• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Final Fantasy VII Remake for PS4

Kaitara

Reaction score
Square-Enix is finally remaking FFVII!

How hype are you? Gonna buy it? Planning on playing it?

For me and many others I know, we've waited patiently many years for this remake. Since they teased an HD remake for PS3 several years ago, lots of people thought they wouldn't actually go through with it, but keep us waiting forever. While VII might not be the best FF game out there, it is definitely one of the most iconic and was many people's first FF game, maybe first JRPG experience ever. We marvelled at the 3D graphics then, and now we'll be able to marvel at the HD graphics and experience the game all over again.

Anyone else excited for this?

Maelalove

Reaction score
Didn't they state that literally the only reason they are even making the remake was because funs asked for it over and over? Good on the fans, they got what they wanted for so long!
While I am a Final Fantasy fan, I've never actually played 7, although I've wanted to for so long, since I've heard so many amazing things about it. So when I heard that they were remaking it, instead of playing the old one, I decided I wanted to play the remake first, since I'm so confident it will be amazing, and I want to experience it with the new graphics now.
So to answer your question, Yes, I'm super excited! :joyful:

Ramza14

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it. I guess that a lot of people were upset because it's "episodic", but I don't believe that it's going to be episodic in the way that say, the Telltale games are, or Life is Strange. I think it will be more like the Final Fantasy XIII series. Each one will be a fully contained game, with about 40 hours of game play before you finish the main story.

The one thing that I don't like... is voice acting; especially in JRPGs. I guess that I'm a traditionalist in this way, and I think that most games with voice acting sound cheesy with a few exceptions (The Witcher 3). I usually just turn it off it I can. They graphics look great and I'm sure the soundtrack will be great too. I'm curious to see more on it as time goes by.

Lumino Ray

Reaction score
Super excited, definitely.

I've been waiting for years for an HD remake of this game. Considering it was the first RPG I really played and enjoyed, it keeps a very special place. I don't really mind much that it's gonna be split into episodes, since they've assured us that it's being done to make sure none of the content is cut off. Pretty reasonable, considering FF7 is a huge game for today's standards, and most of the scenarios were static pictures. Try moving that to the standards we have today, so it's gonna take a massive amount of effort, and the capcom approach of just remaking the backgrounds in HD falls really short.

So yeah, I'd prefer for them to take their time and make something worthwhile, rather than waste the effort doing something half-baked.

Squigly

Reaction score
The trailer looked absolutely spectacular. It's one of the remakes I'm most looking forward to.

Personally I'm not too fond of the storyline of the newer Final Fantasy titles (Lightning is a pretty uninspired character in my opinion). FFVII is probably my favorite title of the entire series.

Zyni

Reaction score
The trailer looked absolutely spectacular. It's one of the remakes I'm most looking forward to.

Personally I'm not too fond of the storyline of the newer Final Fantasy titles (Lightning is a pretty uninspired character in my opinion). FFVII is probably my favorite title of the entire series.

My daughter would give this post a standing ovation. I had to double check to make sure she didn't sneak onto my computer and write this, ha ha. She loves FF7 the most (and agrees about Lightning too).

So, it looks like there is still a bit of a wait? I just saw pre-orders on Amazon for December of this year? I guess it will be a good Christmas gift for Final Fantasy VII fans.

john franklin

Reaction score
It was my dream to play the remake of Final Fantasy For PS4. I think i still have to wait for the launch of remake. I am really excited to play this game and i would love to be the first person to buy it. Do you have any idea about the location to buy it?

Zyni

Reaction score
Like I said above, you can currently pre-order it on Amazon. I'm not a fan of the whole pre-order thing, but some people might make an exception for this particular offering. The page I saw says it is set for release on December 29th of this year. If you order in advance, you can lock in the price of $59.99 (although that might be for Prime members, which also includes free shipping).

There might be other options for ordering it, but I haven't looked. I happened to come across this one.

The comments suggest that it will be exclusive to PS4 at first but may later also make it to PC.

lordrenly

Reaction score
I am very excited for this and I have been waiting for this since the time it was announced. FFVII was probably one of those games that I delve into the story that much and I became obsessed with. Playing it again in a good graphics will not only bring back those memories about one of the best RPG games ever made but also will make me cry tears of joy of being able to play this game again in PS4 specs. Hopefully, they don't botch the storylines and soundtracks that much because nowadays, with other remakes, they are trying to do a lot of twist to the stories and try to remix the soundtracks but I prefer they keep them the way they are and just focus on the graphics/gameplay.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Oh my god, when I saw the announcement that they will do a remake of FF7 I was through the roof! It is my first Final Fantasy game and my favorite one. I loved it. I still remember every little detail there is because I replayed it over five times.

