• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Final Fantasy VII Remake for PS4

WarVet

Reaction score
Absolutely! FF7 was my favorite FF game. I did like FFX mostly because of Auron but doesn't even compares to FF7. The graphics look amazing and so does the gameplay. I hope the performance actually lives up to the challenge because whenever there too many expectations around something it usually ends up in a fiasco.

lordrenly

Reaction score
Absolutely! FF7 was my favorite FF game. I did like FFX mostly because of Auron but doesn't even compares to FF7. The graphics look amazing and so does the gameplay. I hope the performance actually lives up to the challenge because whenever there too many expectations around something it usually ends up in a fiasco.

Yeah, this has been my most recent experiences with promising remake or sequels. The latest one is Mass Effect Andromeda, which is mainly about graphics. So yeah, as long as the graphics for the remake is consistent with the sneak peak, then I would be very happy to see those memorable scenes in the new graphic, akin to Advent Children. Hopefully, there will not be any unexpected shortcoming that we could not even anticipate now but yeah, I think it is better to keep our expectations from getting too high.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yeah, this has been my most recent experiences with promising remake or sequels. The latest one is Mass Effect Andromeda, which is mainly about graphics. So yeah, as long as the graphics for the remake is consistent with the sneak peak, then I would be very happy to see those memorable scenes in the new graphic, akin to Advent Children. Hopefully, there will not be any unexpected shortcoming that we could not even anticipate now but yeah, I think it is better to keep our expectations from getting too high.

Yeah, they couldn't go wrong. Just make it pretty and they're set because the story is already popular and weel known in gaming circles. Still, there is that little price problem. There will always be people complaining they're paying too much for an older game. And I guess they are right but still...
Many factors to take into consideration

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Fair warning: This will be a stick in the mud comment for most people, but it will be honest.

I love Final Fantasy VII. I have often said it was my generation's "Gone With The Wind", that first time we realized a game could be something more than twitchy shooting or jumping and could deliver an emotional narrative that touched us inside. Of course, looking back on the hackneyed dialogue and angsty teenage relationships of the characters from a modern perspective skews how you see it. You have to bear in mind that at the time it was a profoundly progressive game in many ways that jumped the quality of games ahead by several feet. When it was released it was in a class of its own, and it left a mark on just about everyone who played it which is why it still shows up near the top of "Best Games Ever Made" lists all over the internet from time to time.

Having given this perspective, I will have to ask you forgive me for feeling skeptical about the remaster. As was already stated in this thread, SquareEnix has said they're only doing it to silence fans who have called for it for decades. That's a pretty poor reason to do anything and the attitude with which it was said tells me they may not be exactly bringing their A game to this.

It's also worth noting that we're discussing SquareEnix here and not SquareSoft. The people who made that company the juggernaut it once was, those who made Final Fantasy VII, are mostly gone now. This is the company that brought us the graphically pretty, but narrative-poor, characterization free Final Fantasy XIII and were so clueless about how poor their decisions were that they thought they were going to make it a franchise unto itself. I have exactly zero faith that the people who made those decisions even understand the fundamental basics of what made VII a classic and how to properly curate those features as they revamp it.

Furthermore, as horribly dated as the visuals are, I remember several places where they were integrated into the narrative in a way that elevated the game, not despite its visual ugliness, but in good faith with its visuals. Take the Cloud cross-dressing scene for instance; in a gritty, high def remaster, the cartoony fun of that scene isn't going to come off as innocent and light hearted. It's going to come off as awkward, unamusing, and potentially hurtful to some people. Let's not forget the world has changed around Final Fantasy VII. The game is a product of its times and there's no taking those times out of the game without removing the heart of the experience. If you're going to do that, you may as well just make a new game because it wont actually be Final Fantasy VII no matter what the title marquee says.

I think given the status, design choices, cultural mores of the times it was created in, and the state of SquareEnix at this time, that this is an ill conceived move that will only serve to polarize fans of the franchise and sully the good name of one of gaming's most venerable titles.

I expect this will be an opinion few people share, but I appreciate you all hearing me out!

Last edited:

Zyni

Reaction score
That was a well written post, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions, @JaiGuru. You have certainly added some things to think about.

What good is a discussion board if people can't offer different opinions? It wouldn't be very interesting if everyone just thought and said the same exact thing all the time, would it? So, thanks for that.

I'm sure someone will get offended over the cross dressing thing, no matter how it is addressed, but yeah, good point. Times certainly have changed since the original came out.

zeedollar

Reaction score
This is good new i must say, do you know if it has been out already? i will definitely like to get my hands on that one. The high definition would really be something, just bring it on already.

whatareyou420

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've played FF VII. I barely even remember much of it. Which will be nice when the remake comes out because it's like discovering something new, even though it isn't.

lindbergh

Reaction score
I have to admit that I was excited at first. The possibility of seeing Cloud and company in current generation graphics in HD had my hands sweating.

But, after seeing the trailer, boy, was I thoroughly disappointed.

The environments are too dark and cramped for my taste. It just looks like Devil May Cry. I hope that they make it more open world than what the trailers actually show.

In my opinion, FF games on consoles have been going downhill starting with FFX. Please square, go back to basics.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I apologize for what I'm going to say: I never played Final Fantasy VII. I know many many many many consider it the best FF out there (as with VIII and IX), but I just never had the chance.
This remaster might be an occasion to play it, and I don't even have to worry if it doesn't live up to the original since I never played it! Of course if it sucks and I don't like it, I might think it's fault of the core game... and I would have no way to know.

megaanmaarie

Reaction score
I was super excited just getting to play it in it's original quality on my PS3 a few years back. I haven't seen any good updates about the remake, but at one point I heard it would be in segments, which will really ruin the nostalgia for a lot of people. It feels like they're trying to milk all of the money they can out of the remake. Updates are few and far between about the remake, just quietly annoying all the diehard fans that have been waiting years to see their favorite game with updated graphics and sound.

It's been 20 years since the original came out. We've got a FFX remaster, a FFXII redo, and still it's hush-hush about the game that made the series so well known. It feels like it'll never happen, but they keep dropping the smallest hints it will, and that's keeping everyone on edge, waiting for it to come out.

Tania997

Reaction score
I almost feel like it will never come out. It has been announced two years ago, and like everyone else said, a favorite of the series and a game that made final fantasy so well known is being pushed back by games that not everyone liked? FF12 the zodiac age recently came out, and that game was hated by many when it came out. Something that is so loved like FFVII is nowhere to be found? That seems really strange to me.

Eli Maximilien

Reaction score
I'm optimistic about this Final Fantasy VII remake. However, I'm not without my concerns.

The problem I have with Square Enix, isn't their games. Their games are phenomenal. It's their output and their inability to keep promises. They often will make huge announcements in anticipation for a game that looks incredible and then.... not deliver on time.

The most obvious example of this is the Kingdom Hearts series. How long have fans been waiting for KH3? 10 years? 15 years? It's not a question of whether they can make a great remake of Final Fantasy. It's a question of whether or not they'll deliver it when they promised.

cesarmatute

Reaction score
The closest I've been to FF VII Remake is the collaborative event on Mobius Final Fantasy. The graphics are excellent, but of course nothing compared to what a PS4 could bring. I'm a FF fan, and specially FF VII fan, and I'm eager to play this new upcoming game. What I like the most, is the materia system, which I hope to be renewed in this new version.