• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Is World of Warcraft addictive?

Zyni

Reaction score
Wаrсrаft figurеd оut hоw tо mаkе mоst things еаsy еnоugh fоr аnybоdy tо dо thеm, but а fеw things mаddеningly diffiсult еvеn fоr mаny pеоplе. Thеrе wеrе mindlеss grаb аnd hасk quеsts аd nаusеum until yоu nееdеd prесisеly timеd 40 tооn rаids thаt tооk thrее hоurs оf nоbоdy tаking а bаthrооm brеаk.

It sounds like it's been a while since you played. Back then, I would have said yes, it was more addictive.

I'm not even sure the city raid feats (For the Horde and For the Alliance) are still doable, with all the cross realm stuff, phasing, and whatnot, but maybe. The 40 man raids that required that level of "dedication" are long gone too. I'd like to go back to the old days, at least the end of classic or BC. It was much more fun. I guess I should be glad for the changes, since there's no real risk of me getting addicted to the new version.

It's still got some good things about it though. A great game, all in all.

izacuson

Reaction score
World of Warcraft is definitely not as addictive as I thought it would be. I have heard an overflowing of hype, thinking that this particular game is going to be the best game of the entire existence,until I've played it for 30 minutes, and I was already bored of the game. I've found Aion to be more enjoyable than World of Warcraft.

Atropia

Reaction score
I never found WoW to be addicting, but what had prevented me from wanting to play was the monthly subscription, alongside, there are many alternatives to this game that are equally as fun and are free.

Zyni

Reaction score
I never found WoW to be addicting, but what had prevented me from wanting to play was the monthly subscription, alongside, there are many alternatives to this game that are equally as fun and are free.

You can earn gold in game to pay for your sub now. I think grinding out enough gold for a token every month could be a bit addicting for those who don't want to pay a sub fee.Making gold can be like a side hustle. Some people literally make a game of playing the auction house and finding ways to make lots of gold.

@izacuson I would probably feel the same way if I started playing World of Warcraft now. Back in the day though, it was truly a great game. I had many fond memories, some good friends, and many hours of fun. It was well worth the sub fee at the time.

Kidthebilly

Reaction score
Absolutely yes, this game can take a full day out of your life and you will not notice it until dawn haha. I think that his current expansions are not as good as WOTLK and that's why the game has lost some appeal in recent years; However I can spend hours playing it quietly.

Gladdy

Reaction score
You can earn gold in game to pay for your sub now. I think grinding out enough gold for a token every month could be a bit addicting for those who don't want to pay a sub fee.Making gold can be like a side hustle. Some people literally make a game of playing the auction house and finding ways to make lots of gold.

@izacuson I would probably feel the same way if I started playing World of Warcraft now. Back in the day though, it was truly a great game. I had many fond memories, some good friends, and many hours of fun. It was well worth the sub fee at the time.
Yeah but ever since they've turned these WoW sub-tokens into real money (you can choose to turn it into real money by adding it onto your Battle.net balance) the gold price of them has gone through the roof. I still remember when the tokens were like 40k and now they're above 250k on my server. You can still easily make the 250k gold per month but it is definitely more time-consuming.

Regarding WoW and it's addictive side - I think that anything can be addictive. It depends on each person. Some get addicted to food, some to television and others to games. I don't really think it's WoW's fault.

Ipa07

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely. I played it so much when it first came out.

mare.e

Reaction score
I got so involved with Lore that i played retail and private serers at the same time in order to expirience old content with questing and exploration hich led me to play private Vanila, TBC, WooLK, Cata servers since I only joined at the lauch of MoP. So I admit it to myself openly and everyone that I am WoW adict, and by that I dont mean "nolifer" . I mean that I am loyal player who enjoys WoW content all the time and don't see myself quiting game any time soon.

Cendrillon

Reaction score
Yes. Absolutely yes.
I haven't played in a few years since my lappy has got its ups and downs, but boy do I miss it.
It's such an enthralling world! Interesting mechanics, gorgeous graphics, there's nothing in it I don't miss.
The first thing I'll do after setting down on a new laptop will be getting my act together and play again. Even if I'm sure I'll be mind-blown after all the changes, I still get all excited when thinking about plunging in again.

Zyni

Reaction score
Yeah but ever since they've turned these WoW sub-tokens into real money (you can choose to turn it into real money by adding it onto your Battle.net balance) the gold price of them has gone through the roof. I still remember when the tokens were like 40k and now they're above 250k on my server. You can still easily make the 250k gold per month but it is definitely more time-consuming.

