• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Have you ever made a game?

Quiver

Reaction score
The other day I made a very simple GUI Hangman game for Windows in C#.
It fetched words off the internet via a feed (over 900 words in the list I believe).
I am pleased to say that the game was functional and quite fun to play as well. :)
Have any of you made a game before? Even a very simple one like mine perhaps?

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
The other day I made a very simple GUI Hangman game for Windows in C#.
It fetched words off the internet via a feed (over 900 words in the list I believe).
I am pleased to say that the game was functional and quite fun to play as well. :)
Have any of you made a game before? Even a very simple one like mine perhaps?

I use to make flash games all the time. A couple of them can even be found on my flash game wesbite. The others I sold away to make some money.

Esperahol

Reaction score
I'm working on a game, but the difference between my goal(s) and my current skills means this is going to take some time. Thankfully I learn fast and I already had most of the things I needed. I just have to put it all together.

thepostman

Reaction score
I've made quite a few, puzzle type games, children games and small scale role-playing games. The feeling of accomplishment when a project is completed is awesome. Congratulations on your game and keep on making them.

Shole

Reaction score
I did try and eventually managed to make something that looked like a game :))

Oklahoma City Thunder

Reaction score
I would like to make a game but I'm not very experienced with the things that are needed to create a game.

Minecraft2201

Reaction score
I've only made a matching game in C#. I've stopped programming a while ago but you just reminded me of it. I might have to get back into it! :)

Dabstin

Reaction score
I did make a few games using Gamemaker Studio when I was young. I stopped due to boredom and lack of ideas, but I'm resuming my learning because I've regained interest after I learned quite a fair bit of programming to keep the ideas flowing. I realized that using code with GM Studio was way more flexible and interesting than using the already existing tools.
The games I made were just simple 2D platformers that already existed. Like Mario and Sonic. I even stole the sprites from google searches lol.

leahcim132

Reaction score
I made a hangman game using Python a while back for a class. It was a lot of work making it as I wasn't used to programming back then but I learned a lot. Perhaps one day for a final project I will make another game but in a different language :).

Liselle

Reaction score
I've made some flash games that I've uploaded in the past. I found tutorials online on how to create flash games and just made a simple game based on what I learned. It was really fun because I made my own graphics and did everything on my own.

AndroidOS

Reaction score
I've taught children how to make basic games using Python & Pygame, but other than that I've had no experience. I'm not creative enough to come up with anything remotely exciting enough that I'd think "Oh yeah, that's worth trying to make". :p

fcuco

Reaction score
The first thing that everybody does after the Hello World program when they are learning to code is probably trying to make a game.
Games are actually quite complicated things these days, people don't seem to realize that games are sophisticated pieces of code, specially in the 3d engine development part, there is a lot complex maths involved. Even simple casual games are not trivial to develop.

AnonLu

Reaction score
I'm planning on starting to make, and possibly sell, games sooner rather than later. Of course, since it's just me working on this, they'll be smaller scale.

Steamroller

Reaction score
I dabbled for a while with rpg maker and made a simple snake game with Python. That's all the experience I got with gaming. I want to move onto something more ambitious but I need to practice more and make a ton of crappy games to improve my ability.

Casiox

Reaction score
I have not had the opportunity of making a game by myself yet, but I would definitely love to do so since it seems to be a pretty interesting thing to do, but it would be really frustrating for me, mostly because I'm a newbie when it comes to programming and coding, it's just something that I would really have to practice a lot to finally master it and do something like developing a game or something as big as that.

SirJoe

Reaction score
Like so many people I have thought of making one but never did get round to doing it. I couldn't make a very complex game since i don't know how to program in C++. There is some software out there that allows you to build a simple game without any programming knowledge and thought of using one of these platforms. They are perfect for cell and smart phones but not very good for much else.

Casiox

Reaction score
Like so many people I have thought of making one but never did get round to doing it. I couldn't make a very complex game since i don't know how to program in C++. There is some software out there that allows you to build a simple game without any programming knowledge and thought of using one of these platforms. They are perfect for cell and smart phones but not very good for much else.

You really have a point there, but I do not really think that an average gamer would ever like to create a game without the features they have got used to seeing and whatnot, if I had the chance and if I knew how to create a game I would definitely want it to be something good and special, not just a simple calculator program, indeed.

SirJoe

Reaction score
You really have a point there, but I do not really think that an average gamer would ever like to create a game without the features they have got used to seeing and whatnot, if I had the chance and if I knew how to create a game I would definitely want it to be something good and special, not just a simple calculator program, indeed.
Unfortunately that is as far as the average gamer will be able to go. The programs that allow you to build your own game are really simple. I think you could still build a good story line but the graphics will be far from good.

Casiox

Reaction score
Unfortunately that is as far as the average gamer will be able to go. The programs that allow you to build your own game are really simple. I think you could still build a good story line but the graphics will be far from good.

That's what I have no clue about, the graphics. I do not really know how to mix graphics with the whole program coding, it seems to be really difficult, especially for those people who have zero knowledge about programming and that sort of thing.

SirJoe

Reaction score
That's what I have no clue about, the graphics. I do not really know how to mix graphics with the whole program coding, it seems to be really difficult, especially for those people who have zero knowledge about programming and that sort of thing.
There are programs that do this. The different parts of the game are developed independently and only when the different parts are ready are they brought together.