• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Strained eyes while playing games

Inqogn1to

Reaction score
I never experience this but maybe I've just gotten used to it I dont know. I usually spend several hours in the dark at night infront of the computer screen and have still not experienced this, except for some headaches occasionally. I got a friend who uses "gaming glasses" because he has this issue, and they work well for him he says.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Yes it has happen to me! Especially, it will intensify when I play a lot, but generally it happens. I always try to wear my glasses because they definitely prevent and improve the feeling but sometimes I just need to stop playing because it bother me so much I can’t focus. I don’t get watery eyes, on the opposite side I get really dry eyes and I start scratching them until they are red and have to wear some artificial tears to get them better. Artificial tears are my saviors, I guess.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
I never experience this but maybe I've just gotten used to it I dont know. I usually spend several hours in the dark at night infront of the computer screen and have still not experienced this, except for some headaches occasionally. I got a friend who uses "gaming glasses" because he has this issue, and they work well for him he says.
Don't get me wrong but please don't do this! This will seriously damage your sight! When I was a teen I used to do this and my doctor said it really contributes to damaging my vision. Now I have to wear glasses all the time! Please turn on the lights when you play or watching TV in dark places otherwise you’ll end up like me with a very terrible vision and a pair of glasses above your nose.

tinrmz15

Reaction score
I usually experience eye strains when I play for long periods, especially FPS/strategy games. It can be caused by too much exposure to the screen and most probably like me, who usually do not blink when the game is on climax (clashes). However, I usually stop playing when I feel irritation on my eye because it can cause blurring, which causes increase in eye grade.

pauldox3

Reaction score
I've read your distance from the monitor is also a huge factor in eye strain. I read that it has to be arm's length to prevent eye strain. Also i read that it has to be within above or below eye level. But ofcourse game times also pays a huge role. I used to play 9 hours a day and it ruined my eyes. I now where glasses with the biggest freaking grade. I wish i knew these stuff before

goldlady

Reaction score
It is so so bad but it is very common. I soffer from astigmatism so eye strain is an old friend to me. A few years ago it was so bad I could not spend more than half hour playing... It is better now that I wear glasses!

younes

Reaction score
Yeah! I am suffering from that. I know that I spend a lot of time playing games. Sometimes, I do not even notice that it is night. I keep playing games without I turn on the light. I feel pain because of the excess use of my eyes. I feel more pain if I do not look at any other place. So, I have to keep turning my eyes looking for other things from time to time instead of keeping focusing on the screen of my laptop. Once I finish playing, I take a look in front of the mirror, I can notice that the colour of my eyes is totally red, and I feel like they are burning or something like that.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Yeah! I am suffering from that. I know that I spend a lot of time playing games. Sometimes, I do not even notice that it is night. I keep playing games without I turn on the light. I feel pain because of the excess use of my eyes. I feel more pain if I do not look at any other place. So, I have to keep turning my eyes looking for other things from time to time instead of keeping focusing on the screen of my laptop. Once I finish playing, I take a look in front of the mirror, I can notice that the colour of my eyes is totally red, and I feel like they are burning or something like that.
You shoul definitely go to the optometrist for him to check your eyes. You are probably goin to need glasses after a while if you continue this "lifestyle", he can send you some good artificial teardrops for you to use too and that improve your vision!

younes

Reaction score
You shoul definitely go to the optometrist for him to check your eyes. You are probably goin to need glasses after a while if you continue this "lifestyle", he can send you some good artificial teardrops for you to use too and that improve your vision!
Thank you so much because you really care. Yes, I am thinking about visiting an optometrist. I am afraid from losing the capacity to see well. My right eye is now infected by something. I do not know what is it, but for sure this has a relation with the time that I spend on my laptop playing games. :/

reginafalange

Reaction score
When this happens it can be terrible. It is good to take a break and rest your eyes as you could be causing some damage with being exposed to a screen for long periods of time. I don't play often but I work with my computer for many hours and this happens from time to time. We have to be careful to not end up blind.

konomi

Reaction score
Whether I'm playing games or not, I'm usually staring at a computer screen. But I don't really feel like my eyes get strained. I keep my room bright, so maybe that helps? My eyes will get tired once it's late at night, but I think that would happen no matter what I'm looking at.

The best advice I'm aware of is to occasionally look away from your screen, and focus on something in the distance. I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to do, lol. But taking any kind of break is always good!

goldlady

Reaction score
It can be worst when you are playing all day long and then you do not notice that it's late night and you have not turned the lights on. I think using the computer with lights off makes eye straining even worst. Using the computer with lights on at night can help avoid it!

Zombiebait23

Reaction score
I actually just had a conversation with a pro-gamer about this. She complained that after long sessions she couldn't see very well. Even things up close like her keyboard were completely blurry. Some people recommend gaming glasses but I'm not sure if they work very well. From everything I've heard they are mostly a marketing gimmick and all the big streamers that actually use them don't see much benefit. Then again I've seen people swear by them.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Thank you so much because you really care. Yes, I am thinking about visiting an optometrist. I am afraid from losing the capacity to see well. My right eye is now infected by something. I do not know what is it, but for sure this has a relation with the time that I spend on my laptop playing games. :/
You're welcome! well infection got nothing to do with the time you are playing. Maybe you scratch your eyes when you play and the keyboard is a little dirty? yes, but infection happens from microorganism that invade your body somehow so maybe you should clean the keyboard and try some tears with antibiotics? also try washing your hands more frequently... I think It's proper to say that I'm actually a nurse in real life so don't think I'm just bossing you around lol. Hope this works.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I experience this sometimes, usually when playing for around 4-5 hours straight on PC. It's also usually the time I stop because the more I continue, the more I feel nauseated. It gives me minor headaches and fatigue for some reason. I suggest that you also take a few hours of break when that happens too as it may be terrible for your health.
I do get nausea and headaches too. Those are signs that I must stop playing and take a rest. Sometimes the headaches becomes very acute that I have to take medicines.

konomi

Reaction score
I've heard about wearing special glasses for when using a computer, and I don't know anything about them but I think maybe they block a certain type of light that computer screens emit?? So I think they might be effective, as long as the problem you're having is caused by the light.
I wonder how eye strain for gamers compares to office workers, or other people who use computers a lot. It almost seems like games might be better for your eyes than, like, spreadsheets or text documents, because games have more color/light variation?