• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Have you ever made a game?

fcuco

Reaction score
Everybody that learns to program will end up making a game, games are great programing exercises. I wrote a minesweeper clone, a hangman game (that's a classic), a program that generated crossword puzzles (I don't know if this count as a game, but yeah) and I also created an adventure game but that was using a point and click game creator thing that also allowed you to use some scripting.

Casiox

Reaction score
There are programs that do this. The different parts of the game are developed independently and only when the different parts are ready are they brought together.

Still, it definitely requires a lot of knowledge and skills to make a good game, other than that you can make a Pacman type game if you do not have that much experience, indeed.

dap1900

Reaction score
I rarely make games. I mod games. Several years ago, I modded games with programming languages, such as Lua. I don't remember how to program and write programming languages now.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
My introductory into PC gaming was making games actually. From 2012 to late 14', I was an active user on the website "Roblox". Basically, there are two ways to play. #1, you visit other people's maps/arenas/games and participate in that specific game with other online users. #2, you build out your own game through learning Lua scripting and basic concepts of Graphic User Interface (GUI). Within that time, I was able to make several different maps including death match arenas, forts, racing cars w/ tracks. The beautiful thing about Roblox is that once you become skilled in Lua and GUI, the creativity of your mind is the only thing that limits you. I would love to build out a proper game (along with several others) if I had the time to.

Tucker933

Reaction score
I've released quite a few mods, but never made my own game. However I've worked under contract for a AAA game before as an effects artist.

Corzhens

Reaction score
It was a long time ago when I was part of the team that created a star trek like game. It was actually a simple dexterity game like tetris but what comes down are stars that were supposed to be bombs. My role in the creation of that game is as designer of the game, the functionality and the rules. But it was not a commercial game although we gave away copies in the diskette to friends. I don't know what happened to that game now and maybe it will have to be tweaked to run in Windows.

christopher murray

Reaction score
First game I ever made was a MUGEN game it was name Street Fighter vs Dragon ball z.It has a lot of character in it and also lot of stages to choose from.It wasn't easy to build but I think I did a great job.

Sino989

Reaction score
I have never made a game in my life. I was always interested in making my own game because I thought it was interesting how you could make your imagination into something real.

Lord Sanity

Reaction score
I came close to making a game on two separate occasions.
One was through selling my creative idea to accompany that was interested but unfortunately I did not have the money to afford a patent.
The second time I was learning using the Unreal Engine software.
But unfortunately I just gave up on it.
So yeah now I have never made my own game.

reginafalange

Reaction score
There are some people who use gamemaker studio for making easy platform games. It's easy but takes a lot of work.

overcast

Reaction score
I have made few games demo in Game Maker. It was old Game maker 4 which has no export options for the Android. I think if I had that option then I'd have used that option for the export. I think some of the games can be good in that case. I have to switch to Unity or maybe new game maker and see what I can do in that case.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
Yes I did, I created PONG on C++, where you can play as 1 player or 2 players. It was a project on my class before, it was a pain creating a game, but it's fun when you get to play the finished product.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I tried making a game but I found that I simply do not have the time it takes to make a game by yourself. I got fairly good at making sprite art and animations, and even familiarized myself with Unity but I never made anything more than little demos. If I ever wanted to do anything outside of Unity's presets, I had to write code. I then picked up learning how to code C# and quickly discovered it was going to take a lot of time and effort before I got anywhere, which was far more than I was willing to put in to for a side hobby.

Maybe one day.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
No, but I surely want to do that some day, I would like to learn how to program and make good videogames, all the programming is fascinating for me and I would love to learn that, but I don't have the time...

Pixie06

Reaction score
In fact I never tried. But my cousin did made about two flash games. The games were not that bad I would say. If I were to make a game I would like to make something outstanding. But I know that this is difficult because I don't have the required skills. Whenever I look at those finely made games I usually think about the amount of efforts and determination behind it.

valy

Reaction score
I never tried to make a game, because i don't have a program for it and I am not that good at this. I am good at graphic design or making a site, but not games, i wouldn't even know how to start! If it is that easy to make a game, i would try to create one!

MLF

Reaction score
Dating myself here, but yes, I made several text-based games back when I was a teen in BASIC. Really wished I would have archived them because it would have been fun to go back and laugh at them over 20 years later.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I've never made a game before but I'm planning to one day. I have a pretty basic background in programming but I'll work on that soon. I have a close friend that makes games though, he used to make his games through the WorldEditor included in Warcraft III. His moba game was fun, despite the lack of original sprites, the skills and map were made by him and I found it better than most moba games I've played. Recently he started making a game through Clickteam Fusion I believe, he's about to release it soon too, it's nothing big but I'm hyped because I'm thinking he might go far with that hobby.

thart

Reaction score
No I've never made a game before, but this idea sounds good if i have time for it.