• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

PvE or PvP?

yoyoalben0

Reaction score
i have been hearing this game for a very long time, yet i haven't tried it. is it really good? like long time, i meant 10 years ago if i'm not wrong. this game was and everyone was crazy about it. my type of game was moba and mmorpg. most of the games i played back then was RAN online and CABAL including rose online. is there any guides in this forums for starters about WoW?

JaiGuru

Reaction score
i have been hearing this game for a very long time, yet i haven't tried it. is it really good? like long time, i meant 10 years ago if i'm not wrong. this game was and everyone was crazy about it. my type of game was moba and mmorpg. most of the games i played back then was RAN online and CABAL including rose online. is there any guides in this forums for starters about WoW?

The game is about 14 years old now I think. I can tell you that now is a great time to get started. You will hear a lot of us oldies complaining about the state of the game. Some of those complaints are valid, and some of us have unusually rosy glasses. The truth is that WoW has made a lot of quality of life changes out of necessity as the sheer amount of content has built upon itself into an unwieldy pile. Changes were made to make it easier for you to learn the game and get up to max level.

I hope you wont consider it flippant or evasive to tell you that you should not seek a guide. The game is the guide, it's an experience. Don't ruin it with guides that serve no purpose until end game anyway. Just enjoy the ride. I envy you, you know? You only get to be new and lost in the huge in-game world once. It doesn't last, and it's never quite as sweet again.

Zyni

Reaction score
I hope you wont consider it flippant or evasive to tell you that you should not seek a guide. The game is the guide, it's an experience. Don't ruin it with guides that serve no purpose until end game anyway. Just enjoy the ride. I envy you, you know? You only get to be new and lost in the huge in-game world once. It doesn't last, and it's never quite as sweet again.

This, for sure. It's good advice. It was exciting for me when I first entered the world. I had no idea what I was doing, got lost often, but never had so much fun. I would also recommend that you just experience it. Explore, enjoy.

You can get a free trial if you want to check it out. You can level up to 20 with the free version. You'll get that "new" experience, but level 20 doesn't even scratch the surface. All those years of content will give you plenty to do.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
This, for sure. It's good advice. It was exciting for me when I first entered the world. I had no idea what I was doing, got lost often, but never had so much fun. I would also recommend that you just experience it. Explore, enjoy.

You can get a free trial if you want to check it out. You can level up to 20 with the free version. You'll get that "new" experience, but level 20 doesn't even scratch the surface. All those years of content will give you plenty to do.

One of my favorite memories from my early WoW playing is when I was about level 11. I was questing in Westfall, back when it was hard to progress even at lower levels. I decided to take a break from the grind and explore up the western coast of the Eastern Kingdoms. I swam all the way to Wetlands! I'd never seen this far-off region before and was shocked there were raptors there! I made my way up the pass, headed south, and into Lock Modan where I first saw Stonewrought dam's imposing visage. I saw this region had spiders the size of SUVs and was mauled by bears numerous times before I could get back to a level-appropriate zone where I wouldn't die every five seconds. The thing is, I would have never had this odyssey if I had followed a guide and this was just one of uncountable exploration adventures I had. It's upsetting to think this organic sense of exploration is so often ruined by people seeking guides as it's the best of what this game has to offer.

Zyni

Reaction score
I love it. I was the same way, always going off someplace that I wasn't meant to be. I wandered into Duskwood as a wee Paladin and found that it was quite dangerous, even for a wielder of the Light, ha ha. Not only did stuff come from miles around to kill me, but the creepy things that came to kill me made me shudder. It was great.

I've done some serious swimming as well. Always looking around or looking for a shortcut, led to to doing a lot water treading. I'm surprised that I never drowned. I have died of fatigue though.

Also, speaking of PvP, I managed to wander into the other factions territory to my peril as well.

Last edited:

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I started playing pvp in WOW and then I learned quickly that pvp is filled with nothing but trolls. I can't even count how many times that I got zerged when I was leveling and minding my own business. After that I started playing pve and after about 6 months I got bored of the game and quit.

Skip

Super c00l d00d
Reaction score
Games that portrait both options (PVE and PVP) such as Destiny or WOW, I (for the most part) enjoy the PVE setting more so than the PVP. It seems like so much fun facing against all sorts of enemies, some with different abilities than others as in Destiny. It's also fun leveling up a shit ton then returning to the starting area(s) and destroy those l0w l3v3l skrubs.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I love it. I was the same way, always going off someplace that I wasn't meant to be. I wandered into Duskwood as a wee Paladin and found that it was quite dangerous, even for a wielder of the Light, ha ha. Not only did stuff come from miles around to kill me, but the creepy things that came to kill me made me shudder. It was great.

