• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The Legend of Zelda Series

blackcanary

Reaction score
I've only played a couple of Zelda games, the first being on the Game Boy which I don't 100% remember.

But I picked up A Link Between Worlds last year and I really enjoyed it. Adventure type games aren't the type I usually play but I've been trying more out recently and A Link Between Worlds was definitely one of the better ones. I really liked the dungeons and the different puzzles you had to solve, some of which could get rather tricky! It's definitely more interesting than typical dungeons in games which usually have relatively linear layouts.

I'm sure some of you are far more knowledgable about the series than I am, which is why I'm interested in what your favourite Zelda games are. I'd love to try some more of them out! I was definitely thinking about picking up Majora's Mask for the 3DS, I haven't played the original so I think it'd be a really nice experience.

xcredence

Reaction score
Majoras Mask 3DS is pretty good but it's also pretty different. It has a darker theme and a heavier emphasis on figuring puzzles out, at least that's what I got from it. Personally I would start with Ocarina of Time 3DS, but if you think you'll enjoy Majora's Mask go for it. Both I feel are fantastic games that really benefit from the updated textures and the 3D.

blackcanary

Reaction score
Majoras Mask 3DS is pretty good but it's also pretty different. It has a darker theme and a heavier emphasis on figuring puzzles out, at least that's what I got from it. Personally I would start with Ocarina of Time 3DS, but if you think you'll enjoy Majora's Mask go for it. Both I feel are fantastic games that really benefit from the updated textures and the 3D.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not totally 100% familiar with the games in the series so I suppose I only mentioned Majora's Mask because it's the newest. I actually haven't seen Ocarina of Time at my local game shop I suppose due to it being older it's probably just not displayed out the front but it looks like a great game. I think I'll definitely try both of them out if possible and let you know what I think.

Ridge

Reaction score
Ocarina of Time is easily my favorite. I've made a point to play it once every year for the past 15 or so years. Majora's Mask is a very different Zelda game, but it is pretty good.

I've also been replaying Wind Waker lately. If you have a Wii U I can't recommend it enough.

gadin210

Reaction score
Ocarina of Time is my favorite, but here is a secret ( I have never beaten it!) :(

ScorpionWaterfall

Reaction score
The first Legend of Zelda game that I ever played happens to be my favorite. It was on the Gameboy. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. I don't remember much. You start the game waking up on a beach. A woman named Marin finds you and nurses you back to health. All I really remember is that I loved it and you could only hit the chickens 29 times with your sword before they attacked you.

Rosenii

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Majora's mask as it's a great game, though I admit my favourite n64/3DS remake game is Ocarina of Time. The clock has always felt too constricting to me, and I prefer being able to ride around on Epona and explore. You'll likely like one more than the other. Both games are gems though.

ShadowRaion

Reaction score
Ocarina of Time was my first in the series, so it holds a special place in my heart, but Majora's Mask is my favorite. I played it on Nintendo 64 when it first came out. Very innovative at time with a lot of side quests available to complete. I love getting things in game and completing 100%. It is darker in tone, you always feel pressure and impending doom. The 3Ds one is still good but they changed some things I believe to make it's complicated game play a little more understandable for newcomers.

fcuco

Reaction score
Well, A Link Between Worlds happens to be one fo the best Zelda games ever. A Link Between Worlds was actually a sequel to "A Link to the Past", yeah, well, the Zelda timeline is weird like that. Take a look into "A Link to The past" and you would see that those two games are very similar and I am sure that you will enjoy it. It was a SNES game.

If you liked the top down perspective a couple of DS games that are similar are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, those actually take advantage and use the DS touch screen and stylus, even the microphone... and a very clever thing that you have physically do with the console that I don't want to give away. Some people don't like those as much, I enjoyed them. ALBW is much better though.

Dame6089

Reaction score
I will ride or die for Ocarina of Time forever. It is my favorite game of all time and I have played it more than 10 times to completion. For better or worse, Ocarina laid the framework for all modern Zelda games. The idea of doing a forest, fire, and water dungeon in some order is something that mostly all 3D Zelda titles have adopted. Some fans hate that the series has taken that turn and I can see why because it can stale. So if you want to see teh game that dictated 3D Zeldas and 3D adventure games in general, check out Ocarina. I would suggest playing he 3DS version if possible because it fixes a lot of the issues of the original N64 version.

Steamroller

Reaction score
I love the Zelda series. Is one of my most favorite franchises. My first game was A link to the past from the Super Nintendo but the saga finally won my heart with Ocarina of time. I have not played the remakes yet, but they are on my pending list.

rz3300

Reaction score
I love everything Zelda as these have always been some of my favorite games for Nintendo. Even going back to the SNES days when it was just moving a little guy around on a map, it was still good back then. I like those games that you can go back and really tack the progress through the years, and it kind of tells its own story alongside technology as a whole. Thanks for sharing.

EntropiaAddict

Reaction score
The original Zelda is still a fantastic game and is available from the Nintendo eshop. Skip Zelda II (kind of a weird foray into a different style of gameplay). Easily the second best was A Link to the Past (also on the eshop I believe). After that, I really enjoyed Windwalker and Ocarina of Time. Looking forward to whatever they come up with next.

Tomm89

Reaction score
My favorite is The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker. I know this game had a lot of controversy surrounding its initial release but it is my all time favorite game. I think this game blends together the perfect feeling of adventure, action, and puzzle solving. Also having to sail from island to island on a boat heightened the game's sense of adventure because not everything is connected on one land mass. The dungeons are not very difficult as well but they still are very fun and require some thought which I prefer to some of the harder games which I can't beat without at least checking a guide once. This is an awesome game and definitely worth your time.

TakKovacs

Reaction score
A Link To The Past was so awesome! I burned my SNES up with that. I actually still have my original copy from when I was a kid and my old SNES. Making me want to go bust it out and play it. I'd say "It's been so long!", but it actually hasn't. I pulled out my Super Nintendo a couple years ago and played through it, as I do every so often. Truly a classic.

Javo1096

Reaction score
There is one that I really enjoyed playing (not saying the others were bad, it's just that this was a different experience) and that was Phantom Hourglass for the DS, it had really cool new mechanics at that time like the possibility of drawing a map or marking points of interest with the stylus.

Chinatown88

Reaction score
I'd have to go with Windwaker. I found the game to be really charming with the art style. Although the sailing did get tedious at some points. But overall the game was fun and I enjoyed some of the characters. I wish it ended a bit better though. The final battle was a bit too easy.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Zelda in Nintendo was the only time that I've played that game. Im more into Rockman/Megaman series.

MLF

Reaction score
The original Zelda is still a fantastic game and is available from the Nintendo eshop. Skip Zelda II (kind of a weird foray into a different style of gameplay). Easily the second best was A Link to the Past (also on the eshop I believe). After that, I really enjoyed Windwalker and Ocarina of Time. Looking forward to whatever they come up with next.
No way! I absolutely loved Zelda 2 for that reason -- the mixing up of gameplay styles. That is what gives things replayability IMO.

SpitfireMase

Reaction score
I never owned a Nintendo console, so I couldn't really play much Zelda. But the 3DS has ports of many of the games, so I plan on playing a lot of them soon using my 2DS and probably an emulator for ones I can't play with what I have otherwise. I've always enjoyed Zelda-like games that were available on the stuff I did have.

I only ever played Zelda as a really young child, younger than 5, which is before I could really understand how the puzzles worked