• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Mobile Ports to PC?

overcast

Reaction score
I think flappy bird and Angry bird games were ported to the desktop PC. As you can see some of such games can be good enough for the same reason. You may find that even the sonic and few other games were ported from PC to mobile. I guess in future we can see injustice made for the mobile.

Denis_P

Reaction score
The reason I don't play games on my mobile phone is simply because I don't enjoy them at all. Any time I do use my phone as a gaming platform, it's because I'm either running an emulator to play classic games off the SNES, Genesis, Nintendo 64, or PlayStation One consoles. Either that, or I'm playing a game which was originally off consoles but ported to the Android format.

That being said, mobile games being ported to the PC format does not do anything for me. Putting a game on a big screen isn't going to improve the gameplay or convince me that it's worth playing. On the other hand, if you could manage to port a PC game onto a phone (which is currently impossible), now you have my attention.

zeedollar

Reaction score
I have seen more of pc port to mobile than a mobile port to pc. Though i know a few mobile games which ported to pc successfully but the game play didnt really have a significant boost as would be expected. I think maybe because they focus more on income than user experience.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Most mobile games are supposed to be time sinks to play every now and then, and thus have a very simplistic gameplay. That's why not all of them translate well on PC.
Look at Adventure Capitalist, for instance. The mobile version is addictive and I'm kind of embarassed to admit how much time I've wasted on it, but the PC version only lasted a couple of days on my HDD. Or, to quote some more obscure examples, there was a mobile game made by a metal band, Hail to the King: Deathbat, that was first published on mobile and later on Steam. Even though the game itself was nice to play on a phone, it wasn't highly praised on Steam because you could tell it was lackluster for a PC game.
Some games to manage to make it through, but, in my opinion, they're the exception.
Also, most mobile games are more fun when using touchscreen, but if you port it to the PC, it doesn't feel the same with you slashing fruit and stuff with the mouse pointer. It's not really as fun as say scrolling your way into the game, since the fun part is the interactive touch, and without it it's just gonna be a point-and-click game that would really get boring in minutes since it's meant to be played for a few minutes at a time on a more mobile setting.

ZXD22

Reaction score
It depends on the game. Would be better if the PC's screen was also a touch screen so you'd be able to play it like a phone but bigger and more powerful!

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Also, most mobile games are more fun when using touchscreen, but if you port it to the PC, it doesn't feel the same with you slashing fruit and stuff with the mouse pointer. It's not really as fun as say scrolling your way into the game, since the fun part is the interactive touch, and without it it's just gonna be a point-and-click game that would really get boring in minutes since it's meant to be played for a few minutes at a time on a more mobile setting.
Exactly. Plus, using a mouse is not as responsive as touch controls, so it can go from fun to frustrating really quickly. And mobile games usually don't have an engaging enough plot to make you disregard an annoying gameplay.
The time factor is also important. Mobile games are way more repetitive than standard ones, that's why it's easy to grow tired of them.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Exactly. Plus, using a mouse is not as responsive as touch controls, so it can go from fun to frustrating really quickly. And mobile games usually don't have an engaging enough plot to make you disregard an annoying gameplay.
The time factor is also important. Mobile games are way more repetitive than standard ones, that's why it's easy to grow tired of them.
Yeah the tapping action I admit is the reason why mobile games these days are great. Growing up playing mobile, it's been pressing buttons on the keypad. Not until we got touchscreen capabilities have we had a newer experience when playing. So if people port it to the PC, it's basically just playing Space Impact and using the #1 button to spam your main attack. Not the same.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yeah the tapping action I admit is the reason why mobile games these days are great. Growing up playing mobile, it's been pressing buttons on the keypad. Not until we got touchscreen capabilities have we had a newer experience when playing. So if people port it to the PC, it's basically just playing Space Impact and using the #1 button to spam your main attack. Not the same.
The complexity of the "new" (compared to the traditional keyboard/controller one) control mobile devices allow surely plays a huge part, yeah. The same thing happens, more or less, to VR games. Most of them are pretty lackluster if compared to other typical games you can get nowadays, but the visor is what makes them unique. You can't expect games designed to work around specific features to retain the same level of quality when you take them away.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
The complexity of the "new" (compared to the traditional keyboard/controller one) control mobile devices allow surely plays a huge part, yeah. The same thing happens, more or less, to VR games. Most of them are pretty lackluster if compared to other typical games you can get nowadays, but the visor is what makes them unique. You can't expect games designed to work around specific features to retain the same level of quality when you take them away.
Yeah, it's a new way to play. Don't get me wrong, the mouse and keyboard is great, but it gets old sometimes. Maybe the mouse and keyboard can't really replicate human reflex speed since they are basically the third party between you and the game? So a quick swipe and instant control in the game would really be awesome. I think VR is a long way to go, and it's still fairly limited when it comes to controls since they are more interested in graphics and realism at the moment.