I've done some serious swimming as well. Always looking around or looking for a shortcut, led to to do a lot water treading. I'm surprised that I never drowned. I have died of fatigue though.

Also, speaking of PvP, I managed to wander into the other factions territory to my peril as well.

Oh yeah, especially early in the game Duskwood is serious business. I got blind sided by Stitches a few times. Likewise I was fascinated by the dragon who hid in the glade with the portal. It was a fascinating place to explore made more fun by trying to be there before you were the right level.

Zyni

Reaction score
I started playing pvp in WOW and then I learned quickly that pvp is filled with nothing but trolls. I can't even count how many times that I got zerged when I was leveling and minding my own business. After that I started playing pve and after about 6 months I got bored of the game and quit.

Well, there are going to be gankers. It's part of the package in a game that has opposing factions.I don't really mind, unless it's some fail PvP'er who can't compete with people his level, so he camps lowbies for hours. It's funny that you got bored once you didn't have the fear of being ganked any more. Some people like PvE servers, but some find the PvP realms more "dangerous" and exciting.

Oh yeah, especially early in the game Duskwood is serious business. I got blind sided by Stitches a few times. Likewise I was fascinated by the dragon who hid in the glade with the portal. It was a fascinating place to explore made more fun by trying to be there before you were the right level.

Oh, yeah, Stitches (I called him Patches earlier. I think I was thinking of Patchwerk, lol). He was quite the beast back in the day. Yes, I died trying to find out what was in that portal area, more than once. I loved going places that were beyond my level. Curiosity and the challenge kept me exploring. I always wanted to have a peek at the Horde camps too. It all looked so different from the Alli stuff, that I was just "dying" to see it, hee hee.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, Stitches (I called him Patches earlier. I think I was thinking of Patchwerk, lol). He was quite the beast back in the day. Yes, I died trying to find out what was in that portal area, more than once. I loved going places that were beyond my level. Curiosity and the challenge kept me exploring. I always wanted to have a peek at the Horde camps too. It all looked so different from the Alli stuff, that I was just "dying" to see it, hee hee.

Yeah I had to look up his name too because of confusion with Patchwerk. I'll never forget all the fun of downing him with bunches of people waiting in the town square to hear "Stitches in on the road!". That type of emergent gameplay was much more common in old WoW than it is now. The same sort of thing was true with the really big stone guy who wandered around Arathi Highlands. That was miserable too because the Horde would always try to tag him first and it turned into open world PvP brawls in contested territory.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I think I've answered to a similar post, but anyway, the answer is the same. When I'm trying to relax, I mostly prefer PvE, and when I'm in a more competitive mode (let's call it that), I engage in PvP games such as LoL or Tekken Online or Mortal Kombat.

forumheem

Reaction score
I enjoy both PvE and PvP but it was always PvP which made me play MMO. PvE is interesting but it gets kinda boring after some time and PvP is always something new there is always a different player on the other side and that is what makes it interesting in my opinion.

Zyni

Reaction score
That makes sense, @forumheem. It depends on my mood too, although both can be relaxing or intense depending on specific content and who you are playing with.

There was always a battle amongst players (forum/chat PvP, if you will) about which required more skill - PvE or PvP. The PvP'ers always claimed their preferred mode of game play was more skillful than "following a script." PvE'ers say logistics alone make raiding more difficult (although team PvP also has some of that now).

Opinions?

Hikin33t

Reaction score
Always, always PvP for me. I love to fight and the more difficult a game is, the better. To be honest with you, there's no computer in the world that could be more challenging to beat than a skilled human being, so.

And since I feel so much pleasure from the adrenaline rush that I get during PvP that when I PvE, I compare the two and I feel very hollow inside.

Dark Souls/Bloodborne PvE was really good, though. I wish more games had PvE like that.

Zyni

Reaction score
I've seen a few bosses that made me rethink that. Some are tuned so tightly that you have to play nearly perfectly to beat them. Others have ridiculous amounts of RNG or other gimmicks. Of course, the latter are not really measures of skill, but more about luck.

I do think it's more exciting, at least most of the time, to match up against another player. While there are only so many moves they can make, they can still surprise you sometimes.