• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

PvE or PvP?

Zyni

Reaction score
Well, I've been playing WoW on and off since Vanilla and I remember that I used to love to PVP but then I've begun raiding - my true love. I got so addicted to doing those 40 man raids, haha. I never PVPed anymore. I devoted my time to PVE side of WoW and stuck to that.

For example, ever since I began playing and till now, I've only done like 5 or 6 arenas. I just much prefer PVE - raids, dungeons, pugs, mythics and questing.

I'd probably get too stressed out doing PVP and dying :p

Yeah, if you're someone who gets upset over dying, PvP could be a little stressful. I don't worry about it that much. It's expected, especially since I like to play healers. I get focused a lot. I just rez and get back in the fight. I have a friend who freaks out every time she dies. After a couple of battlegrounds, she's all stressed out and ready to go do something else. I don't even know why she does PvP if it's so stressful to her. I find it exciting, personally. It wouldn't be as much fun without any risk.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
PvE in games are a lot less toxic in my opinion, so I mostly stick to those. It's more fun playing against the characters of the game instead of the players because I'm not trying to outdo anyone. I'm just trying to beat the game. I tried PvP before but like I said, it was more annoying than it is worth. If I were you I'd stay away, you'll enjoy the game more without it.

Zyni

Reaction score
It's not really about outdoing anyone, unless you're playing competitively. It's more about thinking fast and trying to counter what your opponent(s) will do. It becomes reflexive in certain cases, after a while. If they do X, you do Y, just like a boss fight or something.

Some people really know how to take full advantage of their toolkit though. They are the ones who make it really interesting. Instead of sticking to the most used moves, they like to surprise you. You have to be alert and have good reflexes.

If I were you I'd stay away, you'll enjoy the game more without it.

I think that really depends on the player. Some really enjoy the challenge of playing against another live person, instead of scripted AI.

msyukionna

Reaction score
PvE for me, for sure. I'm generally quite weak but very competitive. When PvP I'd always end up hating the person that beats me, then I'd feel upset for loosing. Not fun. Hahaha. At least with PvE I know what I'm faced with, and I know it's beatable. It gives me HOPE!

m33kuh

Reaction score
It depends for me. If I'm still low level and weak (q.q) I do PvE and try to get farmed and get levels as fast as I could. It also depends on the type of server. I mostly play on private servers, specially the vanilla ones. I don't like the new expansion so I'm sticking to TBC for the meantime. I hate it sometimes though, when you are leveling and some players just gank you and kill you for fun. Like yeah we know it's the essence of a game but it's just frustrating. :(

Zyni

Reaction score
It depends for me. If I'm still low level and weak (q.q) I do PvE and try to get farmed and get levels as fast as I could. It also depends on the type of server. I mostly play on private servers, specially the vanilla ones. I don't like the new expansion so I'm sticking to TBC for the meantime. I hate it sometimes though, when you are leveling and some players just gank you and kill you for fun. Like yeah we know it's the essence of a game but it's just frustrating. :(

I don't mind getting ganked, because like you said, it's just part of the game. Gank and move on. When they sit there and camp you forever, ganking you over and over and try to keep you from playing, yeah, then I get a bit annoyed.

Oh man, I would love to play TBC again. I wish Blizzard would put up legacy servers already. Through Wrath would be good.

"The Cataclysm" forward, I think I'll pass. It was the perfect name for that expansion, since that's the best way to describe what happened to the game overall. /cry :(

m33kuh

Reaction score
Oh man, I would love to play TBC again. I wish Blizzard would put up legacy servers already. Through Wrath would be good.

"The Cataclysm" forward, I think I'll pass. It was the perfect name for that expansion, since that's the best way to describe what happened to the game overall. /cry :(
I agree with you man. TBC was by far the best expansion and I think it is still if you prefer to play private servers like I do. I tried cataclysm, wrath of the lich king and mist of pandaria but I don't feel the excitement compared to The Burning Crusade. I don't know, maybe I haven't played it a lot or I'm just shocked with the transition of expansions.

Zyni

Reaction score
I hear ya. Burning Crusade rocked. Nothing has been the same since. I did actually have fun in Wrath of the Lich King, but it was the beginning of the end. Even the early raids in Cata were good (Blizzard does do good raids), but man, that expac was the first nail in the coffin. So much damage done to the game, not just the game world.

Yep, I consider the "transition" to be a downward spiral. I would be thrilled to play the good parts of the game again though. I'd play anything from classic through the first part of Wrath, through Ulduar.

Tronikart

Reaction score
A balance of both for me, for long I played a lot of PvP and mindlessly did some PvE but not as much raiding as everyone is used to, I played mostly on private servers so PvE was a bit limited. Fast forward some years and I got to play Legion as it was being released, I had a friend on a PvE server so I went ahead a created my character there. It was fun, to raid and be more organized, Ive healed all the time Ive been PvEing but after a while, I got bored, it was the same content every week, of course theres still BGs and Arenas but people on the server were not as interested, I got bored, stopped raiding and eventually stopped playing. So maybe next time Ill try a mix of both

BrokenDownFlier

Reaction score
The only game I've ever bothered with PVP was on WoW during Mists of Pandaria not long after I reached level 90. I started doing it mostly because I was an Achievement Hound and wanted as many as I could get before they were removed. I hated it at first but eventually I grew to enjoy some of those old battlegrounds. I tried them all several times; my favorites were Warsong Gulch, Temple of Kotmogu, Twin Peaks, Isle of Conquest and Alterac Valley. Eye of the Storm and Arathi Basin were ok but I absolutely hated Strand of the Ancients, Silvershard Mine and Battle for Gilneas.