Regarding WoW and it's addictive side - I think that anything can be addictive. It depends on each person. Some get addicted to food, some to television and others to games. I don't really think it's WoW's fault.

Dang, I didn't know that (I don't keep up with it as much any more and mostly play vet account). That's a lot of gold. How do you "easily" make that much in a month?

Yes, anything can be addictive. It's especially true for people with addictive personalities. Um, many games are designed that way on purpose, since they want you to keep playing. I don't think WoW is as addictive now as it once was though. They don't follow the same design principles that they once did that made it so hard to put down.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
It was addictive enough that I think Henry Cavill (Superman) almost missed his audition to BE Superman because he was too busy playing WoW. I think the NBA player Roy Hibbert also had a gaming problem which lead to him being terrible in the court, to the point where he got traded multiple times. So yes, it's definitely addictive to some people, but for me I don't think I will even try it, because anything that requires you monthly membership is a waste of time and money. I already paid for the base game, why should I pay monthly to keep playing it? No thank you.

m33kuh

Reaction score
A good friend of mine plays World of Warcraft constantly, though he's also very active with college. Every minute that he's not studying or in class, he's playing online. I'm just wondering if this game is very addictive. He has asked me to download WoW to play too but I don't want to get addicted as I have other gaming interests as well as a job and family responsibilities.
WoW is indeed addictive. You can tell by the number of players on this game, millions! This game is so massive and so immersive and if you are a true dedicated gamer, you will get hooked eventually. :D It also is a complicated game sometimes. There are other things to keep in mind when playing. Nevertheless, the game is good.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Its challenging that is why its so addicting. Especially if you want challenge in a game. WOW is definitely one of the game to play

m33kuh

Reaction score
Its challenging that is why its so addicting. Especially if you want challenge in a game. WOW is definitely one of the game to play
True. Very challenging. You also must possess a good stamina and determination in real life if you want to play WoW because once you get hooked to it, there is no turning back. You gotta prepare lots of burritos and diet coke if you want to rule the game. :D

appleandcinnamon

Reaction score
It is, at the beginning. It was the sheer variety of equipment and item drops from kills that got me hooked. I stayed on in the game for quite a while to see what sort of cool, rare gears I could harvest from kills. But what really made me lose interest was the fact that you can't enter into about 80% of the maps without being sufficiently levelled up, and in many cases, without an equally strong team. A great deal of the maps were just too hostile. Also, I wish I didn't have to be Level 40 to mount a horse....

valy

Reaction score
Hi, Beverly I wouldn't say addicting, more like you log in and see that there is a lot of things have to get done for the day and by the time you do it, so much time has passed. They built Legion for someone who can afford to be playing all the time.
This game was once an open world with adventure and became an addiction generator.

Zyni

Reaction score
It is, at the beginning. It was the sheer variety of equipment and item drops from kills that got me hooked. I stayed on in the game for quite a while to see what sort of cool, rare gears I could harvest from kills. But what really made me lose interest was the fact that you can't enter into about 80% of the maps without being sufficiently levelled up, and in many cases, without an equally strong team. A great deal of the maps were just too hostile. Also, I wish I didn't have to be Level 40 to mount a horse....

In the past few years, it got much easier. I could solo some dungeons at level (on a priest). I wanted some gear for doing BGs, so I farmed it on my own. The bracers out of Wailing Caverns for example, which I have to say, I was kind of surprised that I could farm them on my own.

I guess stuff levels up and down with you now though, so that might not be do-able any more.

These days, you only have to be level 20 to ride a ground mount.

Last edited:

overcast

Reaction score
I think it is addictive enough for many people to lose job. And I have seen that some people are also playing it beyond their health capacity. I played it long enough to see how the Warcraft can be bad on many counts. So people need to keep their addiction in check. I do that by not logging inot the network every single day.

Zyni

Reaction score
I really don't see how that could be the case any more. It seems like the biggest audience these days is solo players who hit group finder, mess around a bit, and go on. It's not like people are trying to grind out High Warlord or Grand Marshall these days or like there are 40 man raids that take tons of time just on logistics alone.

I think most people who get addicted to games use them as a bit of escapism. In that case, it's probably not too healthy.

overcast

Reaction score
I think solo playing is getting popular due to the tournaments. But keeping that aside you can see that there is a lot of game improvement too. Based on earlier version of WOW and now. You can see that WOW in 2008 was very basic. And now it is more graphically rich and addictive. With tournaments it is even more so.