WarVet

Reaction score

Yeah, most content focus around one main aspect. Sometimes the rest of the game isn't even that great but a certain novelty aspect makes it stand out. I believe everything should be a balance. I mean I could create a game about bunnies and flowers and use virtual reality and it would still suck no? At least, in my opinion, it would.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a new way to play. Don't get me wrong, the mouse and keyboard is great, but it gets old sometimes. Maybe the mouse and keyboard can't really replicate human reflex speed since they are basically the third party between you and the game? So a quick swipe and instant control in the game would really be awesome. I think VR is a long way to go, and it's still fairly limited when it comes to controls since they are more interested in graphics and realism at the moment.
Yeah, it's one less medium between you and the game. That would also explain the popularity boom motion controls went through with the Wii, as barebones and gimmicky as they were. The same could be said about VR, and you are right about it still being in its early stages, but it does have to potential to evolve into something even more direct than touch controls.
Yeah, most content focus around one main aspect. Sometimes the rest of the game isn't even that great but a certain novelty aspect makes it stand out. I believe everything should be a balance. I mean I could create a game about bunnies and flowers and use virtual reality and it would still suck no? At least, in my opinion, it would.
Yeah, we should always strive for balance, of course, but when a new peripheral is out, everyone will try to turn it into a gimmick to impress players with minimal effort (even though developing content with the use of new technology is surely challenging). That's what Wii Sports did, that's what Fruit Ninja did, that's what the most popular VR game in the future will do. They're not masterpieces by any means, but they were good at what they were programmed for: showcase new functionalities and make something fun out of it.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
There are a few mobile games that i seen come to PC and I didn't think they were too bad. Some word games and a racing game. But most of the mobile games are such poor quality that there's no way I would play them on PC. I mainly stick to regular PC and console games because the quality is night and day better.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yeah, it's one less medium between you and the game. That would also explain the popularity boom motion controls went through with the Wii, as barebones and gimmicky as they were. The same could be said about VR, and you are right about it still being in its early stages, but it does have to potential to evolve into something even more direct than touch controls.

Yeah, we should always strive for balance, of course, but when a new peripheral is out, everyone will try to turn it into a gimmick to impress players with minimal effort (even though developing content with the use of new technology is surely challenging). That's what Wii Sports did, that's what Fruit Ninja did, that's what the most popular VR game in the future will do. They're not masterpieces by any means, but they were good at what they were programmed for: showcase new functionalities and make something fun out of it.

It's like the saying goes "The first person through the wall will always be bloody" So we all gotta start somewhere and it's not always that easy to associate content with technology. Still, as much as I like technology I'd rather play a good action game on an outdated system than a kid's game on a VR. But that's just me I value content over novelty.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
It's like the saying goes "The first person through the wall will always be bloody" So we all gotta start somewhere and it's not always that easy to associate content with technology. Still, as much as I like technology I'd rather play a good action game on an outdated system than a kid's game on a VR. But that's just me I value content over novelty.
I'm with you there, the excitement you get out of novelty grows thin fast. I was just pointing out how the technology market (and more specifically the gaming one), concerning both producers and consumers, usually reacts to news, even though I don't necessarily agree with it. Plus, it's hard to settle for less once you get a taste of the real thing.

WarVet

Reaction score
I'm with you there, the excitement you get out of novelty grows thin fast. I was just pointing out how the technology market (and more specifically the gaming one), concerning both producers and consumers, usually reacts to news, even though I don't necessarily agree with it. Plus, it's hard to settle for less once you get a taste of the real thing.

Oh, i know. My brother is exactly like that. He sees a novelty and jumps right into it. You know fidget spinners? I mean they are cool but it's only a toy. Meant for children! He just bought three and he's 18 years old! "Oh cause they cool and reduce stress". Yeah like I believe it hahaha. The bottom line is some people will buy novelty whether it's good or bad. They just want to spend money.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Oh, i know. My brother is exactly like that. He sees a novelty and jumps right into it. You know fidget spinners? I mean they are cool but it's only a toy. Meant for children! He just bought three and he's 18 years old! "Oh cause they cool and reduce stress". Yeah like I believe it hahaha. The bottom line is some people will buy novelty whether it's good or bad. They just want to spend money.
Haha, yeah, I've seen them all around the place here. I've been asked to buy one myself, honestly, but...for God's sake, all they do is spin.
I mean, novelties aren't always a bad thing, even though the good ones only show up once in a while. Think of 3D printers, for instance. Ever since their prices started to drop a lot of people have been posting pictures of their first models. Considering how useful it can be, it's surely nice to see so many people aid the 3D printers market (even if that wasn't their intent) by following trends. It's just a matter of staying aware and judging products objectively for their true quality.

Thundercatte

Reaction score
It might just be that I have not seen any good examples of this, but IMO mobile ports to PC generally aren't all that great. Deus Ex: The Fall is one example of this, where it looks like the developers didn't really do much other than making a touch screen game playable with a keyboard and mouse. Buying guns literally involved just pulling up an in-game menu which was accessible from anywhere, rather than heading to some kind of NPC or shop. Pretty disappointing, especially considering how earlier games in the series were great.

WarVet

Reaction score
Haha, yeah, I've seen them all around the place here. I've been asked to buy one myself, honestly, but...for God's sake, all they do is spin.
I mean, novelties aren't always a bad thing, even though the good ones only show up once in a while. Think of 3D printers, for instance. Ever since their prices started to drop a lot of people have been posting pictures of their first models. Considering how useful it can be, it's surely nice to see so many people aid the 3D printers market (even if that wasn't their intent) by following trends. It's just a matter of staying aware and judging products objectively for their true quality.

Oh, man I'm not against novelties at all! Ok, i am a bit old school. But usually, i give the novelty some credit. If it does contribute to improving people's lives as a whole. And not just spin around haha.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Oh, man I'm not against novelties at all! Ok, i am a bit old school. But usually, i give the novelty some credit. If it does contribute to improving people's lives as a whole. And not just spin around haha.
We're on the same boat then, haha. I'm not sure how much videogame novelties can improve one's life, though, so...yeah, maybe it's good to stay a little wary and wait and see how these new technologies develop before jumping in.

WarVet

Reaction score
We're on the same boat then, haha. I'm not sure how much videogame novelties can improve one's life, though, so...yeah, maybe it's good to stay a little wary and wait and see how these new technologies develop before jumping in.

I meant novelties, in general, can improve people's lives aye? Maybe video game novelties can only improve gamers lives and that's something already because we have many gamers out there. But I agree with you, it's better to take marketing and mainstream media with a grain of salt. Especially around here where stuff is expensive and hardly ever high quality