BrokenDownFlier

Reaction score

Last time I played, if Blizzard found out you were on a private server they used to ban your account or something at their site. Does this still happen? I've considered digging out my pre-MoP battlechest and trying some old school WoW but I don't want to screw up my account in case I go back to the current mess just to see how bad they've ruined the game from "the good old days". It was bad enough that they dumbed down the player abilities in 6.0 for GarrisonCraft or adding Pandas to the game.

Zyni

Reaction score
The only game I've ever bothered with PVP was on WoW during Mists of Pandaria not long after I reached level 90. I started doing it mostly because I was an Achievement Hound and wanted as many as I could get before they were removed. I hated it at first but eventually I grew to enjoy some of those old battlegrounds. I tried them all several times; my favorites were Warsong Gulch, Temple of Kotmogu, Twin Peaks, Isle of Conquest and Alterac Valley. Eye of the Storm and Arathi Basin were ok but I absolutely hated Strand of the Ancients, Silvershard Mine and Battle for Gilneas.

Man, I used to love Warsong Gulch and spent lots of time in AV. They just aren't the same any more.

I hate the way most of the kids who play now ignore all the objectives of the battlegrounds and just run around. It used to be fun to have a good, tough, game in there. Now, I'd much rather be on a team doing rated than deal with whiny randoms. They are too quick to complain and say, "We lost," and give up. I'm in there to actually play.

Ugh, Strand of the Ancients. I know people have their own preferences, but I think most agree that this one is last on the list. I would bet that most people have it blocked.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Last time I played, if Blizzard found out you were on a private server they used to ban your account or something at their site. Does this still happen? I've considered digging out my pre-MoP battlechest and trying some old school WoW but I don't want to screw up my account in case I go back to the current mess just to see how bad they've ruined the game from "the good old days". It was bad enough that they dumbed down the player abilities in 6.0 for GarrisonCraft or adding Pandas to the game.
I'm not really sure. I haven't played Blizz while at the same time playing a private server back in the day.
I don't think that they'd find out though. I mean just don't use the same WoW folder I guess if you are gonna play another server.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I dabble in PvP, but it's the one part of the game where I simply have not bothered to develop any real proficiency. It seems like the game is perpetually imbalanced. One class always nukes the others and then massive nerfs come, many which make seemingly no sense. People get angry and the main PvP portion of this expac dies until the next round of promised improvements. To really have any fun with it you really do have to be a part of a dedicated PvP team who knows each other and has a commitment to exploiting the mechanical advantages your classes have in concert with each other. For me, there's just not time to do that and raid, mostly because raiding top level content requires the same type of teamwork and dedication. When time restraints forced me to chose I went with PvE, and I stand by that choice.

Though I do admit I'm pretty jealous of some of those PvP mounts.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I dabble in PvP, but it's the one part of the game where I simply have not bothered to develop any real proficiency. It seems like the game is perpetually imbalanced. One class always nukes the others and then massive nerfs come, many which make seemingly no sense. People get angry and the main PvP portion of this expac dies until the next round of promised improvements. To really have any fun with it you really do have to be a part of a dedicated PvP team who knows each other and has a commitment to exploiting the mechanical advantages your classes have in concert with each other. For me, there's just not time to do that and raid, mostly because raiding top level content requires the same type of teamwork and dedication. When time restraints forced me to chose I went with PvE, and I stand by that choice.

Though I do admit I'm pretty jealous of some of those PvP mounts.
Yeah we all feel the same way about one class nuking another class. Seems like Blizz wants to promote teamplay rather than solo gaming. But this was back in The Burning Crusade expansion. Now in Mist of Pandaria or Legion, everything seems to be balanced, except for the freaking paladins!

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Yeah we all feel the same way about one class nuking another class. Seems like Blizz wants to promote teamplay rather than solo gaming. But this was back in The Burning Crusade expansion. Now in Mist of Pandaria or Legion, everything seems to be balanced, except for the freaking paladins!

Do you have any good websites you could point me to that can teach the bare basics of movement and builds catering to PvP? I'd kind of like to give it another go. I'll be resubbing soon since 7.3 is on the PTR now and it's been quite a while since I've given it an honest try. I just remember feeling like that guy I was always complaining about in raids, you know the one; "Don't just stand there! Get out of the puddles! You have to move when he faces you!". I was that guy in PvP. Everyone else was circling around me like a tornado and I could never quite figure out how they were moving with such agility and yet keeping pointed in the right direction, within LoS, and casting their abilities. Some people have an extra hand somewhere! I've always sort of figured the way I have my keyboard setup must be very sub-optimal for PvP.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
I don't prefer any over the other. I think WoW is perfectly balanced the way it is right now, with the best mix of PvE and PvP. I do think PvP is more fun though.

DudeInCorner

Reaction score
Since WoW is the only MMO I've actually spent a good amount of time in and currently the PvP and PvE are both equally as fun and rewarding, I don't really have a favourite anymore. I used to be really big into raiding, however, especially during Wrath of the Lich King. The memories of me and my casual guild trying to 25-man the Icecrown Citadel will always be my favourite ones to come from WoW. Nowadays, though, endgame PvP is actually pretty fun, especially the Warlords of Draenor one and so I don't really feel the need to choose one over the other.

Zyni

Reaction score
Do you have any good websites you could point me to that can teach the bare basics of movement and builds catering to PvP?

I've always sort of figured the way I have my keyboard setup must be very sub-optimal for PvP.

Yeah, there is a definite difference in how you do things and set things up for PvP. There are specific addons that come in really handy as well. I had one called battleground targets that was quite useful. You might want to check that out. I'm trying to think of others.. it's been a while.

You might also want to look into some of the better players on youtube and twitch. One site that used to be good for PvP tips was Arena Junkies, though I have no idea if that's still updated or good, since I haven't been there in some time. Might be worth a look.