• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Strained eyes while playing games

CBL28

Reaction score
I wear glasses, but since I'm not very close to my screen, I don't experience any straining. I may have light headaches, but that's about it.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Yes, you are right. We have to limit our time in gaming, especially when we do it in a mobile phone. It having a bit small screen can really put a strain in our eyes in addition to the light of the screen.
Our eyes are precious, so we should not abuse it.
Eyes are one of the most precious asset. They need to be well taken care of. Over straining them just for the sake of gaming is completely unjustified.

Playing games on mobile means screen exposure from a very small distance. This causes comparatively more damage to the eyes. A careful self assessment is thus important so as to maintain the eyes in a healthy state.

SimplyD

Reaction score
Eyes are one of the most precious asset. They need to be well taken care of. Over straining them just for the sake of gaming is completely unjustified.

Playing games on mobile means screen exposure from a very small distance. This causes comparatively more damage to the eyes. A careful self assessment is thus important so as to maintain the eyes in a healthy state.

I can attest to that. My father-in-law is always watching DVDs in small DVD player. He is like this for the past 3 years, and now he can't see well anymore. We prohibited him now from watching DVD in his small DVD player. He prefers this especially that he can watch it while he is in his bed with the DVD player on top of his big belly. :sweatsmile:

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
I experienced this with my Nintendo DS when I was younger and now I wear contacts and glasses. I was an idiot playing on that thing for hours on end like it was terrible. Now I have an eye care package setting on my Gaming Dell Monitor so it helps my eyes a lot during extended periods of time.
I can attest to that. My father-in-law is always watching DVDs in small DVD player. He is like this for the past 3 years, and now he can't see well anymore. We prohibited him now from watching DVD in his small DVD player. He prefers this especially that he can watch it while he is in his bed with the DVD player on top of his big belly. :sweatsmile:
This is pretty close to the eyes. Constant exposure to brightness and changing contrasts will definitely over work the eye muscles. I feel sad for him.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I rarely feel my eyes straining when i am playing video games nowadays. Back then when I only play during Saturdays, I could feel straining of my eyes. My eyes weren't used to prolonged hours of playing video games back then. I think if ever I play for more than 6 hours, my vision will start blurring but my eyes would not hurt.
If my eyes start hurting or I feel slight dizziness, I rest and try to sleep until I feel better.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I rarely have this problem, almost never. I can't even remember when I had it the last time. I limit my playing to 2-3 hours a day max. Usually even less. I don't find much time for it anymore and I am also avoiding playing solo. So I am also waiting for a friend or two to adjust with them and play.

Laibrown

Reaction score
I spend lot of time on computer. So that does happen to me every now and then. Also some of the time it'd be odd to see how the games are going to bring nausea. It can make me move away from the computer. You can see that playing the games. I guess I have to reduce time spent on the forums too in that case.
Actually spending too much time on screen either it is TV screen or computer screen has adverse effects on the eyes. Most especially when it is done inside after a while the eye will be watery and vision will be blurry. The best thing to do is not to get off the screen in all entirety actually this is not good counsel for someone that have to work with computer all day. But target the best practise is to have a break in between sessions so as to allow the eyes rest a bit.

anaatef9

Reaction score
Excess exposure to screen can cause blurring of vision and watering from eyes as well. This is mainly the result of overstrained eyes.

How often do you experience this? Do you then limit your game time then?
I have only experienced this while playing FIFA. I play close to the TV and when I am trying to win, I think I don't blink. This causes my eyes to water and loses focus. I don't wear glasses or any other form of eyewear.When this happens, I try to take a quick walk and relax for a few minutes before hopping into another game.

lordrenly

Reaction score
I don't know if this is because the newer games are better in mitigating these problems or whether my eyes are getting more and more adjusted to video games, but in the old days, I used to have heavy eye strains and sometimes dizziness up to the point of almost throwing up whenever I played video games for abnormally long. Usually a good amount of sleep will fix it though so it is different from hangover from alcohol. I think conditioning yourself also plays a factor here as well.

