity with racks of spare hard drive at my disposal for archival purposes.

airfightermax

Reaction score
I do not really record my gameplay but I have FRAPS installed in my computer. I only tried it's recording function once and it worked as expected. I mainly use it to monitor my FPS in my games when I'm tweaking the graphics settings (I play on a potato laptop so I have to find the balance between graphics and playability).

I guess FRAPS gets the job done when recording, no doubt.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I use Xsplit Gamecaster and the program can either stream or record. And it has a nice edit function to edit your videos. I originally bought it for streaming but I now use it to make minecraft videos.

P.S. Xsplit is kind of costly but you can make professional quality videos.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I'm not really into gameplay or recording, but sometime I need record a particular game and in this case OBS is my way to go. it's free, it's simple, it work with everything and since I don't need a professional quality is the perfect program for me.
But if I need to record also the audio, I use Audacity since it offer more editing possibilities.