• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Old v/s new

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
There are times when people update their gaming consoles they put the older ones on sale.

A few months back one of my friend bought a new PS 4 and he immediately put his PS 3 on sale and that too at a considerable low price. I had a tough time deciding but soon ended up buying it.

Though I had great fears associated with my deal it turned out to be a great one. The console is working good till date.

Do you also avail any such good offers that come your way?

Gladdy

Reaction score
Well, you generally have two types of people.

The first type always keep all of their old consoles and games. They don't sell anything even when buying the new one. Even if they don't use their older consoles they just keep them for nostalgic and other reasons.

Then the second type of people, which is where I belong. The second type always sells their older and outdated games and consoles. Usually, they sell them either before buying the new one so they get the extra cash or a bit after buying it. I have sold all of my older consoles. I do regret it sometimes but I honestly never used them. The only older console that I still have (besides the 3DS) is Xbox 360. When I bought my PS4 I thought about selling it but I still have so, so many digital games on it that I want to finish.

Anyway, it seems like you got a good deal :) I would probably rebuy my SNES if somebody offered it for a good price.

thart

Reaction score
For me i prefer to keep all my old thing and not sell it, even if i want to buy new ones. It's nice to have some memorable memories where I can remember them well by checking my old stuff. And i like to play those old games in old consoles to make those memories alive again and feel the same joy.

GameCube

Reaction score
For me i prefer to keep all my old thing and not sell it, even if i want to buy new ones.

It's not the same as updating forum software. Instead, the fact remains that the old stuff is often as good as the new. However, though, sometimes they do put the games for the old console on the new - as with Super Mario All-Stars, but it's probably not the norm. Anyway, does anyone know?

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I haven't bought any gaming gear in the past 7-8 years. But I have an old PS2 which I don't plan on selling or anything, I still play it sometimes from nostalgia but, I like keeping my old stuff. And I wouldn't really get any rich of it to be honest so, why not just keep it for myself.

thart

Reaction score
It's not the same as updating forum software. Instead, the fact remains that the old stuff is often as good as the new. However, though, sometimes they do put the games for the old console on the new - as with Super Mario All-Stars, but it's probably not the norm. Anyway, does anyone know?
Can you tell us more about it if no problem

WarVet

Reaction score
I would and have done such deals in the past. It's the same that happens with a vehicle: You can buy a used one as long as you have an eye out for certain things. Do you know and trust the owner? Do you know the vehicle characteristics so much as to tell one in good shape from one in a bad shape? Can you " test drive" it in order to check it's performance personally? I happen with consoles also. Precedence is everything.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I'm the sentimental type so I don't sell my old stuff. I keep it in the closet since I paid for it and I can't just get rid of it. For that reason I still have the game discs from my PS2 (the actual console is at the old house), I still have my GBA, and the PC parts that I have replaced over the years like old memory sticks, graphics cards, and even the power fans, are still there. The boxes for the graphics cards are neatly arranged under my table, and they'll stay there just for old time's sake.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
If you think carefully those PS's and OG Xbox's will be worth a pretty penny if you kept them in good quality when we start proceeding into the future.

Sino989

Reaction score
I don't sell my old consoles I keep them for sentimental value and to have something to play when I get bored of my current console. A lot of games also aren't available to play on other platforms so I keep them for that reason as well :)

GameCube

Reaction score
I'm guessing a lot of old consoles cannot sell for much. In that case, it simply isn't worth it to some people. Anyway, can anyone name some common prices for used consoles? Note, though, of course, the newer the console than the higher the price. For instance, a Wii U should get more than a Wii.

fireball916

Reaction score
I always keep my older stuff. I sold my first Gameboy during a yard sale when I was a kid and I've regretted it ever since even though I have a DS to play my old Gameboy games. Even if I never use my older consoles it's nice to know I could If I wanted. I like to think of them like photos or decorations. They hold memories and they look good in my entertainment center. And If I'm lucky they will become valuable and turn into collectors items...or at least thats what I have to tell my logical self.

I don't sell my old consoles I keep them for sentimental value and to have something to play when I get bored of my current console. A lot of games also aren't available to play on other platforms so I keep them for that reason as well :)
It's always nice to boot up the old consoles and hear the start up sounds. Blast from the past!

Denis_P

Reaction score
I actually have always been one to be late to the gaming scene, and often was behind my peers in terms of console generations. Going as far back as my first console, I was on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System while everyone around had moved on to either the Nintendo 64 or the PlayStation One. At that time that was due to my family being poor, but even once I started working and had a decent income of my own, I still waited until price drops usually, simply because I'm a patient person and saving the money was worth it to me.

ZXD22

Reaction score
I keep all of my old consoles to keep when prices rise. It's an alright investment over a long period of time but most importantly for the nostalgia factor. Still have my PS1 that I've been playing since I was 9.

Laibrown

Reaction score
I will take old ones because I believe they have the best stories and were produced at the period when effort are still out in to making good story line. More so the new are update on the old ones basically.

Jameson

Reaction score
I generally like to keep my belongings. I would prefer to keep an old console and preserve it like a trophy for years on end, rather than selling immediately.

Laibrown

Reaction score
I generally like to keep my belongings. I would prefer to keep an old console and preserve it like a trophy for years on end, rather than selling immediately.

Yea you are right, I prefer keeping than selling it. Why would I se it when one can keep it and get new one. There's something about vintage for me. And you know oldies are the goodies.

Jameson

Reaction score
Yea you are right, I prefer keeping than selling it. Why would I se it when one can keep it and get new one. There's something about vintage for me. And you know oldies are the goodies.
I agree with you. I personally feel that it's way of more value keeping it than selling.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I think there's no need to update a console unless it's severely outdated. When a new console has been released and it hasn't been out on the market for long, chances are the previous one will still keep living and being active since there are not a lot of games for the new one yet. Aside from that, each console has a ton of games that you cannot possibly play them all in one console's average lifespan, so you'll still get to enjoy the console to it's fullest.

sima061

Reaction score
I like keeping my old stuff, no matter what exactly it is. Anything I can keep, I keep. I did have to sell some of my technology when I updated simply because I needed the money. But if it wasn't necessary, I wouldn't have done it. I like keeping things as memories. One day when I look at them, I remember all the good times. I find all my items equally relevant - technology, clothes, childhood toys, etc. I get strangely attached to material items because they bring me back to a certain period in time. However I do prefer to have something that works better at hand, so if the only way to upgrade is to sell the old stuff, then okay, it has to be done.
And yeah, I'd buy someone's old console if it was good enough for me. I don't think it's necessary to have the newest one.