WarVet

Reaction score
I don't know if this is because the newer games are better in mitigating these problems or whether my eyes are getting more and more adjusted to video games, but in the old days, I used to have heavy eye strains and sometimes dizziness up to the point of almost throwing up whenever I played video games for abnormally long. Usually a good amount of sleep will fix it though so it is different from hangover from alcohol. I think conditioning yourself also plays a factor here as well.

It does indeed. It depends on the kind of game also I believe. FPS and other games that require fast reflexes and quick direction changes put a big strain on the eyes and cause the musculature to tire faster. If you, however, play a more calm game like a strategy game then usually you will tire less. Also, the musculature does get stronger over time and you will feel fewer effects unless you overdo it.

streettallest

Reaction score
This used to be one of my greatest fear in gaming. the screen emits rays which can be harmful to the eyes.Presently, if I must play game on my laptop, it must be with the screen guard or my sunglasses.

airfightermax

Reaction score
I do experience this frequently when I play for hours without break in between. The true and tried solution for this is to of course, to take a break. It doesn't even have to be a long-ish break (5 minutes break for every hour of play gets the strain off a bit)

This is the exact reason why I can't play for multiple hours non-stop. I have friends that could play for 12 hours straight and they don't even feel a slight strain. Really baffles me!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I experienced this with my Nintendo DS when I was younger and now I wear contacts and glasses. I was an idiot playing on that thing for hours on end like it was terrible. Now I have an eye care package setting on my Gaming Dell Monitor so it helps my eyes a lot during extended periods of time.
Well that sucks. I think I started getting blurry vision back in high school when I was playing the GBA a lot, then the PS1 and 2, then the PC. I never had to wear glasses though until a few years ago since I got a digital drawing job and had to be in front of the PC for a long time - more often than when I simply started playing games. Can't really do anything about it though; no reason to cry over spilled milk.

Sino989

Reaction score
I used to experience this pretty often back when I into the competitive scene on call of duty because my team and I would constantly be playing call of duty so it happened a lot especially because I have pretty sensitive eyes.

SimplyD

Reaction score
This is pretty close to the eyes. Constant exposure to brightness and changing contrasts will definitely over work the eye muscles. I feel sad for him.
And because of that, he doesn't watch from his DVD player anymore. Before even if we tell him it will strain his eyes, he won't obey us to stop watching it. But now, he stopped it totally.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
And because of that, he doesn't watch from his DVD player anymore. Before even if we tell him it will strain his eyes, he won't obey us to stop watching it. But now, he stopped it totally.
Sometimes a lesson once learned becomes a lesson for life. I feel sorry that he realized this very late and had to bear such a great loss. Better as they said it is always better to be late than never.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Sometimes a lesson once learned becomes a lesson for life. I feel sorry that he realized this very late and had to bear such a great loss. Better as they said it is always better to be late than never.

SimplyD

Reaction score
I used to experience eye straining too, the obvious reason for this is staring at the screen for a long time especially when dark . eye strains can also lead to head aches, fortunately I have figured out a solution for this and I m sure it will workout for every body. What we can do is while gaming when we feel that our eyes are getting strained but we don't want to stop playing, just pull out your shades and continue playing with the shades on. It really helps.

Yes, that's because the shades have limited the strain in your eyes it being of dark lenses. This is only possible to people who don't wear prescriptive glasses to be able to read on the computer. I cannot do that because I have to wear my reading glasses when I am at the computer. What I do is that every now and then, I would stop staring or doing what I have to do on my computer and gaze outside the office window (I speak not of gaming but of doing work at the computer) and look at the green mountains for about 5-10 minutes. It helps a lot too.

SimplyD

Reaction score

Yes, I so agree. But isn't it in general that people learn their lesson only after a failed decision or work. Just like in the movie, the police always arrive late, after the crime has been done. :smile:

peachpurple

Reaction score
Yes, I do agree with you. Initially, I thought that with a wide LED monitor, there wouldn't be any problem with eye vision but it is not true. If looking at the small screen on the smartphone, that is even worst! What I did was to relocate my time. Every 1-2 hours, I will turn off the laptop, do my household chores before I return and start blogging again. Remember to wash the face after use. Felt refresh!