• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Is World of Warcraft addictive?

amig0enemig0

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the actual game is addictive it's just the people that play it that make it addictive for themselves. Yeah WoW is great but let's be real the game isn't actually addictive, people that play it for hours and hours keep on finding reasons to do so. Someone that's addicted to something will always say everything is better about what they're doing which means they hype up the game to be addictive but it ain't lol.

Aree Wongwanlee

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the actual game is addictive it's just the people that play it that make it addictive for themselves. Yeah WoW is great but let's be real the game isn't actually addictive, people that play it for hours and hours keep on finding reasons to do so. Someone that's addicted to something will always say everything is better about what they're doing which means they hype up the game to be addictive but it ain't lol.

You are right there. I have not really looked at this way. I mean the part where you said people who play WoW for hours and hours on end keep on finding reasons to do so. Perhaps they are just trying to get away from something. So they immerse themselves into the game. And forget all about the real world.

Webene

Reaction score
There are so many stories of people who are or were 'addicted' to WOW or any game. It's definitely more to do with the individual's personality than the actual game though. Sure, the game might provide opportunities to be addicted such as gaining more levels or becoming more skilled, but it's the player that decides to dedicate hours in game time. The never ending nature of MMOs, with a possibility to continue improving provides an opportunity to be addicted for gamers. Some people might prefer playing the game as it helps them escape reality and the burdens of everyday life. It is up to you though to either play the game in moderation as part of your normal life, or dedicate countless hours to it.

Last edited:

tournique

Reaction score
It could be. I am struggling with activities in the winter and usually play world of warcraft when there's nothing else to do. Sometimes hours can pass, like 3 or 4 unnoticed. Thankfully, I have a full time job and it keeps me busy for the day but when the sun is setting at 17:00, it's kinda sad to stay anywhere outside. But spring will be here soon and I will spend less and less time playing WoW.
TL;DR: Yes, it's addictive. Use it to waste time when you have nothing better to do. And enjoy

Mackmax

Reaction score
From what I've seen, yes. Everyone I know who plays WoW, started off thinking that the game was stupid and overrated. Then they would play the game for themselves and boom, they were hooked, lol. The only reason I don't play it for myself is because I'm not trying to get sucked in the same way they did. Like others i this thread have said, the game was designed to be addictive, that is why there are all sorts of realms and power-ups and levels and tools to keep it's audience from getting bored.

tournique

Reaction score
It sure can. But make sure you manage your time and your activities outside WoW as well.

gamer123

Reaction score
World of Warcraft is very addictive only when you have nothing better to do. In my opinion most people are addicted to the game. Why wouldn't you be?

The game is a whole new world from reality. People battle each other all day and it's great. I'm going to play in a little bit to battle others.

narnex

Reaction score
I have gone through periods where WOW is addictive to me and times where I don't even want to play at all. I think what it comes down to is your priorities. If you don't prioritize things like work and school it can be really hard to pull yourself away from WOW sometimes, it just has so much content and you could literally play 20+ hours a day and always have stuff to do. It has a great rewards system and I think that's what gets you hooked. The game is always giving you some small reward for every action and there is always some big carrot on a stick that you are working towards.

My advice, proceed with caution if you think you are prone to getting addicted to games.

xcredence

Reaction score
Yes World of Warcraft can be very addictive. You have to be very careful with MMORPGS in general cause it's that sense of reward that can get you hooked. There is a massive amount of players that have been addicted to WoW specifically so if you are someone that has gotten addicted to a game before, I would tread carefully.

gadin210

Reaction score
WoW is so very addictive, but not in a bad addiction way. You can still operate through life and stuff. You want to play 24/7 but you know you cant and its okay. But if you get into the Auction house and thats all you do (personal experience) wow does not leave your head.

gadin210

Reaction score
I'm afraid to join World of Warcraft because of how addicting it can be. My boyfriend plays it and he loves it. I want to purchase some sort of a subscription for it, but I just don't have enough money right now to be spending fifty dollars to play this game. Do any of you guys know if there is going to be any sort of sale on WOW?

