• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Setting up a video gaming centre in the community.

Scholarkin

Reaction score
I have been spotting some gaming centres around the city and I hope to operate one.
Please house , what are the requirements to setup a state of the art gaming centre? And the cost estimation?
Thanks in advance for your comment.

Last edited:

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Pretty expensive since you gotta buy all the PC, the programs (yeah they gotta be legit), repairs for the PCs if they break, internet connection that will be good enough for your entire shop, and the electricity to make sure everything is running. Also, blackouts are a pain since you won't get any revenue for that day. Your entire business relies heavily on electricity and a stable internet connection, so it's gonna be a lot of work and pretty expensive too. Your PCs need to be good to run games to attract players, and they won't go there if the specs aren't good enough.

Scholarkin

Reaction score
Pretty expensive since you gotta buy all the PC, the programs (yeah they gotta be legit), repairs for the PCs if they break, internet connection that will be good enough for your entire shop, and the electricity to make sure everything is running. Also, blackouts are a pain since you won't get any revenue for that day. Your entire business relies heavily on electricity and a stable internet connection, so it's gonna be a lot of work and pretty expensive too. Your PCs need to be good to run games to attract players, and they won't go there if the specs aren't good enough.
Thanks blood.
Hmm, it's not very easy. But I will try and budget well. Good things don't come so easy. For the blackout, a generator or a small plant or solar panel will do.

Denis_P

Reaction score
It is all going to vary on the content of your game center. Games, consoles, computers, arcade cabinets, furniture; these are all things that you have to take into account. It is probably going to be cheaper for you to invest in consoles as opposed to computers given that you're likely to provide a more stable gaming experience for your customers through consoles. Computers are great for smooth performance and graphics but they have to be top tier to provide that, and you're going to be sinking in a lot of money for multiple systems that can play the latest titles on max settings at 60 FPS.

Don't forget that unless you have your own property, you're going to have to take rent into account as well. I don't know how it is in your area, but if you want to provide refreshments for your customers as they game, such as drinks and snacks, you're going to need a license for that as well.

We can't really get into cost estimates until you've figured out what exactly you want to provide, but it is definitely going to be a pretty penny. Keep us up to date, I can't wait to see how this goes!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
It is all going to vary on the content of your game center. Games, consoles, computers, arcade cabinets, furniture; these are all things that you have to take into account. It is probably going to be cheaper for you to invest in consoles as opposed to computers given that you're likely to provide a more stable gaming experience for your customers through consoles. Computers are great for smooth performance and graphics but they have to be top tier to provide that, and you're going to be sinking in a lot of money for multiple systems that can play the latest titles on max settings at 60 FPS.

Don't forget that unless you have your own property, you're going to have to take rent into account as well. I don't know how it is in your area, but if you want to provide refreshments for your customers as they game, such as drinks and snacks, you're going to need a license for that as well.

We can't really get into cost estimates until you've figured out what exactly you want to provide, but it is definitely going to be a pretty penny. Keep us up to date, I can't wait to see how this goes!
PS4s really attract customers. Big screen games too. But with that comes risk of damage from parents who take their kids there since they want their kids to shut up and couldn't afford one for themselves. Though that price would really jack up the total since you're trying to go at least semi-arcade with the whole console thing. I've thought of managing one myself but the initial cost for the risk of people breaking my stuff would be enormous and I'd rather not do that.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
PS4s really attract customers. Big screen games too. But with that comes risk of damage from parents who take their kids there since they want their kids to shut up and couldn't afford one for themselves. Though that price would really jack up the total since you're trying to go at least semi-arcade with the whole console thing. I've thought of managing one myself but the initial cost for the risk of people breaking my stuff would be enormous and I'd rather not do that.
Indeed, the initial investment, maintenance, risks and dubious final profit are big "turn-offs" to begin a service like this. I live in Portugal, and this culture of gaming centers isn't a thing, maybe in a country where this idea is new, maybe it may have some success, otherwise, i doubt any significant market will appear.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Indeed, the initial investment, maintenance, risks and dubious final profit are big "turn-offs" to begin a service like this. I live in Portugal, and this culture of gaming centers isn't a thing, maybe in a country where this idea is new, maybe it may have some success, otherwise, i doubt any significant market will appear.
lol well I hear arcades (full time ones with tickets and prizes) actually rack up a ton of profit because it's kid-friendly and the prizes cost a few cents to buy, but with tickets you'd have to waste lots of money just to get the higher end stuff. It's the ultimate rip-off because people would like a toy in the shelf as long as they earned it through the games, regardless of how cheap those can be in a retail store.

