• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Soundtracks

22_22

Reaction score
How important do you think music is in video games?

Hidden308

Reaction score
Very important I wouldn't play a game without it. It would be quite dull to just hear complete silence or just foot steps throughout a entire game. :p

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
very important, as it sets the mood and can make the experience better. Take hot and cold mini game in FF 9, that would have been torture if a bad song was on it.

I also feel The world ends with you has the best ost out there.

Pokemon

Reaction score
I love to listen to the music in almost all the games I play. Many games seem to have some great soundtracks. It makes the games more fun. Without music, video games would suck. There is some games though were the music is horrible and so I end up turning off the volume.

EJ Burg

Reaction score
Music in any game is really important. I think If the music fist the game it can really improve the overall quality of a game and your personal game play.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Very important I wouldn't play a game without it. It would be quite dull to just hear complete silence or just foot steps throughout a entire game. :p

I have to agree. Soundtracks play a big role. Imagine watching movies without any music. Imagine playing a horror game with no scary sounds or SFX. It would be dull. Especially in the horror games. If there are no creepy atmospheres and weird effects it wouldn't really be what it is. As for other games, it does play a good role, too. Sad cinematics, certain characters dying, sad and melancholic background music can bring more emotions to the scene.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
The soundtrack to games play a very important role in my experience. It's interesting, because it's not something I necessarily notice right off the bat, but rather that grows on me as I play the game more. I adore the soundtrack for Oblivion, and simply listening to the tracks on it give me a nostalgic feeling toward the world of Tamriel.

msyukionna

Reaction score
Quite contrary to everyone here, I do not usually play games with loud soundtrack on. I find it quite distracting when I need to focus on skill required tasks on a game. I do use the SFX for cues to the game but not background music. I turn it on once in a while through relaxing parts of the game. My main pet peeve with gaming soundtracks is mainly the "area specific" ones that change when you go from one area to another in the game. It's quite annoying while "travelling" through a game.

I do, however, absolutely LOVE gaming soundtracks, just not while playing. I like listening to the soundtracks by itself. So I'm that weird room mate who will have a game on AFK on the background while doing chores. HAHA! I know I'm odd in the head.

Sino989

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that the soundtracks to a game are VERY important but they do make the feel for the game a lot better and a good soundtrack always makes a good game even better.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
To me, music is important everywhere. It has the power to improve the quality for a certain amount. My favorite soundtrack from a game is the "Mass Effect" trilogy. I love that soundtrack so much, it is powerful, and full of emotions. I can literally imagine myself playing through the game by only listening to it. One more soundtrack I love besides ME is "The Last of Us", even though I haven't played the game, at least not yet.

overcast

Reaction score
I think soundtrack is very much important. Most of the games have the industrial house and techno track. And there are a lot of people who like such type of audio. Though lot of games have the bad soundtrack. But that is often debated as there are some really good people who are working on those soundtracks. Take serious sam, silent hill, resident evil soundtrack for example.

kenoobie

Reaction score
Music is an integral part of video games. Game soundtracks add flavor and depth to the game. What opened my eyes to game soundtracks was C&C. The genre is a combination of grunge/industrial/techno music and fits the game and the atmosphere quite nicely. Westwood really did a fine job in selecting/creating the soundtrack as I feel that it really made the game experience better.

WarVet

Reaction score
It's of primary importance yeah. Could you imagine horror games without sound? I bet 70% of the scare they produce would be cut. This reminds of "Scarface The World is Yours" for PS2. You could choose the songs you listened to while playing from a list. At that time the technology wouldn't allow us to put our own songs into the game but when GTA4 for PC came out it was possible. I recall running over civilians to the sound of Rammstein. Good times haha.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
It definitely adds to the immersion, though it doesn't contribute as much to the game as the actual story and gameplay. A good game with terrible music is tolerable; a bad game with good music is unsalvageable. It's all about balance, and luckily games like Skyrim and Witcher 3 tow that line masterfully.

castills

Reaction score
Music should only add to the game, especially for those without hearing. When it is implemented, it can give the listener chills or pump them up for the next boss fight or whammy them for a comedic line. I played a bit of orchestra in high school, and was glad to know that music, particularly from video games can improve focus.

Tune in!

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I think it's very important. Red Alert 2 had a better soundtrack for me compared to Red Alert 3, and I think the music is what really made me prefer it over its sequel. Skyrim also ha da good soundtrack as it adds immersion to the game. Games with terrible soundtracks kind of ruin the immersion that a player has with the game and lessens the enjoyment, or at least that's the way I see it.

valy

Reaction score
It depends on the person, but for me, music is significant. The right music for a certain scene/dungeon/battle can make or break the mood and feel of it all. Besides, I think the soundtrack creates atmosphere and pretty much makes up half the game.

Pixie06

Reaction score
It is very important. I got addicted to some games because of the soundtrack. The soundtrack also make the game more interesting. I really need a music in the background while playing

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
It is very important. I got addicted to some games because of the soundtrack. The soundtrack also make the game more interesting. I really need a music in the background while playing
One listen to this soundtrack at the start of the game and I was already hooked. There's really something about the soundtrack that would make or break a game. It's gonna be there when you are wandering around the game; it's there when you are fighting the boss, it's gonna be there when the credits are showing. If the songs and music aren't great, the mood is ruined.