Definitely try out wow. You wont get to addicted, just enough to where you want to play alot. Its an enjoyable addiction!

Northman

Reaction score
When i first started WOW in 2007 i think i played the game for like 6 months straight. It was entirely new to me and i just couldnt get enough of it. As time has passed ive had to really cut back and limit the amount of time i play the game. This is both in regards to my limited time because of work, family life, etc and because it really does take up a lot of your time. I was spending countless hours when i first started and it became a problem as i was up at all kinds of hours and for long periods of time.

AnonLu

Reaction score
I've never played WoW, nor do I have any desire to do so. I don't know, it just doesn't particularly appeal to me. Although I know many people who used to play, and still play, WoW for 3+ hours a day, every day. So, yeah, it seems addicting as hell.

Steamroller

Reaction score
WoW is a grindfest MMO, grinding is not as awful as korean lineage 2, but it is really a sponge that would soak up all your leisure hours, and will crave for moar :).

Kelly1

Reaction score
I rеmеmbеr оnе night I wаs dоing sоmе саsuаl rаiding аnd wаs аbоut tо shut dоwn аnd gо tо slееp whеn glоbаl сhаt stаrtеd gоing nuts аbоut sоmе mаssivе, еаrth-shаttеring rаid hаppеning thаt wаs likе а оnсе in а lifеtimе еvеnt.
Sоmеthing likе а fеw hundrеd nutjоbs (mysеlf inсludеd) wеrе gоing оn а mаssivе, multi-hоur rаid саllеd "Fоr thе Hоrdе", whiсh inсludеd dоing fоur things (killing еасh еnеmy саpitаl сity) thаt wаs rаrе tо pull оff оnе аt а timе. It's suсh а mаssivе сооrdinаtеd аttасk thаt it disrupts thе sеrvеrs tо thе pоint whеrе thеy'rе unplаyаblе, оnе оf thе rеаsоns it саn оnly rеаlly bе dоnе in thе middlе оf thе night.
Sо mе аnd sоmеthing likе а fеw hundrеd fеllоw gаmеrs, соmplеtе strаngеrs аll, spеnt а fеw grоggy hоurs сhаsing еасh оthеr аll оvеr а virtuаl wоrld with nоthing tо shоw fоr it but аdrеnаlinе lаg, insоmniа, аnd sоmе virtuаl bаdgе thаt wаs аs muсh а tеstаmеnt tо оur аddiсtiоn аs оur dеdiсаtiоn.
Wаrсrаft figurеd оut hоw tо mаkе mоst things еаsy еnоugh fоr аnybоdy tо dо thеm, but а fеw things mаddеningly diffiсult еvеn fоr mаny pеоplе. Thеrе wеrе mindlеss grаb аnd hасk quеsts аd nаusеum until yоu nееdеd prесisеly timеd 40 tооn rаids thаt tооk thrее hоurs оf nоbоdy tаking а bаthrооm brеаk.

Smokey

Reaction score
It can be. I got into World of Warcraft pretty heavy during High School and got semi-addicted to the point my grades started to drop. When this happened I was able to pull myself away from it and focus on my studies. I've been back maybe twice since then. I'm really thinking about hopping back into either WoW or some other MMORPG like Final Fantasy XIV on my PC. I have a gaming laptop and don't really use it for much gaming so I think WoW or FF14 might be a good way to start doing more PC gaming. :)

Referal

Reaction score
any game can be addictive depends how long you play it and when u play I remember Habbo used to be addicting for me few years ago now not so much.

Zyni

Reaction score
I don't actually think World of Warcraft is as addictive as it once was. There used to be a good risk to reward ratio designed to keep you wanting me (as I mentioned before). It doesn't feel that way to me any longer, since they've done so many revamps and made so many changes. The "grind" isn't the same either. It used to feel rewarding, now a lot of it feels like purposefully created time sinks (there were always time sinks, it just didn't feel like that's all they were).

There is now no reason to really make friends either, since you can play the entire game solo. Well, some of it is actually done with random people, but you'll likely never see them again. The friendships were half the fun and part of what made me want to play more.

Referal

Reaction score
I will still say WOW is better way better then League of Legends