Scholarkin

Reaction score
Thank you all for your contributions.i can see you are well versed on gaming stuff. You aren't game rebels for nothing! Lol.
I'm taking all your comments into consideration. I will surely cross the bridge when I reach it. I'm so grateful guys.

Scholarkin

Reaction score
Thank you all for your contributions.i can see you are well versed on gaming stuff. You aren't game rebels for nothing! Lol.
I'm taking all your comments into consideration. I will surely cross the bridge when I reach it. I'm so grateful guys.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I live in Michigan and we have had 3 different people try make make a gaming cafe/center over the years and they always fold up shop. People are content with their Xbox or Playstation, or PC. It's too hard to get people out of the house and to your gaming cafe/center. But to answer your question your looking at a minimum of $200k~$300k to start. Every computer you buy is going to cost at least $2k each for a halfway decent system and then you're going to need Xbox's and Playstation's TV's and some kind of kitchen to sell people food.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Ah, I'd love it if we had any such gaming centers near my area. Sadly, we don't. We are a bit behind when it comes to thinks like that, nevertheless, you should continue to pursue your idea since there are more gamers every single day and the gaming industry is growing! It won't stop. I honestly have no idea how much money you would need though. I don't think that anybody can say specific number until you calculate things like: are you buying a property or renting it, how many computers, consoles etc. you will have available, how many TV's, what kind of TV's, how many chairs, and so on. You'd first have to post a list and brands of everything that you PLAN on purchasing.

I'd really suggest that you try looking up some of these gaming centers on Google and see their design and things that they've built. It might give you brand new ideas and inspire you.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Ah, I'd love it if we had any such gaming centers near my area. Sadly, we don't. We are a bit behind when it comes to thinks like that, nevertheless, you should continue to pursue your idea since there are more gamers every single day and the gaming industry is growing! It won't stop. I honestly have no idea how much money you would need though. I don't think that anybody can say specific number until you calculate things like: are you buying a property or renting it, how many computers, consoles etc. you will have available, how many TV's, what kind of TV's, how many chairs, and so on. You'd first have to post a list and brands of everything that you PLAN on purchasing.

I'd really suggest that you try looking up some of these gaming centers on Google and see their design and things that they've built. It might give you brand new ideas and inspire you.
I don't think not having these gaming centers is a sign of being "behind". Honestly, I think it's being phased out. Lots of free WiFi spots now so the idea of renting a PC for internet access is nearly obsolete. Mobile phones can access internet too, so you're not just limited to a full PC to browse and check emails. Combine that with free WiFi and you'll see why these gaming centers have been shutting down the past few years. Even full time arcades have diminished number of visitors because their games can now be accessed at home via consoles and trading.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I live in Michigan and we have had 3 different people try make make a gaming cafe/center over the years and they always fold up shop. People are content with their Xbox or Playstation, or PC. It's too hard to get people out of the house and to your gaming cafe/center. But to answer your question your looking at a minimum of $200k~$300k to start. Every computer you buy is going to cost at least $2k each for a halfway decent system and then you're going to need Xbox's and Playstation's TV's and some kind of kitchen to sell people food.
Yeah, with the rise in popularity of free wifi spots and cheaper consoles, big screen TVs, and tradable games, it's hard for anyone to be interested in a gaming center unless you live in an area (or country even) where most of the common people can't afford their own PCs or phones, so they'll have to go use your facility. That's being generous though since mobile phones can be used for emails, and people can always borrow laptops from their friends and simply go to a wifi spot to do their work. Only hardware they'll need is a printer, which really doesn't make a profit unless used a lot.

WarVet

Reaction score

That's a great idea actually! Still, it would hardly work here in Brazil. The municipal governments would hardly provide with any monetary help and even if they did you'd have to deal with burglars and vandals. Still, in a more civilized place, such idea could be great towards removing kids from the streets and entertaining them for a change.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
It wont be possible for us to answer the specific without knowing your budget and where you plan to open. But here are a few things to consider.

- You're going to have to focus on high end gaming. Games and systems are expensive per-item, but are ultimately a pretty achievable hobby for anyone with the will which means you're not going to be able to rely on the have-nots exclusively to make up your customer base. You're going to have to provide an experience for gamers they cannot easily get at home. My first instinct would be to go the VR rout since those headsets have priced themselves out of the majority of casual gamers' budgets.