I do agree that the whole episodic releasing is a bit stupid but I won't complain as long as they don't overcharge or mess it up. The images that they've released so far look very promising and just make me even more excited. It's a bit questionable when they will release it though. I had high hopes for this year but it doesn't seem likely.

I am also curious how they will manage to change the whole combat/battle system. I read that it will be more like FF15 - dynamic and fast instead of the classic battling style. I honestly really enjoy the FF15 battling system so it will be interesting to see it in the old FF7.

Zyni

Reaction score
It's a bit questionable when they will release it though. I had high hopes for this year but it doesn't seem likely.

I'm curious. Why is it questionable; have you heard something? Why do you think it doesn't seem likely?

If they are already accepting pre-orders, they can't push it back too far. Can they? I would hope not after they have taken people's money. It's not something I would really expect from this company. They seem to be a bit more appreciative of their loyal fans than some do.

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
I've never played any Final Fantasy game before, but I might buy this one due to all the hype I've heard about it.

lordrenly

Reaction score
I'm curious. Why is it questionable; have you heard something? Why do you think it doesn't seem likely?

If they are already accepting pre-orders, they can't push it back too far. Can they? I would hope not after they have taken people's money. It's not something I would really expect from this company. They seem to be a bit more appreciative of their loyal fans than some do.

This is actually one of my concerns because they keep us in the dark on the actual release date even though they have been accepting pre-orders. I know that from company-image point of view, it is unlikely that they will push back the release date too far after accepting pre-orders but looking from financial point of view or management point of view, I will not cross out that possibility as well. Well, I guess this is my biased view because almost everything that I care about in the gaming industry has not been great for me especially since the Silent Hill fiasco. I agree though that Square Enix has been relatively better than other game companies so I will keep my hopes up on that.

Chinatown88

Reaction score
I can't wait for this remake. But I know they're going to milk this for a good while. Then again, VII is probably one of their biggest cash cows from the series. Don't let me down Squenix

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Niiiice! It's about time FFVII gets a remake! No disrespect to the classic, I've played the original way back in the PSOne and it was amazing specially for its time. I wonder if they're going to make Cloud and Sephiroth look just like they did in the Advent Children movie, I mean with the PS4's graphics, it doesn't seem impossible.

Zyni

Reaction score
Yes, they will milk it. That's usually the case when things are on pre-order so far in advance. I think it will be worth it to the fans though.

I'm curious what they will look like as well. Square does do graphics well, so I'm sure they won't miss this opportunity to shine. I'm sure everything will look gorgeous.

missionreport

Reaction score
Are they really going to do a remake? Or was it going to be a different storyline I wasn't really sure the trailer narrator confused me. Well it would be great if they stayed loyal to the true FF7. I'm excited to fight Sephiroth in state of the art graphic rendering.

jahanzeb ali qureshi

Reaction score
It would be a great fun to play the remake of Final Fantasy vii. I think the features would be amazing and we would have to plenty of things to do in this game. Graphics would be high definition. The remake was important because people want to play the latest version of it.

dero56

Reaction score
Definitely going to buy it, hope it makes up for the shortcomings of FFXV which I put 120 hours into hoping to get the best experience but felt like it was a mediocre game. Comparing it to Persona 5 that I'm currently playing, FFXV felt more rushed and only half polished for those that have experienced it.

Since the story is all there, I hope the FFVII remake won't disappoint and I don't mind if they take their sweet time and delay it by 6 more months, as long as we get a complete game.

Denis_P

Reaction score
I'm super excited for this because I actually never got to finish the original Final Fantasy VII. I didn't have many games for the PlayStation One growing up, so I only ever got to rent Final Fantasy VII. I never had enough time to finish the entire thing, and by the time I had my own allowance to buy video games it was not only nearly impossible to find a place to buy it but I had some what forgotten about it. I remember seeing it with upgraded graphics during that PS3 tech demo years ago, and I thought to myself "This needs to happen for real!"