- Consider opening in a city, even if you live in a suburban area. The suburbs, just by virtue of their tax brackets, are populated by people who really can afford their amusements for themselves. Cities tend to have larger populations of people who may not have access to the same luxuries and would be grateful for an opportunity to participate. Likewise, sheer numbers alone matter a lot in brick-and-mortar establishments. This is not the type of business that can be out of the way. Aim for a city borough that is highly residential and, ideally, near a cluster of schools so that you can take advantage of all that lunch money kids aren't spending on meals.

- Make sure you're investigating insurance! You are going to have a store full of very expensive electronics. That's going to make you a target for theft. You will also need to insure your equipment against damages, and potentially even consider liability insurances beyond the norm as, if you do include VR headsets, the likelihood of someone falling over and injuring themselves is above average.

I hope some of this helps you build a plausible business plan that will help you achieve your dream! It wont be easy but many things become possible if you're willing to do the heavy lifting.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
That's a great idea actually! Still, it would hardly work here in Brazil. The municipal governments would hardly provide with any monetary help and even if they did you'd have to deal with burglars and vandals. Still, in a more civilized place, such idea could be great towards removing kids from the streets and entertaining them for a change.
Yup, where I grew up in Asia it was popular to have computer shops because most kids can't afford a good PC for gaming, as well as a decent internet connection to play the games. I've heard stories of those shops getting robbed since they usually have 24/7 stuff for the hardcore gamers; parents angry at them since their kids cut school just to play, and their hardware getting stolen like the memory sticks or even entire monitors at some point. Definitely a lot of risk for all the money you are putting down.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yup, where I grew up in Asia it was popular to have computer shops because most kids can't afford a good PC for gaming, as well as a decent internet connection to play the games. I've heard stories of those shops getting robbed since they usually have 24/7 stuff for the hardcore gamers; parents angry at them since their kids cut school just to play, and their hardware getting stolen like the memory sticks or even entire monitors at some point. Definitely a lot of risk for all the money you are putting down.

Well, I think that it all comes down to education. I have been a troublesome teenager myself and I'm not saying that I would steal and break things from such a place but I could definitely sympathize with the act when I was younger. Why? Well, I was extremely unsatisfied with my parents, school and etc. If I had someone to hear me out without pointing fingers and made me realize that what I was doing was not productive then I might have done differently. I don't know man many variables to take into consideration but when I come to think of it I can only imagine such place in a very civilized country.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well, I think that it all comes down to education. I have been a troublesome teenager myself and I'm not saying that I would steal and break things from such a place but I could definitely sympathize with the act when I was younger. Why? Well, I was extremely unsatisfied with my parents, school and etc. If I had someone to hear me out without pointing fingers and made me realize that what I was doing was not productive then I might have done differently. I don't know man many variables to take into consideration but when I come to think of it I can only imagine such place in a very civilized country.
That can easily be fixed by installing a security camera (and telling people you have one installed). People are less likely to act out when they think they are being watched, and it really helps keep the place safe from theft, both for your items and for the customers' items as well. I've read tons of reports of missing phones, wallets, etc; just because the player was too busy in the game to realize the person next to him has been picking his pockets.

WarVet

Reaction score
That can easily be fixed by installing a security camera (and telling people you have one installed). People are less likely to act out when they think they are being watched, and it really helps keep the place safe from theft, both for your items and for the customers' items as well. I've read tons of reports of missing phones, wallets, etc; just because the player was too busy in the game to realize the person next to him has been picking his pockets.

You see that's where problems begin. The government would hardly have money to build the center itself. Let's suppose that by some miracle they did build it. They would not install cameras because it would cost extra. If they did install it they would need to pay someone to watch them. Extra cost. So unless it's a private sector idea(Which would necessarily imply charging for the use of the equipment since private initiative is profit oriented) or a charity act from some millionaire I don't see it happening over here anytime soon.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Ow, didn't they have any security systems installed? Still... I can imagine why robbing such a place is ''attractive'' to people. Just imagine how much one single good gaming computer costs. Now add ten or twenty, and some nice new consoles... big smart TV's and you can make a fortune out of reselling these items. If I'd ever build up a gaming center I'd definitely make sure that I have top notch security.